Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 17349 times)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Fortress
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 02:44:00 pm »

Swamp Dragons would be a bad thing to bring with you into the fortress. They'd just explode after a random amount of time.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »

Considering the mentality of dwarves, this wouldn't present any real problems.

One thing off topic: My current fortress hasn't been attacked by goblins. Once. At all. Its been going for about 3 or 4 years now. I'm getting paranoid.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2009, 05:02:08 pm »

Quick! Nobody mime!
Hang on, I've got some mimes . . . I think.  The clowns keep killing them off.

"Learn The Words"
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »

Civilization-modding related thoughts:

As mentioned, we could probably use a baby-snatching "Morporkian" race. Make them long-lived, but not immortal, and incapable of reproduction, so they'll establish a multicultural city and then die out. They should probably be fairly combat effective in order to defend it. I'm not sure whether to make the civilization aggressive - if it is, it might produce large Morporkian Empires that then fall when the Morporkians die out and the weaker babysnatched races have to defend them, but I wouldn't count on that.

The Morporkian civ probably shouldn't have civ leaders - Ankh-Morpork and its neighbors are city-states, after all. Site leaders should probably be limited to [MAYOR], although we can add more detailed positions like Patrician, Watch Captain, and guild presidents when the next version comes out.

Other potential civs:
- Dwarfs, of course. Be sure to take out all feminine clothing from their entity file and, in the next version, give females beards. Dwarfs shouldn't really require too many changes from DF.
- Trolls. For now, I could imagine something that lives in caves with military leaders like kobolds, but that are aggressive ambushers and siegers like goblins. Admittedly, that'd be difficult to pull off in the current version. I'm not sure there's a way to make them at war with the dwarfs and only the dwarfs. Possibly just make their ethics completely different?
- Uberwald. Make them humans that prefer forests, with standard nobles and no access to silver. Give them [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER], a preference for Dark and its associated spheres, and then make intelligent werewolves and vampires with those spheres and make them powers.
- Lancre: Another human civ. Fairly basic. Like mountains, standard nobles, kings and so on. Not very aggressive. Fairly boring, really, like Lancre should be.
- Klatch: See Lancre, but replace "mountains" with "deserts and coasts," and "not very" with "moderately."
- Omnia: I'd recommend going with the pre-Small Gods version, for no other reason than that it's more interesting. Human, no religion tags (so that nobody worships anything but the Great God Om) and military site leaders and civ leaders for now. EVERYTHING is unthinkable, except torture. Prefers deserts. In the next version, you can implement positions like the Cenobiarch and some sort of local religious leaders, probably deacons.

I don't really have anything in mind for Agatea and Fourecks at the moment, or for more esoteric places like Howondaland.

In the next version, we could also probably use the caste system to implement witches and wizards. There's no way to guarantee that every wizard will be the eighth son of an eighth son, but for the most part making witches and wizards rare human castes that are, basically, women and men with some additional powers each shouldn't be too difficult.

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2009, 02:24:09 am »

Dwarves need to be able to bake (forge?) battlebreads.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or whatever. Was lurking and thought it should be mentioned.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:24 am »

That could simply be a new dwarf-only weapon type because "tech-ni-ca-lly" They are forged.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2009, 03:45:12 am »

Can dwarves eat dwarven bread?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2009, 04:09:07 am »

Well, There's theories.

1. They get their sustenence from staring at it.
2. They soak it in water for a long, long time.

(Not sure which one of these is truer, but I think I've seen them both in his books)
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2009, 04:13:50 am »

No no no, Dwarf Bread is a very elaborate thing; what you do is when you get hungry you take it out and look at it and all of a sudden you come up with dozens of things you'd rather eat than the Dwarf Bread. The mere thought of eating Dwarf Bread galvanises you into action to find something else to eat.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2009, 05:26:34 am »

And if possible, an animal that regardless of any hostile enemies (who are all hostile), obstacles, traps or otherwise, runs across the map, screaming 'oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm gonna die'?

Soooo... basically, Rincewind?  ;D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2009, 05:30:37 am »

And occasionally ends battles between high-level wizards by hitting one of them over the head with a half-brick in a sock.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:05 am »

Do not underestimate the power of "eaving arf a brick". To put such a brick inside a sock only doubles its power.

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:12 am »

Yes, but it's only "arf" a brick. and Twice arf is the same as the original brick. Why bother with the sock?  ???

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:21 am »

Sock provides swinging motion, like a morningstar, therefore providing leverage and increasing the power of the halfbrick. In fact, half a brick in a sock can do more damage than 2 bricks thrown.

Dwarf Cake is edible, at least that is known.
Then again, Captain Carrot isn't exactly of normal muscular build, so no wonder he "macerates" through the cake like a "rock crusher".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2009, 11:07:26 am »

The Morporkian civ probably shouldn't have civ leaders - Ankh-Morpork and its neighbors are city-states, after all. Site leaders should probably be limited to [MAYOR]
c.f/ the Duke and Duchess of Sto Helit?  The title gifted by Queen Kheli (or Kelirehenna) of Sto Lat.

Ankh-Morpork, despite being semi-republican in itself (the exact situation is debatable, and relative to which part of Roundworld one happens to live, I suppose, and thus what a Republic means to oneself) does not seem to really care what governmental/monarchial system the other nations on its side of the Circle Sea work on.  (I was going to say "don't interfere, don't rule over them", but then the A-M national anthem is "We can Rule You Wholesale".  Even before the current Patrician was around.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15