Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6145 6146 [6147] 6148 6149 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15800576 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: [Pyon] Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh? (Happy Thread)
« Reply #92190 on: October 23, 2012, 10:07:29 am »

I'm betting we'll be the most advanced race we know for a while, considering how we havn't heard anything from any neighbors of ours, so they probably aren't there or are behind us techwise.

I'm just hoping we don't go in for a repeat of colonial America with some poor species playing the native american role.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92191 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:55 am »

If you want to see how big we are...

I love playing these sorts of games, it's truly awesome to be reminded of not only how huge space and galactic objects are, but how "large" of a world there is under a microscope.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #92193 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:56 am »

Yeah, it's so pretty! >_<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92194 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:18 am »

I love playing these sorts of games, it's truly awesome to be reminded of not only how huge space and galactic objects are, but how "large" of a world there is under a microscope.
I think my favorite part of that was seeing the LHC in comparison to Uluru. Having climbed Uluru, that actually gives me a good point of reference.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92195 on: October 23, 2012, 10:37:49 am »

I'm just hoping we don't go in for a repeat of colonial America with some poor species playing the native american role.
Don't worry, it'll be a British-style empire.

And after dealing with a deity for my whole life the vast void of space ain't no thang. Just another pond we'll eventually outgrow.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92196 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:07 am »

some of you will be familiar with this photo.
you see that single bright pixel in the brown band? that's earth, taken by voyager I in 1990.

and I like what Carl Sagan had to say about it:
From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

This is going in my book marks. I need more things like this to chear me up.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #92197 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:27 am »

Carl Sagan's a good writer.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #92198 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:42 am »

How's that for philosophy?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92199 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:48 am »

Don't worry, it'll be a British-style empire.
I volunteer to be Viceroy-General of the Pleiades.
ಠ_ರೃ

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92200 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:28 am »

I volunteer to do absolutely anything that keeps me away from the Anderson chain.

I'm going to feel so awkward if nobody gets that, because space opera.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92201 on: October 23, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

Today I learned that ravens can mimic humans like parrots can. Which is pretty cool in and of itself, but the really cool thing is their voices. They sound dark and sinister.

I really like ravens, because I'm training to become a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92202 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »

I think my favorite part of that was seeing the LHC in comparison to Uluru. Having climbed Uluru, that actually gives me a good point of reference.

My favorite was seeing that the Minecraft world is about as big as Neptune.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92203 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »

Today I learned that ravens can mimic humans like parrots can.

Without this fact, The Raven would have been a significantly less interesting poem, you know. :P

They usually have a far more limited vocabulary than the more talky parrots, however. And they are, sadly, illegal to keep as pets in most places. :(

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #92204 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »

My favorite was seeing that the Minecraft world is about as big as Neptune.
I was expecting to find "Your mother" as the very top level one. I am disappoint.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 6145 6146 [6147] 6148 6149 ... 13325