Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377214 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1155 on: April 23, 2010, 05:00:26 am »

They don't really have an equivalent to dwarves though...

Leperchauns.

Yes, that was misspelled by mistake, and left there on purpose.  :D

But there are many "underground diminiutive people", the Aes Sidhe, the Tuatha de Danann, and less spiritual ones... There's also stories of tribes in Scotland that were driven underground by the Gaels. I believe those inspired Tolkien's dwarves in the first place. Edit: apparently I believed wrongly

@akigagak: The Picts, perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:47:23 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 23, 2010, 05:04:28 am »

Tolkien's dwarves are based partly on Norse dark elves (which are dwarves), with Semitic linguistics and various other things.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 23, 2010, 05:05:11 am »

But Faultie can take some artistic liberties, riiight?

Anyways, when he makes it, I just want the Formorians. :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:22 am »

What does that do? he goes epileptic and opens Warp Portals?
Spoiler: From The Táin: (click to show/hide)

But there are many "underground diminiutive people", the Aes Sidhe, the Tuatha de Danann, and less spiritual ones... There's also stories of tribes in Scotland that were driven underground by the Gaels.
The tuatha de danann were always more like elves than dwarves (even after they were driven underground and became the Aes Sidhe)

If you really want dwarves, you could make it a Celtic/Norse hybrid, which would be awesome. "Jörmungandr the Midgar Serpent has arrived at your fortress. You are dead." I don't really know any race that could be dwarves in Celtic myhtology though.

That may be the only way to go about it :-\
Norse Mythology offers a few good megabeast Ideas as well: frost giants, World serpents, colossal Wolves...

@akigagak: The Picts, perhaps?
I think the celts, the gaels, the picts, and the Fir Bolg would work better as races of men.
Fomorians would obviously be the goblin equivalent (except with more castes...)
The tuatha would be noble, forest dwelling elves, and the Sidhe could dwell in those kobold mounds that they have in the new version.

I also need Ideas on plants and metals to replace those which are unique to dwarf fortress.
I'm thinking of replacing Adamantine with a legendary Norse Alloy called Orichalcum.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:11:29 am by Fault »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:40 am »

Dude, that's awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:40 am »

But there are many "underground diminiutive people", the Aes Sidhe, the Tuatha de Danann, and less spiritual ones... There's also stories of tribes in Scotland that were driven underground by the Gaels.
The tuatha de danann were always more like elves than dwarves (even after they were driven underground and became the Aes Sidhe)

Yeah that's true, and the sidhe include things like banshees, which are clearly not related to the dwarves.

No, I stay with leprechauns. Although they're more hobbit-like.

Really, the only ones from Gaelic mythology that even remotely come close to dwarves are the gaels themselves  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 23, 2010, 01:46:22 pm »

*I'm not sure if this is Indian or Celtic myth, but there was a Cyclopean guy who could basically shoot a laser out of his eye. I think it's Indian.
"In Irish mythology, Balor of the Evil Eye was a king of the Fomorians, a race of giants. His father was Buarainech and his wife was Cethlenn. According to legend, he lived on Tory Island. Balor was notable for his one eye, which could kill anyone it looked upon. He gained this power as a child when watching his father's druids preparing poisonous spells, the fumes of which rose into his eye. His eye was normally kept closed, only to be opened on the battlefield by four men using a handle fitted to his eyelid, or, in some versions, a system of ropes and pulleys."

Reading further into this, it states that it was not Balor's gaze which killed people - he actually shot a fiery beam from his eye. When he died and fell to the earth, his eye burned a big hole in the ground which eventually became a lake.

EDIT: Oooh! Do Cuchulainn in the Warp Spasm!
I have finished a watercolour of warped Cuchulainn - but I can't access my scanner until three o'clock  :(

Yeah that's true, and the sidhe include things like banshees, which are clearly not related to the dwarves.
Really, the only ones from Gaelic mythology that even remotely come close to dwarves are the gaels themselves  ::)
ooh yeah I should include Banshees! Probably as a cast of sidhe.. (they should be able to fly, though I'm not sure about giving them a wailing attack or something...)

BIG QUESTION HERE: are there any professions (mechanic, for instance) that might not fit well with the celtic setting?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1162 on: April 23, 2010, 03:45:40 pm »

If anyone would like they can do some characters/things/places from mah book.

Guardian statue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And later

Or this happy camper

Or Appcendra

go ahead and use them for inspiration if you feel like it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »

BIG QUESTION HERE: are there any professions (mechanic, for instance) that might not fit well with the celtic setting?
Soap maker? :)

There's a lot on the aes sidhe and fae on the internet though, there's quite a few subcastes and differentiation in "subspecies".

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1164 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:56 pm »

BIG QUESTION HERE: are there any professions (mechanic, for instance) that might not fit well with the Celtic setting?
Doctor seems a little out of place
I don't remember any Philosophers hailing from celtic culture either

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 23, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »

cuchulainn, in the throes of a warp-spasm.

he wields Gáe Bulg, a terrible barbed spear (which you apparently have to throw with your foot...). Once Gáe Bulg has pierced its victim, the victim's body must be carved into pieces before the spear can be removed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1166 on: April 23, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »

that be a bit different from what I remember of Cuchulainn...

Apperently when they say that his berserker rage makes him into a monstrous forms they really mean that it turns him inside out.

Also, why doesn't he have 7 fingers, 7 toes and 7 pupils?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 23, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »

If I had followed the exact description (eyeballs hanging out, backwards legs, balls of sinew everywhere) he would have ended up looking ungainly and comical.

I went with the "turned around in his skin" and the "face pulled back until his gullet appeared" thing. his legs could be all bent up for all we know - they just aren't visible in the picture.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1168 on: April 23, 2010, 06:25:17 pm »

If I had followed the exact description (eyeballs hanging out, backwards legs, balls of sinew everywhere) he would have ended up looking ungainly and comical.

I went with the "turned around in his skin" and the "face pulled back until his gullet appeared" thing. his legs could be all bent up for all we know - they just aren't visible in the picture.
Yeah, that tends to be a problem with these mythical creatures and figures: their forms are often impossible to really visually represent as anything except bizarre clusters of madness. Like the hindu gods with the thousand heads and 40 legs and and 67 penises in the shape of bull intestines or something.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 23, 2010, 06:30:50 pm »

cuchulainn, in the throes of a warp-spasm.

[/img]

he wields Gáe Bulg, a terrible barbed spear (which you apparently have to throw with your foot...). Once Gáe Bulg has pierced its victim, the victim's body must be carved into pieces before the spear can be removed.

This is how he greets his wife, hugs and kisses golem, every day.

"Hooooneeeeyy, IIII'mmmm HOOOOooooome!"
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 296