Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Evolution makes no provision for creation. Or can't we get along?  (Read 3938 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution makes no provision for creation. Or can't we get along?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:55:39 pm »

Why don't we make fun of Christians like we used to.
For the same reason it's generally regarded in bad taste to call someone a "nigger".
Bigotry ain't right.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:01:11 pm »

Strife, why the hell did you bring this up again? =/

Please tell me this was supposed to be a joke. If that was serious, the short answer: because discrimination is wrong, no matter who it's against.

[EDIT:] Ninja'd by Chutney.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »

Internet Whiteknighting is a rewardless job. JSTYK
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »

I can never tell if you are trolling or not. If you're not, I suggest you look up Internet White Knighting and figure out what it actually refers to.

Also, this.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »

Are you trying to say I'm trying to get Christians to have sex with me by defending them on an internet message board?
I think you're defending bigotry, nonetheless.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 06:07:05 pm »

Please tell me this was supposed to be a joke. If that was serious, the short answer: because discrimination is wrong, no matter who it's against.

[EDIT:] Ninja'd by Chutney.

It was a joke.

Though you wont stop me from making fun of christians.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:22:12 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

Nobody takes Genesis literally (not even Orthodox Jews, afaik) except for fundamentalist Christians in America.
So even they realise it's incompatible with reality.  There are some people who take it literally, but most are pants on heads morons.  I doubt any of them are on this forum, although I have had previous unpleasant encounters with them (one of whom accused me of simultaneously being a witch, gay, an abortionist and a liberal conspiratorialist.  Oh well, all in a days work).

Anyway, making fun of Christians is obviously wrong, and a form of bigotry.  Challenging Christian beliefs isn't the same thing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »

I humbly apologize if my behavior has been seen as condoning the mockery of Our Brothers In Christ. I agree that this is a serious issue
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »

Nobody takes Genesis literally (not even Orthodox Jews, afaik) except for fundamentalist Christians in America.
So even they realise it's incompatible with reality. 

They realize a literal interpretation of it is incompatible with reality, presumably.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »

For the same reason it's generally regarded in bad taste to call someone a "nigger".
Bigotry ain't right.

You can call someone stupid for what they believe in, and it isn't discrimination.

Let's say there is a guy that believes in a religion that has a rule where he has to set himself on fire every Wednesday. I think it would make sense to call that guy, and everyone else in that religion, a total fucking dumbass. Now, if I think that Christianity is stupid (and I do), then it is not discrimination to call every single Christian a dumbass, because they believe in it. Discrimination is when you judge people by something they did not choose, like gender or race.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 10:28:06 pm »

Broose, I'm offended. Just because I'm a Combustifarian doesn't mean I'm stupid! Oh shit - its Wednesday today, isn't it?

Really, though, do we have to start another flame war about this? Didn't we have one less than a week ago? This kind of unwarranted elitist bullshit makes us atheists look no better than the evangelical fundies, you know.

(Well, OK. We look slightly better. But it's still uncalled for.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:30:11 pm by kinseti »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 10:31:31 pm »

Bigotry ain't right.

You can call someone stupid for what they believe in, and it isn't discrimination.

Let's say there is a guy that believes in a religion that has a rule where he has to set himself on fire every Wednesday. I think it would make sense to call that guy, and everyone else in that religion, a total fucking dumbass. Now, if I think that Christianity is stupid (and I do), then it is not discrimination to call every single Christian a dumbass, because they believe in it. Discrimination is when you judge people by something they did not choose, like gender or race.

Not to mention you can't whine about discrimination till your a minority.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:33:22 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:34 pm »

Now, if I think that Christianity is stupid (and I do), then it is not discrimination to call every single Christian a dumbass, because they believe in it. Discrimination is when you judge people by something they did not choose, like gender or race.

If you think that anyone who has some view you find stupid is a "dumbass", then you pretty much have to call everyone one who isn't you.

Unless you exclusively hang out with people whose worldviews and opinions are only the ones you personally find acceptable.

Seriously, you're being an internet philosophical tough guy here. There are a lot of reasons people become (or are, or stay) religious, and even if a religion doesn't hold up to scrutiny, someone who believes in it (which, again, could be for a multitude of reasons) can still otherwise be an extremely intelligent person.

Singling out one particular belief or quality about people and then making rash judgements about their entire character DOES make you bigoted.

And this is coming from an atheist who isn't too friendly with the concept of mainstream Western religion. One who's known a lot of Christians (some of whom still are and some of whom aren't), many of whom were/are good and intelligent people despite holding beliefs I feel are ill-reasoned.

Not to mention you can't whine about discrimination till your a minority.

... Huh? Of course you can.

Being bigoted against a group is wrong no matter what. I'm white, but if someone acts racist towards me, that doesn't mean I have to take it or that it shouldn't be discouraged.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »

hahaha Atheists are so boring they don't have any myths or stories to joke about.  :P
Steam Profile

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:35 pm »

I get the feeling that this thread is starting to get (or already is) full of people who would rather try to act edgy and troll the place up than actually discuss anything reasonably.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4