Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: will goblins drown?  (Read 3378 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
will goblins drown?
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:21:49 am »

I was attacked by goblins recently. I killed all of them except for 3 guys who fell into a murky pool and can't get out. They can't attack my dwarves from there,but they can frighten them. My fisher dwarves have to walk near the pool to get back to the fortress to store their fish,but now,whenever they get too close to the goblin pit they get frightened and drop everything they're carrying. If I wait long enough,will the goblins drown or starve to death? The water level in the pool right now is 6/7 and it doesn't say they're drowning. Should I find another way to get rid of them?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: will goblins drown?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:25:42 am »

I think you need to have 7/7 water with a roof to make them drown, they won't starve, i'd just build some crossbows and train some new soldiers
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:16:50 am »

Or just rush into the pit with your champions and give them swimming lessons in the process.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:31:00 am »

I think you need to have 7/7 water with a roof to make them drown...

No need for the roof, just the 7/7 water.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:10:06 am »

Just 7/7 water works for anything without swimming skill, but you might want more then that, or a roof to keep them underwater if they have gained some skill.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 05:27:45 am »

Do goblins gain swimming skill as they drown?

Hmm.

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:59:06 am »

If you can't think of another solution, build some walls around that pool.  Or station your marksdwarves there for a bit, like kalida suggested.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:31 am »

Because they're in 6/7 they've probably already learnt to swim. Just magma the lot of them.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:38 am »

Magma would mean a loss of perfectly good +Goblin Bone Bolts+ and whatever iron they have on them.  The obvious solution is a marksdwarf.  Just have a miner on standby to dig a ramp if he jumps in to hammer the goblins to death after he runs out of ammo.  Otherwise after your marksdwarf gets some needed practice, dig our the pool and collect your iron and corpses to make +Goblin Bone Bolts+
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:12 am »

To solve your most immediate problem, setting traffic zones (assuming you have an proposed alternate route that avoids them, or can make one) should get your travelling fisherdwarfs detouring away from the "scary place" and bring them in without needing to drop anything.  Then you can set about dealing with the pool-bound enemies in whatever way you see fit, but at least with fish-filled stomachs. :)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:37 pm »

just set it as a zone so they fill it up with water.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 02:18:09 pm »

This is definitely a case for your military to handle. Recruit some dwarves, tell them to use crossbows, and station them by the pool. When the deed is done you can pump out the pool and dig ramps to get to their goodies.

In 7/7 water goblins will definitely drown though. It's fun, though not as fun as stripping them of their weapons and armor and attacking them with bears.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 03:16:03 pm »

Even funner than that, however, is to put a whole siege worth of them in one room and have all your recruits fire bolts at them. Clean up the items but leave the bodies and send in the next batch while the miasma is in the air.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »

How do you take away thier items?
Everyone always says 'z' then Stocks, but theres nothing ever there to take away items.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »

As already said, Goblins will drown in 7/7 water, but only with a roof above their heads. I had the same problem with orcs, I locked them in in my floodable outdoor-depot and their mounts (wolfspiders...) drowned but they just kept splashing happily inside their new pool  ::)

So yes. Recruit some marksdwarves and pincushion them.
Pages: [1] 2 3