Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value  (Read 5421 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:58:51 pm »

Because nothing says "spectacular" like having a chamber which is submerged in magma.

This would also be nice to give some official credit to heating and plumbing systems.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damp/Warm Walls add Room Value
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:09:21 am »

Having the walls of my room be damp would be rather undesirable, what with the fungus growing everywhere.

As for warm walls and floors, being next to magma may not make dwarves comfortable, and the only use I can see is as a form of heating, should the fortress be in a cold biome. Perhaps the value of a room could be proportional to how close the temperature of the room is to the temperature dwarves are most comfortable with?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:11:19 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:15:11 am »

I dunno. damp-no. but warm would be cool. I'd pay more to live there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:12:52 am »

This should depend on ambient map temperature. Damp walls in a desert should be worth big bucks; on a glacier not so much. The reverse for magma.

It's possible for a wall to be both, yes? What happens then? :P
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:43:39 am »

Win. Obviously.

However, I honestly have to say that - no matter the temperature (which would be low considering the fact that we're surrounded by stone tens of meters underground) - I would kill to live in a room where the walls glowed like I'm inside a giant lava lamp.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:00:32 am »

I would kill to live in a room where the walls glowed like I'm inside a giant lava lamp.
You'd be killed pretty quick.  If the walls are glowing in the visible from blackbody radiation, as they would be if they were close to magma, they would also emit tons of infrared radiation, which would heat you until you started glowing too.  Maybe a dwarf can bear that, but a human would catch fire....

Note: there's a completely different route to create a naturally glowy underground room, if the right minerals are available.  But that would also kill a human -- via cancer.  That said, the blue glowy room will kill a lot slower than the yellow glowy room.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:10:17 am »

Note: Michael.
Not to discredit your knowledge in the areas of heat chemistry, or overexaggerate mine.
Simple radiated heat could not allow a person to spontaneously combust. The yellowing of the walls would not be caused by radiation - but an enormous amount of heat on the other side of the wall - causing it to glow due to atomic vibration - and pressure, which is the only reason why the wall hasn't melted yet. True - If you were to touch, or come into contact with the wall, your hand would blister, at least - if not catch like a faggot. However, I agree that a blue glowy room would be awesomely deadly. Unless there's a lot of lead shielding. Which would stop the blue glow. Damn. Besides - do dwarves get cancer?

And if you want to get technical, you forget that water seeping out of stone is the perfect incubator for various pathogens, including ebola. But this is dwarf fortress, and that stuff doesn't happen. A bloody miner, can dig out a wall which leads to direct magma flow - With his copper pick, before outrunning the magma and leaving it blocked up with a chalk floodgate. Meanwhile the smith above it, can tap directly into the magma to heat his smithing materials? Face it - Realism and dwarf fortress don't match - Only dwarf fortress and awesome.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:17:38 am »

and another glowey fact... dont some fungi bioluminess? or however you spell it...AKA glow? so if you are in a damp room with BLing fungi, would that not be awesome, and long as the spores were ok, safe? dwarves would be ok with the fungi anyway...... the eat p. helmets dont they? and use other various shrooms and stuff....

And dont some small worms and slugs and other cavedwelling plants/creatures glow? like the aptly named GLOWWORMS?

so if your damp walls glow... or in some cases, even your heated walls, could that not hint at a slight infestation of some kind or another instead of something totally life threatening like pre-magma walls or radiation?

or maybe the dwarves have those little glow in the dark stickers and shapes(like stars and moons and rockets) that kids stick to their ceiling....

but not necesarilly does a awesome thing have to be negative....

and since im too lazy to look it up, can someone give me the cliff notes of blackbody rads? i have no clue what that is...

ive never heard of a dwarf getting sick......least not in DF.....
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:08:35 am »

How do I put this... blackbody radiation.. is residual heat from objects. It's how the sun can heat up the earth, even though there is a humongous vacuuum. It's the slowest method of gaining or losing heat, which is why stuff in thermos don't stay hot (or cold) forever.

Also, yes, there are bioluminescent creatures and fungi. Which would be awesome. It should be implemented that those fungi would grow on damp walls - but destroy engraved walls. or maybe, they'd grow in the grooves and cracks of the walls. That would look positively SAWEET!

Also - I'm thinking that he threw in the uranium for comedic effect. I replied for the same. It was uranium 238, right?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 07:19:12 am »

This should depend on ambient map temperature. Damp walls in a desert should be worth big bucks; on a glacier not so much. The reverse for magma.

It's possible for a wall to be both, yes? What happens then? :P

This might be a much better route, actually.
We need some kind of temperature menu to see what the heat looks like around the fort, methinks.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:34:10 am »

thanks for the explaination....
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:41:49 am »

How do I put this... blackbody radiation.. is residual heat from objects. It's how the sun can heat up the earth, even though there is a humongous vacuuum. It's the slowest method of gaining or losing heat, which is why stuff in thermos don't stay hot (or cold) forever.

Also, yes, there are bioluminescent creatures and fungi. Which would be awesome. It should be implemented that those fungi would grow on damp walls - but destroy engraved walls. or maybe, they'd grow in the grooves and cracks of the walls. That would look positively SAWEET!

Also - I'm thinking that he threw in the uranium for comedic effect. I replied for the same. It was uranium 238, right?

you mean infrared radiation? iirc blackbody radiation the amount of radiation an emitter would emit if it was a perfect emitter - a black body.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 11:58:41 am »

He means thermal radiation. Infrared radiation is only infrared. In this thread, we're talking about visible light.

Given that magma and water are increadibly dangerous and tend to destroy whole fortresses, I'd say any sane dwarf would avoid a room like this. The value should probably go up, given that "sane dwarf" is an oxymoron.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:40:08 pm »

Thermal radiation is electromagnetic radiation emitted from the surface of an object which is due to the object's temperature. An example of thermal radiation is the infrared radiation emitted by a common household radiator or electric heater. A person near a raging bonfire will feel the radiated heat of the fire, even if the surrounding air is very cold. Thermal radiation is generated when heat from the movement of charged particles within atoms is converted to electromagnetic radiation. Solar radiation heats the earth during the day, while at night the earth re-radiates some heat back into space.

If the object is a black body in thermodynamic equilibrium, the radiation is termed black-body radiation. The emitted wave frequency of the black body thermal radiation is described by a probability distribution depending only on temperature, and for a genuine black body in thermodynamic equilibrium is given by Planck’s law of radiation. Wien's law gives the most likely frequency of the emitted radiation, and the Stefan–Boltzmann law gives the radiant intensity.

In physics, a black body is an idealized object that absorbs all electromagnetic radiation that falls on it. No electromagnetic radiation passes through it and none is reflected. Because no light (visible electromagnetic radiation) is reflected or transmitted, the object appears black when it is cold. However, a black body emits a temperature-dependent spectrum of light. This thermal radiation from a black body is termed black-body radiation.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

If you're in a room where the walls are "glowing", you're going to have a very short lifespan.

An -oven- doesn't get that hot. You can test at your own house: are -the-walls- of the oven visibly glowing? No? Then they aren't as hot as the magma-encased-room we're envisioning.

The heating element itself gets that hot, and you can judge the temperature of a heating element strictly based on the color of the light you're perceiving. The lower end of "visibly glowing" is around 480 C. That's well past most oven's upper limit of 600 F (or so).

If you're in a room where the walls themselves are glowing you're baking. Regardless of whether you are actually touching the wall (Or, indeed whether there's a vacuum in the box too), you're being cooked by the sheer flux of energy pouring out of the walls as light and heat.

Adding conduction and convection to the unavoidable radiation, and you're just cooked that much faster.

I don't think "warm walls" are quite that hot, but there's just no way that a chamber with glowing walls would be safe for humans. Or beer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5