Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Government  (Read 2884 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Government
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 09:30:28 am »

I think you'll have the option to change some of this in later releases (not this next one).

I don't think it would really fit with the spirit of the game if it just had a menu pop up asking what kind of government we want.  I would prefer that the dwarves chose their own government to some extent.  It would be pretty cool if one of your military dwarves went off and killed a megabeast, and when he came back the current fort ruler was ousted and the hero put in his place.  Of course to make this really interesting, there will need to be things like corruption and scandals. 

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:17 am »

I dunno about it being a theocracy, since there is no single religion or even any religious leaders or church structure.

Although I'd say that it being a totalitarian communist monarchy is pretty spot-on.

you know, with the whole ordering people to do stuff but not actually being a visible entity?

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 12:41:25 pm »

Alright nuff with the lectures on government, they may share some similarities between real-world governments but not much, what I was trying to get at was there is absolutely no power structure, like many of you have said the nobles are just figure-heads, all dwarves follow a kind of theocracy, with you their deity.

The problem with that is, there is no structure, there are no priests, clerics, warrior-priests, nothing.  Everybody is responsible to you and to nobody else, if a mandate is issued, they don't create the item on account of the mandate, they do it because you told them to for fear he would get hammered into next week.

Kind of a hypothetical question, no need for lectures, kay?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:44 pm »

The government itself is pretty much an aristocracy.

However...
Dwarven society as a whole is basically a dysfunctional Borg-type... thing.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Angellus

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »

Either Alcoholy or Tauntrumy, the latter depending on the availability of the first.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »

The government itself is pretty much an aristocracy.

However...
Dwarven society as a whole is basically a dysfunctional Borg-type... thing.

hehe, -typethingy is the greatest suffix ever, it is so useful  ;D

Serriously though, I should have renamed the title to Dwaven Society, it would have lessened the confusion...sorry

Query:  If mind-altering drugs don't exist and alcohol keeps Dwarves sober than what turns them into psuedo-pirate partiers?  Jeez do dwarves have any vice at all?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:10:57 am »

Query:  If mind-altering drugs don't exist and alcohol keeps Dwarves sober than what turns them into psuedo-pirate partiers?  Jeez do dwarves have any vice at all?
Of course dwarves have vices.  They murder kittens, elvens and whatever else they can drop 9 z-levels.  They also love setting the world on fire with magma.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »

In order for something to be a vice it has to be frowned upon by their society, and, well......dwarves are pretty amoral beings.  Besides working 98% of your life is virtuous enough to make up for any kitten mishaps

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:37 pm »

working 98% of your life is virtuous enough to make up for any kitten mishaps

Urist McWork-Aholic: "Let's see, that rock mug should probably go... Geez, I'm thirsty all of a sudden! Now, where was... is that my +Pig tail sock+ over there? It is, better put it away! Okay, now I should probably... Wow, I haven't eaten in a while, first things first! Okay... Wow, is it noon already? Break time! Now, back to... say what? A party, at that table? I wanna go! Phew, now that rock mug... oh wait, my shift's over. 'Night, everyone!"
Urist McWork-Aholic has been satisfied at work lately.

Hardworking, my ass.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:23 pm »

Christ!  Just because they eat once a month and organize a party once a season you have got to get so upset?   ;D

Honnestly, although the breaks are long, they are sparce unless the dwarf has a personality flaw, my dwarves spend the vast majority of their time either in a workshop or hauling.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »

The principal dwarven vices seem to be throwing things, fistfighting, breaking stuff, and being friends with the guy I just accidentally squashed. 

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 02:17:17 pm »

Dwarves obey Armok, God of Blood, who is ... us!  While they do have an elected Mayor, nobles to appease, and various religious beliefs of their own, is is we who order their lives.  *diabolical laughter*
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:17 pm »

The principal dwarven vices seem to be throwing things, fistfighting, breaking stuff, and being friends with the guy I just accidentally squashed. 

However druggies in our culture get nowheres, fistfighting and breaking stuff can be very important skills that Dwarves likely put on their resumes :)

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 08:04:43 am »

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is still in production and already has a comicstrip/fansite?
Pages: 1 [2] 3