Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12275 12276 [12277] 12278 12279 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15846740 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #184140 on: December 15, 2017, 01:06:59 am »

Just found Wim Hof's new safety video. Quite enjoyable.

Neverforce.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184141 on: December 15, 2017, 04:43:42 pm »

It took me about a week's worth of accumulated time spread over the search of every object in my house, twice, but I finally found my missing things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184142 on: December 15, 2017, 04:52:51 pm »

Nice!  Glad you found them.
Sometimes I consider doing a complete and proper inventory of my things.  I played Quartermaster enough, both in Boy Scouts and SS13
But it's also nice to have an air of mystery about my things.  Where's my multitool- oh, by the sink!  How odd!
Since, unlike earlier, I'm living in a place where I can trust my housemates.  Which is very much a happy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184143 on: December 15, 2017, 06:03:33 pm »

Alita is a cyborg.  Just like the innumerable other cyborgs running around in the Battle Angel universe.  I know how these rumors of her being a gynoid got started, and the only way they will stop is by informing people, so I will.

Definitely time to take away Cameron's CGI card.

The trailer specifically referred to her as an "android". Wrong of course, "gynoid" is more accurate, but I'm not familiar with the source material. Never heard of it until seeing the trailer. As for her being a cyborg(which means she's human with robot parts) with anime eyes, well, maybe her vision is augmented.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184144 on: December 15, 2017, 06:20:05 pm »

Not really, it's definitely Cameron exercising his creative interpretation muscles.  Alita is supposed to be an attractive young (well, she's actually much older than she seems to be, but that doesn't matter) woman who, other than being a martial artist terrorist from Mars with severe amnesia, is a fairly standard cyborg.  She just happens to be one of a very few remaining practitioners of the "Panzer Kunst" martial art, that is very literally the only thing that makes her unique.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184145 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:43 pm »

Well... she's also more cyborg than most.  Only her brain is organic.  Most other characters in the setting have more fleshyness to them than that.  This doesn't exactly make her unique.  There are plenty of other characters that are just brains in a cyborg body, and almost everyone has some body part replacement/modification going on.  As I recall of the setting, it's just not portrayed as common to be 100% brain in a machine, and most of the characters who are have taken it to some bizarre extreme (knife hands lady in the trailer is just the beginning).  It has been like 7 years since I read the manga, though.

And yeah... the Panzer Kunst thing is getting into major spoiler territory.  That's probably something you won't learn about until after the first movie, assuming there are going to be multiple films, and the first one sticks to the first major story arc the same way the OVA did.  Seems like a pretty safe assumption.  Suffice to say there's nothing special about her physically.

All they have to do is keep the downer ending, and I'll be happy.  That's seriously the only thing they have to do.  It won't be popular with mass American audiences, but fuck them.  Just give me cool cyborg fights and the downer ending that motivates Alita to snap out of the child-like innocent stage of her amnesia and go on her journey of self-discovery.  For the first movie. 

After the first movie, I just want to see good representations of Desty Nova, Kaos, and Figure Four, and play straight with the Secret of Tiphares.  I'm not asking for much!!!!  *anxious, paranoid twitching*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184146 on: December 15, 2017, 07:24:37 pm »

I'm cool just watching robots kung-fu each other.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #184147 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:50 pm »

everyrobot was kung-fu fighting
robokick fast as lightning
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184148 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »

*snip*

The Makaku fight is in this movie, Panzer Kunst isn't really spoilers given that fact alone.

If Cameron manages to one-for-one even a few of the fight scenes, it will be amazing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #184149 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:41 am »

I just found a browser extension, which blocks recommended videos. It's not perfect by any means, since it just hides recommended videos tab and doesn't do anything more complicated than that, but at least I will not see right-wing navel-gazers, like The Amazing Atheist or Sargon of Akkad on my recommended list anymore. I don't have an idea why I get stuff like "DAE LIBRULS SUX XD", when I very rarely search or watch political stuff.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184150 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:47 am »

The Amazing Atheist definitely isn't "right wing". He slams on conservatives as hard as he does on anyone else. Perhaps plenty of the people worried about the more extreme elements of the left are on the left and they want to take those guys down because ... they actually give a shit about progressive politics and don't want a bunch of complete assholes defining it. I guarantee that's true.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184151 on: December 17, 2017, 04:13:53 am »

gawd I hope so...  Sometimes I wonder if that's where all the clowns went when Barnum and Bailey went out of business. (but I have the same thought when I see the current administration, so your mileage may vary.)

Regardless, there has been a decided reduction in evidence based policy from both major groups, leaving people who indeed actually give a shit about such things scratching their heads, wondering why everyone has lost their damned minds.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184152 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:06 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHlShNGjBA

As an example, google "amazing atheist liberals" found this video. How Liberals Can Win Again. At the end, he states a couple of ideas, and says "if liberals could pull off those two things, i believe the country could be ours".

The word "Ours" there is the key part. Amazing Atheist is stating his side as being "Team Liberal", and the reason he hates the extremists is in fact the reason I said: they are a destructive force on the inside of liberal politics. Things like mentioned in the video, attacking Milo Yiannopolous ... Amazing Atheist hates that because it strengthens Milo. The right wing are laughing about the anti-Milo protests. Burning your own colleges down to protest Milo is fucking dumb and makes you as bad as them, while undermining progressive politics and strengthening the right wing. People thinking they're heroes because the beat up a female academic who had the gall to invite Charles Murray as a speaker in a debate. Is that the liberalism you signed up for? When the vanguard of the supposed "left" are running around like brownshirts and conducting pogroms on anyone who thinks different things, then that's just fucked up, and it's questionable whether it's really "progressive" at all: liberalism is by far the dominant political ideology on campuses. Basically, the people pushing the extremely intolerant SJW stuff on campus are probably the same people who'd become loyal brownshirts if the culture was different. Assholes are assholes, only the dominant ideology changes, the assholes don't.

It's not the right wing telling people to pull their fucking heads in. The right wing are loving that shit, let's get that straight: it's their #1 recruiting tool.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:50:33 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #184153 on: December 17, 2017, 04:43:49 am »

Yeah, and that Reddit meltdown where he laughed off a feminist rape victim? What a swell and rational guy, that TJ. Even his fellow meninists were fucking disgusted. Sorry, but in my opinion (and let me put emphasis on OPINION) this guy is an idiot who's simply saying controversial stuff for the ad revenue and cheap heat/fame.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184154 on: December 17, 2017, 04:53:07 am »

I get the feeling that you think anyone who's not 100% on board with SJW politics are all undifferentiated Hitlers. Using ridiculous terms like "meninists" for anyone who isn't 100% on board with the doctrine.

News flash: the world isn't black and white, you can be opposed to a groups ideas without being the literal opposite of that group. I disagree with lots of feminist groups because they can be shown to be using doctored statistics. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to all ideas that feminists have. But it doesn't matter how many ideas we agree on. I'm not going to support groups that can be shown plain as day to repeatedly use doctored statistics and false claims, and is looking more and more like a religion rather than any sort of sane policy creators every day.

It's the same as saying, I'm not a Christian. Does that make me the anti-Christ? Similarly, not being convinced that feminist theory is a correct interpretation of reality doesn't make me the "anti-feminist". That's a construct created by feminists. People who aren't feminists don't define themselves in terms created by feminists, because that just doesn't make any sense.

e.g. not being a feminist doesn't make you a card carry "meninist" it makes you normal. As shown by the UK survey that showed 86% of men agreed with gender equality, but only 4% consider themselves feminists. Feminists can claim that the 86% of men only believe in treating women fairly "because of feminism" but ... there's actually very little evidence for that, other than the feminist belief that the only path to gender equality is the feminismtm brand version. This ... isn't that different to e.g. the Church claiming that all "compassion" comes from the church. There's no real evidence that's the case, it's just the church claiming a monopoly on "goodness". Feminism also claims a monopoly on "equality". However, there's really not a lot of evidence that proves that's actually true: we only have feminism's word for it. When a small group claims to be the sole and only source of a belief that's pretty much held universally by the entire community, then that's starting to sound like a cultist belief system.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:10:28 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 12275 12276 [12277] 12278 12279 ... 13326