Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banning  (Read 2440 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Banning
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:54:45 pm »

No, this isn't a topic about that, seriously. I'm just interested, actually. I'd quite like to know how banning works. Yes, I'm that dumb. But I was think, couldn't a ban just be dodged by creating another account on another email? And I've heard that banning IP prevents that, but how does that work?

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:05:10 pm »

I think the IP is what your computer uses to connect to the internet from either your house or computer.  So if you ban it, it won't allow anything from said house or computer.  Note, I really don't know if I am right by guesstimating what I just wrote above.  But even then, there are still ways to get around such a thing as an IP ban.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:07:14 pm »

If this topic is out of anything other than curiosity, pm me on the new VN.

Edit: wait, I should have said that in a PM, oups?
((semi-joke post. ))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:07:52 pm »

A laptop or whatever that thing is in the Mah case thread would dodge bans

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:08:23 pm »

If this topic is out of anything other than curiosity, pm me on the new VN.

Mere curiosity.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure nothing prevents you from making a new account, but then, I don't want to have to find out.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »

Too true.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:47:28 pm »

I was wondering that myself.  Does banning an IP mean you just can't make an account, or can that IP not even view the forum at all?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:25 pm »

I was wondering that myself.  Does banning an IP mean you just can't make an account, or can that IP not even view the forum at all?

If I am right, then.

I'd say Can't view. the latter.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:48 pm »

Heh, I've moderated quite a lot of stuff in the past few years.. what I've learned is that banning an account is the most annoying type. They have to come back with a different account... one that nobody knows, so there's not much point to causing trouble, when nobody knows that it's you. It's the most effective type, because banning an account requires only one click. Creating an account is a lot more annoying, especially on forums with captchas.

Banning IPs is like killing a zombie. They'll keep coming back and you just keep shooting them when they do. Forums like these go a bit further and ban an email address. If you want to create a fake account to get revenge.. you have to create a fake email, create a fake account, and just as soon as you start trouble, people will start reporting you.. then BLAM! Like real zombies, there's only so many times they'd get back up again.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:08 am »

well there are lots of ways to bann someone, including rather clever ones.

There are forums that correlate login times and post counts to a specific user, so that you can suspect that it is the same person. Many people also use the same password for their alt account.
more advanced stuff can even detect certain writing styles, but that is going a bit far for normal forum moderation :P
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:18:46 am »

The Hard Drive Taint Banhammer may or may not be used on this forum.  If it's a temp ban, it should be enough to just disable the account.  If the user comes back with a new account, you may need to IP ban them.  If they use proxies and come back, then you usually delete accounts and ban emails.  Deleting account and any posts they may - 2 minutes.  Creating new email, new account and logging in via proxy - 10 minutes.  They get bored before you do.

[This is to some extent second hand, as I'm only a Mod on another forum, and Mods don't get banhammers.]

If they continue to spam and flame massively, there is the Hard Drive Banhammer of death, but it's used pretty rarely.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

Heh, I've moderated quite a lot of stuff in the past few years.. what I've learned is that banning an account is the most annoying type. They have to come back with a different account... one that nobody knows, so there's not much point to causing trouble, when nobody knows that it's you. It's the most effective type, because banning an account requires only one click. Creating an account is a lot more annoying, especially on forums with captchas.

There's one forum I go to where everybody that gets banned regularly has like four or five regular accounts that everyone knows who they are, and whenever they get banned they just use a different account until the ban's up. The mods don't even care.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:46:58 am »

If they continue to spam and flame massively, there is the Hard Drive Banhammer of death, but it's used pretty rarely.
dont think there's such animal.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:01:41 am »

A quick search on google leads me to believe it does exist and uses the serial number of your HD, but it's based upong fragmentaric evidence. Wouldn't be surprised if they could do it though, since it's impossible to change the serial number of a piece of hardware without outright replacing it or toroughly messing with your BIOS. And that's a bit much to avoid a ban.
Pages: [1] 2