Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12483 12484 [12485] 12486 12487 ... 13324

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15676339 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #187260 on: September 26, 2018, 09:12:38 am »

The Welfare state need to care for its elders as it does it's middlers and childer. The idea of a welfare state hinges on the idea that we should all work for each other, together, as a togetherhood. If you reject this cornerstone then you are rejecting the idea of a welfare state in itself. If you question why you should provide for grandma then you might as well start questioning why you should provide for anyone. It is at it's heart a selfish line of reasoning, that of a spoiled child - "I should receive, but I shouldn't have to give".
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187261 on: September 26, 2018, 09:38:42 am »

The Welfare state need to care for its elders as it does it's middlers and childer. The idea of a welfare state hinges on the idea that we should all work for each other, together, as a togetherhood. If you reject this cornerstone then you are rejecting the idea of a welfare state in itself. If you question why you should provide for grandma then you might as well start questioning why you should provide for anyone. It is at it's heart a selfish line of reasoning, that of a spoiled child - "I should receive, but I shouldn't have to give".

Originally social security was so that working grandma contributed to retired grandma.  It was a time based wealth transfer but not a generational one.  But naturally the government already wasted grandma's contribution so she needs to eat mom's contribution.  Now mom is retired but her contribution went to grandma so she needs to eat our share.  Assuming SS even exists when (if) I retire, I'd have to eat my children's contribution.

If you really wanted future generations to be better off, you wouldn't be sapping their incomes for right now.  Spending that money right now, for yourself, is what is selfish here.  Why should I give if what I receive may really not exist.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want another.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187262 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:08 am »

Having children doesn't have unlimited possible payoff because unlimited growth is impossible. Either we find a way to halt population growth at a level that's stable or we suffer massive dieoffs as we run out of resources to exploit. Either way your "contribution" was nothing but harmful, in the end.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187263 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:52 am »

Even if we achieve  perfect one child per person cycle there is still unlimited amount of contribution from an unlimited number of descendants, which dwarves the amount of contribution any one person could possibly achieve on their own. Sure, then resources run out, then the sun explodes, then the universe dies the cold death, but that is irrelevant to the comparison of one person vs one person who begets a child.
Love, scriver~

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187264 on: September 26, 2018, 10:44:03 am »

Call me Guy fawking Fawkes.

Ooh, did you blow up parliament?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187265 on: September 26, 2018, 10:55:46 am »

If not you can blow up mine, is not like anyone is really using it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187266 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:32 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:43:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187267 on: September 26, 2018, 11:17:27 am »

Call me Guy fawking Fawkes.
Playing Fallout 3?  I didn't know Fawkes was romanceable.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #187268 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »

In a welfare society, having children is the greatest contribution you can ever contribute. Not having children, if you had the possibility, means you lay your own agedhood care upon the shoulders of other people's children and grandchildren.
Or don't have kids, kys at retirement  :P
I mean, it's an even bigger net contribution.
No, because it does not contribute to all future generations. When you choose not to have children the welfare state does not loose just your children, but your grandchildren, and grandchildren, and so on forever. No accomplishment or contribution you could ever net for your society can ever stand up to the infinite possible contributions of your offspring.
So then the solution is clear: Have kids, teach them the value of killing themselves at retirement #YOLO!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:09:12 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #187269 on: September 26, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »

Originally social security was so that working grandma contributed to retired grandma.  It was a time based wealth transfer but not a generational one.  But naturally the government already wasted grandma's contribution so she needs to eat mom's contribution.  Now mom is retired but her contribution went to grandma so she needs to eat our share.  Assuming SS even exists when (if) I retire, I'd have to eat my children's contribution.

If you really wanted future generations to be better off, you wouldn't be sapping their incomes for right now.  Spending that money right now, for yourself, is what is selfish here.  Why should I give if what I receive may really not exist.
I've already explained before in the Ameripol thread, but the way social security is set up is essentially a reverse bracketed income tax.  AKA the more money you make the less percentage of your income you pay.  Its fundamentally stupid and it places undo burden on young people trying to start their lives.  SS takes money the way almost every other welfare system in existence GIVES money.

Its also worth pointing out that the gap in life expectancy in the US between the richest and poorest people is ~10 years, meaning the average rich person will receive about twice the social security benefits as a poor person.  The people who need help put more money in and get less money out.  Well designed welfare system.

Although this is in comparison to a hypothetical actually good system, obviously SS is far superior to nothing.  But the thing you have to understand is that almost all statistics on US federal spending will bundle in SS with welfare like food stamps.  This lets Republicans keep their "the handouts are ruining the economy!" narrative, when in reality social security (which Republican politicians support in absolute terms) is 3/4s of that bundle.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
Note that US unemployment is conditional and fairly short term.  And I don't even know what the fuck "labor" expenses are, maybe the tiny portion of the budget OSHA takes?  The reality is that SS is just a hair under a third of our mandatory spending (thus a quarter of our overall federal spending); our broken welfare and healthcare systems are the only things that can be legitimately blamed for our debt/deficit.  But no clearly according to that chart the problem is unemployment payouts and... unions?  Somehow.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187270 on: September 26, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »

Someone tried to poach me over the phone at work and offer me like twice my current salary.

1: They had obviously been drinking
2: It's super skeevy to try and poach someone over the phone it must be a scam, nothing that good ever happens to me
3: Someone thought I was good enough to try and poach, though
4: Someone thought I was good enough to try and poach and my self esteem is like ye boi
5: yeeee boiiiii
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #187271 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:00 pm »

Someone tried to poach me over the phone at work and offer me like twice my current salary.
Double your money with one simple trick!

... was it multi-level marketing?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187272 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:43 pm »

I've already explained before in the Ameripol thread, but the way social security is set up is essentially a reverse bracketed income tax.  AKA the more money you make the less percentage of your income you pay.  Its fundamentally stupid and it places undo burden on young people trying to start their lives.  SS takes money the way almost every other welfare system in existence GIVES money.

Its also worth pointing out that the gap in life expectancy in the US between the richest and poorest people is ~10 years, meaning the average rich person will receive about twice the social security benefits as a poor person.  The people who need help put more money in and get less money out.  Well designed welfare system.

Although this is in comparison to a hypothetical actually good system, obviously SS is far superior to nothing.  But the thing you have to understand is that almost all statistics on US federal spending will bundle in SS with welfare like food stamps.  This lets Republicans keep their "the handouts are ruining the economy!" narrative, when in reality social security (which Republican politicians support in absolute terms) is 3/4s of that bundle.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
Note that US unemployment is conditional and fairly short term.  And I don't even know what the fuck "labor" expenses are, maybe the tiny portion of the budget OSHA takes?  The reality is that SS is just a hair under a third of our mandatory spending (thus a quarter of our overall federal spending); our broken welfare and healthcare systems are the only things that can be legitimately blamed for our debt/deficit.  But no clearly according to that chart the problem is unemployment payouts and... unions?  Somehow.

1. Everywhere is not the US
2. The US is not a welfare state
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187273 on: September 26, 2018, 12:31:06 pm »

They.... actually sounded sort of legit, claimed they were some manner of bigwig in shipping which is what i'm in, and I am legit really good at what I do over the phone and it's not the first time someone has tried to poach me but the other times they were like 1000 miles away, and I do like the company I work at even if they pay me under the standard and have some problems.

This time they are like, one state away, but they were obviously drinking (they told me they were drinking) what do I do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #187274 on: September 26, 2018, 12:59:50 pm »

They.... actually sounded sort of legit, claimed they were some manner of bigwig in shipping which is what i'm in, and I am legit really good at what I do over the phone and it's not the first time someone has tried to poach me but the other times they were like 1000 miles away, and I do like the company I work at even if they pay me under the standard and have some problems.

This time they are like, one state away, but they were obviously drinking (they told me they were drinking) what do I do.

Check out what you can, if it seems legit may as well take it.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 12483 12484 [12485] 12486 12487 ... 13324