Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value  (Read 5434 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:28 am »

It's not particularly difficult if you have water and magma in the same general area.
Yeah. The easiest way that comes to mind is a magmaduct passing under the floor of a body of water.

I have to wonder how well magma conducts heat through rock. As I understand it magma itself is exceptionally poor at transferring heat. But perhaps the area around magma pipes and pools should be more dangerous in general.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:33 am »

I dunno anything about magma. I'm no geographer, or geologist. Why is it bad at transferring heat?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:36 am »

i think it has to do with the state that magma is in. its not quite a liquid or solid or goo.... i forgot alot of the states of matter but, as the state of magma is like a demi solid or demi liquid it doesnt convey as much heat as a person would think. magma is quite hot but the temperature of the air around it, while hot, is no where near as hot as you would think would be conveyed....

for example,(im not using real figures) if the magma was 100 degrees Far. then the air would be like.....50 deg. Far.

not the actual ratio, but it gets the point across.

If i was comparing anything to a Genocidal amount i would have mentioned the Armenians and their struggles, because they are more famous than the nazis around here for that.

meybe i should have called whoever a skinhead instead? no genocide but very strong and fierce prejudice, much like the nazis in themselves.

consider yourself enlightened. so go bugger yourself you wanker.
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 02:17:14 am »

please, please. Give reference to who you're calling a wanker. You could offend people.
Also. You use words like bugger, and wanker like an aussie, but talk in Far. Stop fucking archetype mixing!
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 06:57:58 am »

I always assumed fortresses were filled with bioluminescent fungi anyway, otherwise how do dwarves see what they're doing? Even the best night-vision in the world doesn't work in zero light.
I figured dwarves maybe have glowing fungi growing on the walls, or in their beards or something.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:54 am »

dude - they're DF dwarves. They work like ants to the hive. They already know the shortest way to the kitten, and they're all about getting it, whether it means going through a stream of 5\7 water and cancelling or not. This also explains the "dwarven fire fear phenomenon". They just don't see or feel it, but are told by their greater concious to stockpile it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:21 am »

I always assumed fortresses were filled with bioluminescent fungi anyway, otherwise how do dwarves see what they're doing? Even the best night-vision in the world doesn't work in zero light.
I figured dwarves maybe have glowing fungi growing on the walls, or in their beards or something.

Lighting arc's set for the future, but right now the best we're getting is limited vision-persistence in the new caves, so we can explore them.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 08:59:09 am »

i think it has to do with the state that magma is in. its not quite a liquid or solid or goo.... i forgot alot of the states of matter but, as the state of magma is like a demi solid or demi liquid it doesnt convey as much heat as a person would think. magma is quite hot but the temperature of the air around it, while hot, is no where near as hot as you would think would be conveyed....

I don't think the heat trasnfer has to do with lava being a pseudoplastic fluid (i.e. exhibiting thixotropy), but rather due to the fact that it cools rapidly and forms a shell, which would reflect internal heat back in on itself, keeping the interior warm without radiating much to the surrounding environment.

That said, I have no source to back me up, though I did try to find some information.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »

yeah, i would go ask my old Chemistry teacher, but as i ended up dropping out of school two years ago, aside from the internet, i dont have my resources that i used to.

as for who i was calling a bloody wanker, it was legolord. but that was besides the point.

as for how i talk, what do you mean by "Far"?

if you think how i type is archtype mixing, you should hear me.... im of Norwegian descent on me dad side, Irish on me moms side, born and raised in america and with an accent like a "Norn Iron"  aka person from Northern Ireland.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »

It's a good thing I don't know what a wanker is.  But look, the whole deal with nazis is still a sensitive issue in places.  There are plenty of other things you could compare us to that might be more appropriate (and I use "appropriate" loosely, as calling people names does not make your side of the debate sound any better).  The fact is there are people who disagree with you.  You, who is just another one of us, and just because you like an idea does not obligate any others to agree, and gives you no right to make personal remarks.  Now drop it.

As for magma, from what I hear it is indeed as Draco 18s describes it.  Unfortunately, just briefly looking at this article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava
doesn't immediately suggest that it is the case.  It's a long article and I don't have the time to read it right now.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:57 pm »

I read that as well. There was an interesting bit about lava tubes, and how they actually start as surface flows that melt their way down into previously formed rock. They also build up walls around their sides, but that melting thing caught my interest. If magma could re-melt volcanic rocks, it would make magmaneering projects a whole lot more interesting.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:07 am »

mmm. and dangerous.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:31 am »

well, while i wont explain what a wanker is, i will offer an apology towards Legolord and anyone else who was offended. while i could make excuses, like saying i was sleep-deprived and irratable, or something, it doesnt change the fact that i was being an ass.... so...
Im sorry.

tho i still wanna know about that "Far" thing.....

I was always told that there was a difference between Lava and Magma.

so what is the difference, or why would you bring up lava when its a magma based discussion?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:58 am »

I'm guessing you meant farenheit.
Australians don't use farenheit.
Americans don't use wanker
Australians don't use jerk
Americans don't use... yeah, I'm out. Metric?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:46 am »

Lava is on the surface, magma is under it.

Code for game would be =>  If Square.Outside = true then 'lava', else 'magma'

but that's a waste of time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5