Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96190 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2009, 04:19:23 pm »

desalinating water is extremly easy though. just make sure the water does NOT touch any natural rock or soil

I did. Green glass block from end to end. I have another theory that I'm testing out now.

And for added fun, the elf human traders arrived and upon reaching the depot one of them burst into flames. The entire depot is now obscured by smoke. I have no idea why that happened.

And I guess he never unloaded his stuff (might have been a wagon, hard to tell) the dwarves are now hauling around the burning goods. There's a burning elk leather bin now on the bottom level of the fortress with a huge contrail leading back to the surface. Between the magma pumping, aquifer channeling, and now burning shit everywhere, my FPS are somewhere near 0.

Further update. The wooden depot caught on fire killing all the traders, animals, and wagons. My finished goods stockpile that was touching the depot is entirely on fire. All the narrow leather stuff is on fire. (The silk stuff is down below, thankfully.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:25:34 pm by Martin »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

I did. Green glass block from end to end. I have another theory that I'm testing out now.

And for added fun, the elf human traders arrived and upon reaching the depot one of them burst into flames. The entire depot is now obscured by smoke. I have no idea why that happened.

And I guess he never unloaded his stuff (might have been a wagon, hard to tell) the dwarves are now hauling around the burning goods. There's a burning elk leather bin now on the bottom level of the fortress with a huge contrail leading back to the surface. Between the magma pumping, aquifer channeling, and now burning shit everywhere, my FPS are somewhere near 0.

Further update. The wooden depot caught on fire killing all the traders, animals, and wagons. My finished goods stockpile that was touching the depot is entirely on fire. All the narrow leather stuff is on fire. (The silk stuff is down below, thankfully.

Sounds like you're having fun!
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2009, 04:02:20 pm »

Martin!?....

WTF?? :D

Grab th' reins, laddie! Dwarf up!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2009, 04:12:34 pm »

Ok, it's a known bug.

I have the following construction:

Code: [Select]
# #
^# #^
^# #^
^# #^
 # #

I've got a surface magmaduct with ramps up and over (and a floor on the top). Problem is when the wagons go over it the horses teleport through the floor into the magma, catch on fire, which spreads to everything else when they arrive at the depot. I think if I rebuild it with the ramps farther out so the wagon can fully fit on the Z+1 level, then I can avoid it.

It's a known problem, but I've never build this construction myself. Permission to roll back to the summer save before the humans arrived? I think I can fix the problem before the caravan arrives.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »

In this case, a bug is having its way with you, so the Rollback is no problem.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2009, 09:28:59 pm »

In this case, a bug is having its way with you, so the Rollback is no problem.

Thanks. I don't mind bugs that I should know about. If I have it happen again, it's my own damn fault.

Oh, and I've got >80 pop. I'll let you know if a dragon decides to show up in the middle of my fort (which would be kinda cool).

And that fire got completely out of hand. For whatever reason, all of the bin contents caught fire, but not the bins themselves until a bit later, so the dwarves hauled them all over the damn place. All of the leather, cloth and thread in the fortress was on fire. One dropped a bin in the ammo stockpile near the front door. Another dropped a bin into the barrel stockpile everyone walks through which set all the barrels on fire. Fortunately the booze wasn't on anyones path. I had no idea what was going on because the entire fortress was full of smoke. I didn't see any injured dwarves, which is a bit stunning considering they are usually oblivious to fire.

2nd aquifer pierce is a bit more than halfway done. Going faster now that I better understand how to break up the process (It's big. Really, really, really big).

Oh, and I got the fresh water finally working. My suspicion seems to be correct. I'm going to test it more later and write it up on the wiki.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:00:18 pm by Martin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2009, 11:24:54 pm »

Huzzah!

The dwarf wagons didn't catch on fire. I wasn't quite able to finish the ramp for the humans, so the wagons bypassed.

Working on project number 3 now. Lots of time. I suspect some of these projects are going to be massive...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2009, 04:19:12 am »

You remembered to tile the floor under your reser'oir too, right? I'e ne'er had a problem with desalination other than when I made only a 1-square so it was too easy to o'erflow and thus get contaminated from the o'erflow into the reser'oir.

or ha'ing a wa'e crash into the reser'oir.

edit: link when you write it up. Also, two-squad ambush, one squad from mapedge (presumably, at least) (crossbowgobs! Ack!) and the other inside my magmamoat, therefore impossibly from mapedge. Lost two dwarfs, three wounded.

Had some ninja migrants and then some normal. Not sure what the trigger is...I ha'en't raised my bridge, so it's not a nonexistance of path...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:23:51 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:44 am »

Sol!!!
Did You PLAN this map to include Ninja Spawns!!!???!?!?
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 06, 2009, 11:45:44 am »

Yeah, I specifically chose green glass so it would be extremely obvious if I had non-constructed material in there.

After my first failure I thought the up/down stair at the bottom of the cistern that revealed the z-level below (but didn't have an up stair dug) was contaminating. I fixed that. Still salty.

I then removed all of my glass staircases and channeled out the floor where they were, thinking that the non-visible floors that the stairs magically go through were the problem. Nope, still salty.

My suspicion is that even if the water passes through a designated aquifer biome z-level, even if the water touches no natural material, it turns salty. In other words, you have to leave the water at the z-level above the aquifer or higher - or you have to re-desalinate below the aquifers. I think it's a variant of the same (bug, feature?) that allows me to have a permanent, subterranean sand collection point.

When I'm done with the challenge I'm going to see if piercing the aquifer by collapsing gets around the problem. My theory is that the biome collapses with the land, so collapsing may eliminate the aquifer biome altogether for that area, and then it'd be safe to pump water down.

And I'm totally loving the ninja spawns. Can't wait for my first siege to arrive on the edge of the pipe.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 06, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »

I wish I could say that I had, but no. Still, it's a very happy accident!

I am pretty sure that it's a product of having an Exposed Magma Pipe in dead center, where it doesn't occupy an edge tile. Magma critters spawn there... I suspect that non-magma critters are spawning at the pipe, instead of inside the pipe.

Just a theory though.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 07, 2009, 01:15:25 am »

I almost always embark centered on exposed pipe. No ninjas before.

edit: Oh yeah, I'm STILL not on the players list. >_>
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:21:22 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 07, 2009, 06:35:37 am »

Huh this is odd...
I accidentally flooded the fort, Thus making it Unplayable cause nearly all were in the damn place and the only one not was killed by Harpies moments later, just as Spring Rolled around for the third year, so no roll back to year 2...

So here I am going through the same movements before, all going well, the Magma Critters didn't jump out of the Pipe at start hence turning my Cart into a Flameball (this was after a couple of restarts due to that, Epic Event, never had Booze explode before)...

So I am coming up the close to the end of spring and all is neat and tidy, Woodcutter cutting wood like he spos to be doing, and I am looking around inside my camp. Rising a level I suddenly notice that the ground is a lot blacker then I left it...

Theres an Imp dieing up there, don't know how, and there is a fire spreading over the area, two dwarfs are outside, I draft them for some easier fleeing from spreading flames, I accidentally unpause and cause they have no stations they run to the meeting hall, THROUGH THE FIRE!!!

So I panic, I don't want to start again due to someone thinking its a good idea to get a drink while on fire so I see who it is...

No one...

Not one of the two dwarfs that were outside and running through the fire got hurt or did their clothes catch fire. No animal was outside, all sitting in the meeting hall...

SO TWO FUCKING QUESTION!!!

Who attacked the Imp and When the fuck did that happen...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:45 pm »

Well, I just reached halfway.

119 dwarves + aquifer + multiple magma pumping efforts = FPS hell.

I just had my second siege - two squads, one on the perimeter of the map, led by an elite bowgoblin (who thankfully died on the outer trap line) and one at the magma pipe led by an elite melee unit - mace or some shit. Only two dwarves died - both to the elite guy. One farmer who was bringing up some remains to the refuse pile who was about 4 tiles from the siege when it hit, and a new recruit who decided to go mano-a-mano with the elite guy who'd already been blasted up with bolts, but managed to smack the recruit halfway across the map. With a mess of brown wounds, the elite gobbo took off, walked through both the inner and outer trap lines without a scratch. The military managed to kill all the rest of the squad that landed in the center of the map.

In response to the realization that I could get sieged where my fortress was planned, I did a massive redesign of the fortress. It'll still work, but at least it'll be defensible now, though it's a big ugly and bodged. It was only about half done when the siege hit, and now should allow me to minimize injuries better.

Megaproject plan A is in the crapper - it won't work. On to plan B, which should work. Plan C is magma, which always works. Hopefully by the end of year 6. I don't want a half-done fortress like last time. Food is surprisingly sketchy. I'm barely keeping the farms ahead of demand, and every time I expand, more migrants arrive. The map is definitely a challenge.

I have a rule question - is it kosher to turn off the economy?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 07, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »

Who attacked the Imp and When the fuck did that happen...

1) I'd bet on one of your dogs, but it's theoretically possible for a cornered kitten to kill a dragon, so who knows?

2) The moment you looked away.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 52