Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96227 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2009, 02:20:02 pm »

Its not Passing the Aquifer via the Cast around the pipe, you need a constructive way to pass the Aquifer, use of Magma to Cast an area of Aquifer twice, whatever method you can use...

Okay, you're right, I take it back - I was tired, and was only thinking of whether it would look kosher when submitted for judging.

The danger is that if you forget and later dig stairs in the cast - and it would be hard to tell the diff later, where your obsidian starts and where the original stops - you've screwed yourself.

If you can keep it so it looks kosher from any angle, yes, this would qualify.

Sorry for my earlier confusion. (fixed)

I'm still trying to figure out how this is even possible. If you need to get to z-5 to pass the aquifer, I think you need to pump out the top 4 layers of the pipe, which requires that you already be through the aquifer. I'd like to see someone do it, personally.

That said, ammunition is turning out to be a major challenge this pass now that my patrols are running. So many things to shoot at!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:01 pm »

I think(?) you could do it with pumps, just keeping the center of a caisson from overflowing, and then splashing that with more water for the next level down.

5 levels... 3, 5, 7, 9... 11 tiles square, plus room for the pumps. But... I think it's doable.  More dangerous than dancing with a fireman, but doable.  8)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »

I think(?) you could do it with pumps, just keeping the center of a caisson from overflowing, and then splashing that with more water for the next level down.

5 levels... 3, 5, 7, 9... 11 tiles square, plus room for the pumps. But... I think it's doable.

Wouldn't it sink? But even if it didn't, you'd have to plan it so that a layer coincided with a narrowing of the pipe since each obsidian layer would be narrower than the one above and therefore surrounded by magma.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2009, 02:38:11 pm »

Anyway, first gobbos, all dispatched with dogs marksdwarves and some drafted woodcutters. Little bastards spawned inside my outer defense line, so I need to double up on things. Not sure why they are doing that on a square map - I thought the 'rectangular map' rule was well established. I guess not.
I just had this happen, except with migrants.  Kind of strange to see them materializing out of thin air like that...

First time I've ever seen this on a square map (the map is square, right?); I have observed it on rectangular ones.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

Anyway, first gobbos, all dispatched with dogs marksdwarves and some drafted woodcutters. Little bastards spawned inside my outer defense line, so I need to double up on things. Not sure why they are doing that on a square map - I thought the 'rectangular map' rule was well established. I guess not.
I just had this happen, except with migrants.  Kind of strange to see them materializing out of thin air like that...

First time I've ever seen this on a square map (the map is square, right?); I have observed it on rectangular ones.

It is square. And in the previous attempt I had a caravan show up on the west side inside the outer defenses, migrants, and gobbos. All on the west side though. Very odd. Hasn't happened on this attempt yet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 03, 2009, 02:59:44 pm »

For me it was due east of the magma pipe...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 03, 2009, 03:03:01 pm »

A While back I mentioned Ninja Immigrants, happens every now and then on me, don't know why, first time it happened three Beakdogs appeared with them, and I mean at the same time and attacked and killed them all then proceeded to attack my starting 7...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:56 pm »

Now this is a challenge I like! Time to strike the dirt!

Okay, maybe this won't be as easy as I thought... But if at first you don't succeed, try, try again
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:42:53 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 03, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »

Remeber that first legendary metalcrafter?

Apparently someone else thought it was a good plan, because my second fey is ALSO a metalcrafter.

I think I will have to come up with a megaproject that involves metalcrafting.

good luck.

I hear Ignious layers don't have much metals.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »

I hear Ignious layers don't have much metals.

I prefer mining goblins for iron, personally.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »

Theoretically you could time a cave-in to seal off a magma channel once you'd made an obsidian cast for your stairs.

In practice, that's messy and difficult to do, if you mess it up the magma won't have space to evaporate and you have to expand the cast area to dry it. This will be very difficult to do without bauxite.

As a side note, the hardest part of this challenge for me is the harpies. For some reason, my miners haven't been very good fighters lately, they tend to get ripped apart pretty fast. Guess I'll have to designate full time military, which will be messy without armor to train melee and bone to train ranged. Could be worse I guess, no skarps.

Edit: To get a clarification, if I were to dig a magma access chamber on an aquifer level to have safe access to magma without letting the fire man into my fort, that would be allowed correct? So long as I pierced the aquifers on different levels?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:40:37 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »

for those who plan on using windmills:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 03, 2009, 11:37:07 pm »

Theoretically you could time a cave-in to seal off a magma channel once you'd made an obsidian cast for your stairs.

In practice, that's messy and difficult to do, if you mess it up the magma won't have space to evaporate and you have to expand the cast area to dry it. This will be very difficult to do without bauxite.

As a side note, the hardest part of this challenge for me is the harpies. For some reason, my miners haven't been very good fighters lately, they tend to get ripped apart pretty fast. Guess I'll have to designate full time military, which will be messy without armor to train melee and bone to train ranged. Could be worse I guess, no skarps.

It's odd. In the first year I had a bunch of harpies, but I'm rolling into the end of year 2 again and the 2nd year had none. But I think there must be a rule on this map that there must always be a grimeling. There was 12 dead ones on the map at one time. As soon as my soldiers would kill one, another would show up.

Just got my 3rd ambush. The first tried to shoot at my miners but missed and got chased off by my roaming patrols. The 2nd was stupid lucky - one of the dwarves cleaning up the narrow bits from the first ran right into them, but I had a champion marksdwarf passing by right at that moment, machinegunned half of them down instantly and nothing worse than a brown wound. The 3rd ran through the outer trap gauntlet and apparently got wiped out.

Only 2 dead so far this time. Hunter/beak dogs again, and a failed mood due to, again, lack of raw gems.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:33 am »

I hadn't seen any grimelings. I found I was ha'ing problems with the magma embark so I decided to go and practice on some other magma pipes with a more familiar embark setup...and I honestly ha'e ne'er seen fire imps go running all o'er the map without anyone to chase before now, but it seems anywhere I go to a pipe they surface and run around quite soon rather than being lumps many le'els down in the pipe until they spot a dwarf. Odd...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 04, 2009, 12:13:43 am »

Edit: To get a clarification, if I were to dig a magma access chamber on an aquifer level to have safe access to magma without letting the fire man into my fort, that would be allowed correct? So long as I pierced the aquifers on different levels?

That's perfectly fine.

Also, added the rule allowing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag to be added to Beak Dogs to the first post. Discussion and justification is put up there for those concerned.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52