Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379230 times)

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #315 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:04 pm »

That reminds me, I wanted to post some great skull references I found.  I used to draw skulls from photos a lot (don't have a reproduction, alas), but I always thought that it was hard to figure out the geometry from photos of real skulls; they're just too complex.

These are great because they're simplified, and you can really grok the planar structure by looking at them.  Maybe someone here will find them useful. 

From Bammes, Der Nackte Mensch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have struck Microcline!

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #316 on: October 21, 2009, 03:48:03 pm »

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/11887

That is the one I got, very affordable as far as these things go.

Here is a decent picture of it so you know what you are getting into.

Sketches:

If anyone needs it for reference at a certain angle, I don't mind taking pictures of it.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2009, 12:15:28 am »

Well, here's my sketches for today.

I'm thinking of starting a sketchbook at CA.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:45 am »

Hot damn, they all look great.
Right now I'm busy coming up with things to hide in the brain cavity.
You should mold or buy one of em' gelatinous brains and stick it inside. Fun. :D

In other news, I regard this as my finest photoshop creation:

That is pretty darn good for meh.
I was messing about with the blending options and multiple layers... and ended up with this. I can't seem to get antialias working though... :(
The colour and font kinda reminds me of the Warhammer 40k Dawn of War font... It looks kinda worn down like it too.
What do you guys think? Critique please?
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2009, 06:40:45 am »

This isn't -strictly- DF-related, but it IS a creature I've modded into the game. <3 Flash.

I'm trying to produce cleaner drawings/zoom in to draw more often.  The one on the left is trying new techniques, the one on the right is a quickie.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:32 am »

Spreggo, those are great.  I think you're definitely improving, too.  Are you left-handed?

You should totally make a sketchbook on ca.org.

Killas[SiN], that does look like the 40k font.  If I were you, I'd erase the streaks between the letters; they're sort of making it look like the word is covered in plastic-wrap.

Lofn - great linework; I like his weapon.  I can't figure out if it's a crossbow, loads from a clip, or is liquid/gas powered or something from that bottle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:58:26 am by Balathustrius »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »

Lofn - great linework; I like his weapon.  I can't figure out if it's a crossbow, loads from a clip, or is liquid/gas powered or something from that bottle.

All three?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:57 pm »

@Lofn:  :o AWESOME!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:13 pm »

It looks cool.  But what is it, Lofn?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #324 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:41 pm »

Nope I'm a righty, why do you ask?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 22, 2009, 09:52:36 pm »

Alright, I've got something I've been working on to understand the form of the face better, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting a good image of it online. My scanner seems to have trouble with pencil, and the pictures coming from my camera aren't too much better. Does anybody have any tips for scanning in pencil?

Anyway, here's the best I could get:
I think I need to understand the form of the lips better - they don't look right to me.

Lofn - your lineart is awesome - I just wish I knew what it is. Are you planning on coloring them?

Spreggo - Those sketches are great! What does the inside of the cranium of the skull look like? Is it like a real skull?

Oh, and Balathustrius, thanks for the stuff from Der Nackte Mensch; I've been browsing through the book online - lots of helpful stuff in there. Unfortunately the version I found is pretty low quality - I'll look for a better one tommorrow.

That looks pretty awesome Killas - Balathustrius is right though, the streaks kinda obscure the text.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #326 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »

jarathor - I'll take some pictures of the inside when I get a chance. It looks like it was molded from the inside of a skull.

Lofn - Looks great, I'd like to see it colored. The legs look short but that was probably on purpose. You might play with moving the hips up though? Harder to say with non-humans.

Anyway, here's my contribution for the day...

The skull is really helpful to have around, since it is interesting enough to use as a reference when I can't find any photos I want to work from.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #327 on: October 23, 2009, 03:59:09 am »

In my mod they're referred to as 'linear rifles', which fire 'cells'.  Originally they were basically rifle-sized railguns but the concept has departed from that radically, as you can see.  I think the stuff in the bottles turns slugs from the clip into plasma, and it's then propelled out of the barrel by a blast of gas.
</makingstuffup>

Quote from: LegoLord
It looks cool.  But what is it, Lofn?

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

They're a bunch of birdlike scavengers who live in the desert, digging out ruins and debris from an ancient advanced civilization and rebuilding their weapons and gear.

Quote from: jarathor
Lofn - your lineart is awesome - I just wish I knew what it is. Are you planning on coloring them?

Thank you, and yes, I am.  I need to reinstall Flash first, though.

Quote from: Spreggo
Lofn - Looks great, I'd like to see it colored. The legs look short but that was probably on purpose. You might play with moving the hips up though? Harder to say with non-humans.

I was going for a kind of elongated look for the body, but I can see how they do look kinda odd.  I'll have a fiddle.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 23, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »

Spreggo, just the way you render.  I have a hard time making a stroke like that (unless your scanner is flipping the drawings; I feel dumb for not thinking of that).

Here's an update on that hammerdwarf and an environment WIP

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #329 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:05 pm »

Spreggo, just the way you render.  I have a hard time making a stroke like that (unless your scanner is flipping the drawings; I feel dumb for not thinking of that).

They aren't flipped... I started doing that recently because I'm trying to think about 'massing shadows' like people keep saying on CA. I try to hatch all in one direction going over it to make it darker. I go that direction specifically because I find it easier to pull the pencil towards myself than to run it sideways or something like that. It seems to produce the straightest lines. Once I'm more comfortable with the shadows then I'll probably start doing it in all directions depending on the surface.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 296