Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A rather cruel punishment.  (Read 1092 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
A rather cruel punishment.
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:16:40 am »

SO I settled in a completely frozen area, solid ice on the surface but a nice valcano to keep us warm. Its also a Haunted/ terrifing zone. Obviously such a place isn't exactly hospitable, so my fortress has become more of a prison/ death camp. I have problems with the occational tantrumer, but my seriff usually just strolls over and shatters their legs.  Now they usually heal up, but if not I really have no use for dead weight. They use up resources I don't have and contribute nothing. So I was wondering, would it be possible to restrain a dwarf outside? I'm thinking of just chaining the worthless things up outside and letting the skeletal beasts take care of them.  Even if I can't chain them up I can just kick them out and lock the door, let them freeze or starve or get eatten.

It's just cooler if I can chain them though.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: A rather cruel punishment.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:27:54 am »

You can't chain your dwarves, but I figure if you build a small hut(just something with a roof on top) in the middle of nowhere, have no doors, and place a few beds there, you could then remove the beds with the wounded and they'd be placed on the above-ground deathcamp instead.

After that's done, just forbid your dwarves from going above ground. No one can give them water or food then, if they manage not to attract the local wildlife.

Another possibility if you need to go aboveground, would be to place doors there, and after wounded have been moved, forbid the doors from use. Again, no one can supply the deadweights with things they don't deserve.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:36:29 am »

You can't chain your dwarves, but I figure if you build a small hut(just something with a roof on top) in the middle of nowhere, have no doors, and place a few beds there, you could then remove the beds with the wounded and they'd be placed on the above-ground deathcamp instead.

After that's done, just forbid your dwarves from going above ground. No one can give them water or food then, if they manage not to attract the local wildlife.

Another possibility if you need to go aboveground, would be to place doors there, and after wounded have been moved, forbid the doors from use. Again, no one can supply the deadweights with things they don't deserve.

Darn. Maybe I should just move the whole prison up above ground. If they're worth their stone then they can fend off a few skeletal goats. If they're too wounded to do so then I guess it's just how it goes. Also, I've never tried, but can you chain up captured enemies? Or will it just do the whole "AHHHH AN PASSED OUT GOBLIN IN A CAGE! job interrupted" thing?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:44 am »

Couldn't you build the prison topside, with no walls, just chains?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:40:17 am »

The problem is getting them there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:36 am »

The problem is getting them there.
If they can't even walk then I'll just let them starve to death on the damn ground. Health care is turned off except for a single dwarf, so it's possible to just wait for  death then drag them out side to rot.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:51:51 am »

I'm pretty sure you can't chain enemies.

I haven't of course tried myself, but I've had a 50/50 chance for my minions dragging captured enemies over to the suicide pit and tossing them in. At times they do just that, and no one freaks out, then at times, the moment the enemy is taken from the cage they flip out, run away in panic and some guy with a crossbow shoots the evil horrible monster full of bolts.

Should try about chaining them. Although it'd have to be far enough from the fort so they wouldn't freak out people who notice them a mile away and run away in panic. Sort of like rhesus macaques.

Hellcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:15 am »

Couldn't you build a cave-in device above where they're resting to knock them into a cage trap, and then put an animal stockpile on the topside?

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 07:15:17 am »

If they're criminals build a jail with ONLY cages, then when one of them goes in that cage, deconstruct it, and now you have a dwarf cage. ;D

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:59:58 am »

If they're criminals build a jail with ONLY cages, then when one of them goes in that cage, deconstruct it, and now you have a dwarf cage. ;D
Can dwarves starve to death in cages?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:47 am »

Yes.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:00 am »

Drawbridge walls on an above-ground jail, and a forbidden hatch in the floor. Simple!

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »

I've had a 50/50 chance for my minions dragging captured enemies over to the suicide pit and tossing them in. At times they do just that, and no one freaks out, then at times, the moment the enemy is taken from the cage they flip out, run away in panic and some guy with a crossbow shoots the evil horrible monster full of bolts.

I believe you need to station some soldiers next to the cage which prevents the caged creature from getting any dumb ideas when the door is opened.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »

I tried that once, with the cage right next to the suicide pit(which saw use soon when someone on fire ran to the food stockpile, but that is a story for some other time).

What happened was the usual "going to pit this large animal anOH GOD A DARK ELF SAVE US" freakout. This was followed immediately by the ranged military guy shooting the elf full of holes.

Another time they dragged a chosen warrior all the way from the underground storage department to the pit and tossed him in. No incidents there.

I wonder if there's a headlock roll every time you try to horribly deal with some captured enemy.

"Oh no you rolled a 1, the Chosen Warrior slips through your attempted headlock and wrecks havoc!"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 01:26:20 pm »

I've certainly had a variety of outcomes to pitting things, myself. Some goblins pit just fine, some shoot the king's advisor in the head and run for it, but thieves ALWAYS escape.
Right into the barracks.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.