Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Different Government styles?  (Read 2752 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Different Government styles?
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »

Hmm, well I was just thinking how annoying the Adamantine Kings were... and then it got me thinking, what if we didn't have to have kings? I'm thinking that after your fortress meets certain requirements(possibly the same requirements to get a Baron now) we could revolt from the Mountainhome and set up our own government. It could either be another monarchy(just one under your control) a democratic republic(Mayor takes over the role of King), communist utopia(No nobles, ever!), whatever. Then at least the pesky nobles would be appointed/elected from your dwarves, and like the Dungeon Master, would do something useful in addition to their noble duties of making mandates.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Different Government styles?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »

Not sure it's really necessary. Monarchy is handled already, democracy wouldn't work beyond electing new mayors (more of a popularity contest, which is what modern "democracy" is) and communist utopia is the pre-economy DF anyway.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:43:52 pm »

Actually, Dwarf Fortress is stuck on a Groundhog Day like version of Bastille Day.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:59:09 pm »

DF is a Dictatorship. Whatever YOU say goes! If you want to change it, it wouldn't be a change to the nobles system. It would be a change to how the game fundamentally works.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:07 pm »

DF is a Dictatorship. Whatever YOU say goes! If you want to change it, it wouldn't be a change to the nobles system. It would be a change to how the game fundamentally works.
Meh, I suppose you're right. I preferred to think of myself as a guiding hand influencing the dwarves' actions then an actual person giving orders. I just thought it would be nice NOT to get a king after you strike Adamantine...

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:20:16 pm »

Hmm, well I was just thinking how annoying the Adamantine Kings were... and then it got me thinking, what if we didn't have to have kings? I'm thinking that after your fortress meets certain requirements (possibly the same requirements to get a Baron now) we could revolt from the Mountainhome and set up our own government. It could either be another monarchy (just one under your control) a democratic republic (Mayor takes over the role of King), communist utopia(No nobles, ever!), whatever. Then at least the pesky nobles would be appointed / elected from your dwarves, and like the Dungeon Master, would do something useful in addition to their noble duties of making mandates.
I quite like the idea indeed.

Looking at another game which completely revolved around starting a revolution like the old colonization, for those that have little knowledge of this game “rebel” sentiment was gained by”
1. By placing any immigrant (but Elder Statesmen were more efficient) in a City Hall type building. Building separate buildings like a Printing Press and a Newspaper would increase the amount of liberty bells produced by 50% and 100%.
2. By opposing a king’s tax increase and dumping a random trade good in the harbor water (also causing a ban on selling that random trade good).

My idea for how I would like this in DF would be:

For point 1 to allow for a new noble position to appear at the moment that the economy starts maybe even called “rebel”.
If you don’t assign this position you shall remain with your current mountainhome, the choice should however remain until the king has arrived.
If you however assign this position:
1. You will eventually move towards a rebellion against mountainhome starting at the moment you want to start.
2. Liaisons from the other Mountainhomes may arrive at random times to see if you are interested in “switching sides” and join their Mountainhome.
3. The dwarf assigned at the end of all the sieges will become the new “king”.

For point 2 I would probably count the stealing of the caravan’s cargo, insulting the traders to the point of leaving, killing the Liaison or simply killing the entire caravan and letting the Liaison live to tell the tale to mountainhome.

The choices I had in mind to stay a little in line with current DF governmental system

1. Peaceful – Stay with mountainhome and eventually become mountainhome when the king arrives. (No wars and sieges, just like the game is right now)
2. Switch Sides - Cause a revolution with aid from the other mountainhomes (if present) and become Mountainhome when one of those kings eventually arrives. (War and siege from your own mountainhome)
3. City state - Cause a revolution by yourself and let the dwarf who is at that time mayor become “king” for life and become your own mountainhome. (War and sieges from all mountainhomes)

As final comment in case of a rebellion I would choose for a never ending siege starting with multiple ambushes and more dwarfs arriving after the ambush troops have been discovered, maybe even the use of suddenly appeared siege engines, with freedom only attained after killing all the attackers (200+?? With high skill and top of the line equipment) or dying with a whole lot of FUN…

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »

Good ideas Rvlion! Also, this would work really well once the Army Arc is finished. You could use your fortress as a base of operations to conquer the world, not for the other dwarves, but for your fortress alone! You could possibly have wagons deliver goods(tribute?) from conquered areas...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:25 am »

Why not have a King that is elected every year?

Every year, all the settlements come together in the Mountain home and elect a new King who will run the Civilization until the next year. And said newly elected King can give out mandates out the whazoo (and provide useful stuff too like providing leadership), at least until the next elections.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:44:21 am »

Then there wouldn't be a king. A king is defined by hereditary rule, not election.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:39 am »

Then there wouldn't be a king. A king is defined by hereditary rule, not election.

Tell that to George Lucas.

In fact, tattoo that shit on his forheard

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:01:07 pm »

That's silly. The Holy Roman Emperor, the Polish King, even a couple of Caliphs, they were all elected. Note that this isn't an election by popular rule, just an election by the nobility.

In fact, take a look here.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:07 am »

In the Belgariad the Sendarian king was elected.
Just thought I would add my three cents worth.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 06:21:11 am »

THERE WILL BE NO DEMOCRACY!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 07:17:58 am »

Yeah, the Rashidun Caliphs were elected by popular choice (BY MENNNN! dur dur dur)

I'd like to think them as WHAT CALIPHATES should be, not like the Umayyad caliphate (I hate that family)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:16:36 pm »

if different social groups, or rather when different social groups are brought into the game it would be interesting to see them struggling for power. Whether that power is just favour with the ruler, or whether it is assasinating the ruler in a coup. If monarcy is the system they'd need to either have, or fabricate a blood connection to the throne.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: [1] 2 3