Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 17378 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Fortress
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2009, 02:01:51 am »

His Alzheimers has definitely impacted his writing, it goes to show just how good a writer he was (and is) in that the books he's writing while suffering from Alzheimers are still better than 99% of the stuff out there.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 02:03:25 am »

I haven't noticed, but now you've pointed it out, I probably will now. It's a huge shame.

There's far too much of 'huge shames' in this world. Still, I've got my coffee and my Night Watch, I'm happy.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:43 am »

Pratchett's work is still awesome, but when i was reading Nation i noticed that he was doing his usual 'set up thousands of chekovs guns that you don't notice and come out of nowhere at exactly the right moment for maximum hilarity', but it looks like he was forgetting about some of them and they never showed up again.

Which is a pity, but still entirely worth reading.

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disk Fortress
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 06:54:05 am »

"Wizzards" and "Wizards" could be rare castes of Humanity.

Hm... we may have to make an "Ank-Morpork" race that doesn't reproduce but has babysnatcher, and thus steals a wide variety of babies early on, giving rise to mixed cities. However, I suspect that that we will be able to simply create "mixed" empires from the start.

Now, it's complex enough just to make the parts of the world, but there's also making the world map. Luckilly we have the Mapp, but getting Ank-Morpork civ cities on the circle sea would be next to impossible. Any ideas?
the race of veternaris
they take over cis like goblins

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 07:38:43 am »

race of vetinari's? That's... uh... win? except there wouldn't be any soldiers or anything. IT'd be nobles.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 07:48:54 am »

race of vetinari's? That's... uh... win? except there wouldn't be any soldiers or anything. IT'd be nobles.
Yes, but you wouldn't be angry when they demand things. You wouldn't actually know they are demanding things. You just do your own thing and then at the end of it you'll realize you've done everything they wanted without noticing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:31 am »

Maybe Ankh-Morpork would be better done as a mod all of its own, with different guilds as individual races...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:50 am »

I haven't noticed, but now you've pointed it out, I probably will now. It's a huge shame.

There's far too much of 'huge shames' in this world. Still, I've got my coffee and my Night Watch, I'm happy.

Firstly, Night watch is probably one of my favorite books of his.

And don't be disheartened. Firstly, I noticed a great failsafe that he made himself in Thief of time. He made sure that even if he forgot the timeline, it wouldn't matter, because times been stitched up like an igors patient. An example of this is where in Mort, The Emperor wasn't even a teenager, and a few novels later (Interesting times) he was inside deaths door and commenting on the Hatstand.

His work nowadays is more dark, but its still excellent. Night watch was a very dark novel as compared to Guards! Guards!, as this was more real, but also less satirical. He didn't make fun of as many things. Things were serious. There wasn't anything about odd laws due to the alternative nature to their universe, just things that are all too true in places.

But still. He's going strong, and will be for a long time yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2009, 12:00:12 pm »

He's not a zombie yet. He's still completely sane, and let's not forget that in his own words he's "had to change banks several times due to filling them up." In addition to the donations to chimpanzee conservation, he is pouring quite a bit of his personal finance into Alzheimers research.

Anyway, I'm still not sure how civs would end up working, but here's a thought; what if we make the "underground features" from the new version and toned them up so that wherever you are, if you dig deep enough, you fall out the other side of the disk. Though presumably the Disk is pretty thick even in relatively shallow parts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2009, 02:23:21 pm »

You wouldn't fall out in some places though; you'd hit either an elephant or Atuin's shell!

Reminds me of a quote from one of the books, "Any more of this and we're going to give an elephant a bloody nasty shock!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2009, 01:38:54 am »

I hate my hands and fingers, with the clicky before realisingy why spoilered-y.

Do people just ignore spoilers and click on them automatically?

And terry pratchett is still god. Thud was great!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:47 am »

Although you couldn't have Dwarven-style nobles in Ankh-Morpork, because there's no way in hell Vimes would ever enforce mandates.

On the other hand...

Patrician      Vetinari, Patrician   [REQUIRE][DEMAND][MANDATE][HAPPENED TO IDLY MENTION IN PASSING]

(Are you going to wait for that to turn red? :)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2009, 04:47:32 am »

In addition to the donations to chimpanzee conservation[...]
That's the Orangutang Foundation, I think you mean.  F.Y.I.

Still, you could have used the M-word.  Then you might have been in trouble from somebody... :)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2009, 05:24:41 am »

Although you couldn't have Dwarven-style nobles in Ankh-Morpork, because there's no way in hell Vimes would ever enforce mandates.

Patrician      Vetinari, Patrician   [REQUIRE][DEMAND][MANDATE][HAPPENED TO IDLY MENTION IN PASSING]

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST GET THE MAN WHAT HE WANTS NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15