Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15780692 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #7035 on: March 25, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

This makes me happy.  Yeah, I know, another Cortex Command post, but that mod is awesome.  Disable the default activities, uncomment the They Hunger activities, fight for your life.

Setting up a pillbox and shooting everything you have as they try to claw their way in is intense, man.

Do you have a full copy of Cortex Command as well?

I may have to try that mod.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: March 25, 2010, 05:37:53 pm »

Yeah, what Jackrabbit said.  If you want to wet yourself when you play the mod and see what those things do, don't read the spoiler.

And ToonyMan, if you want to play with mods you have to buy it.  There's a free trial though.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: March 25, 2010, 05:39:46 pm »

I've owned the game forever.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »

That games intro is awesome.

AWESOME I SAY.

I just reinstalled it, and i'm listening to it now.

Awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: March 25, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »

I had absolutely no idea how to play Cortex Command.  It's like Worms, but in realtime (so I never know what the fuck is happening) with a really crappy physics engine.  Which sucks, because I really want it to be an awesome game.  It reminds me of exactly the kind of game I wanted to make back when I first found out that was possible.

Maybe the full version works better than the demo or something.  I might try it again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: March 25, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

You know how you play Cortex Command?

Four players.
Game pads.
All on the same team.
One base.
Survive.

Funniest shit ever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: March 25, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »

I had absolutely no idea how to play Cortex Command.  It's like Worms, but in realtime (so I never know what the fuck is happening) with a really crappy physics engine.  Which sucks, because I really want it to be an awesome game.  It reminds me of exactly the kind of game I wanted to make back when I first found out that was possible.

Maybe the full version works better than the demo or something.  I might try it again.

What are you talking about?  The physics engine is awesome.  Also, playing it with a bunch of guys isn't much fun.  It's better to defend a bunker with three or four guys that are already in position and can't really do anything too horribly wrong.

That, or take a really overpowered unit (The District 9 Battlesuit is a good choice) and see how many people you can kill before they bring it down.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: March 25, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »

Oh man, I found this old picture on my computer, dated August 19, 2008.

Two of my friends came over and we rocked that shit.  That map was awesome.  It was a HUGE pit that would take at least 10 seconds to hit the bottom if you jumped from the top.

This was also Build 20.  So it was really old.  The current version is 23 I believe.

EDIT:
I found another.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:19:12 pm by ToonyMan »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: March 25, 2010, 06:25:02 pm »

Looks like Teeworlds. But more awesome.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »

I started way back before dropships gibbed.  That led to some insane battlefields.  Huge wastelands of broken dropships a mile high, some of them still running, their thrusters blasting up into the air.  Not only were the maps crazy, they were dangerous too, if you didn't jump high enough you'd fly right into a downed ship's thruster and burn to death.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:25 pm »

I started way back before it was called Cortex Command.
It was called D.I.R.T.
I am the 30th member anyway.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:01 pm »

It looks like an awesome game, I wish I could play it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: March 25, 2010, 06:38:46 pm »

What are you talking about?  The physics engine is awesome.  Also, playing it with a bunch of guys isn't much fun.  It's better to defend a bunker with three or four guys that are already in position and can't really do anything too horribly wrong.

Just reinstalled it, and ran into the same problems in the tutorial level that made me give up on it the first time around:

1) Trying to dig a dummy out of a hole, only to get repeatedly stuck on one niggling little bit of dirt that I can barely see and that my diggerbeam refuses to hit.

2) Robots (Robot 1 specifically) tumbling out of control and rocketing into the ground because I had the audacity to try to correct my flight path.

3) Not so much the physics itself, but a giant problem for me; the delivery rocket can be "controlled" like other bodies, which means if I try to change bodies while a delivery is in process (and God forbid off-screen) I'll suddenly find myself in control of a flying refrigerator.  Yes, selecting away from the rocket does put it back under AI control, but the AI pilot is already trippin' on LSD and that split-second of confusion can send it into a death spiral.

I got every soldier I bought killed in zero-sum matches with those walking-trashcan things, mainly because they would fall into holes, drop their weapons and then stomp them broken, or aim all crazy because the mouse response is schizophrenic to say the least.  I spent my last bit of gold on a dummy with a light digger, only to accidentally select to the rocket.  By the time I switched back (about 0.8 second), it had toppled over, crushed the dummy, and managed to fly down the access shaft.

The combination of sloppy controls, terrible AI, and drunken physics make it virtually unplayable even in what's supposed to be the tutorial.  It's good for a lot of cheap laughs, yes, but if I'm trying to win it's just plain rage-inducing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:41:14 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: March 25, 2010, 06:42:48 pm »

I don't play to win.

I only play skirmish with unlimited cash.  That way I can do whatever I want.

Make sure to place your brain underground with tons of protection though, because after a hour that thing will be gone no matter what.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: March 25, 2010, 06:47:04 pm »

Put three or four 16x16 empty squares way down at the bottom of the map, and put the brain in the middle of it.  The bad guys won't be able to reach it.

Also, Aqizzar, you must've accidentally downloaded the Extra Retarded Edition or something.  I recognize all of the problems you mentioned, but none of them have ever been severe enough to be game-breaking.  Robot 1 sucks though, I'll cede that.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 13325