Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325363 times)

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #660 on: September 20, 2009, 10:03:03 am »

Here's a little picture of my fort-in-progress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:33 am »

It's shots like that that remind me just how damned accurate DF's geology is.
Look at those layers!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 20, 2009, 11:13:12 am »

So, how is the development of the next version (with the workshops and all) doing ?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 20, 2009, 01:23:19 pm »

Was that built on a river?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2009, 01:33:46 pm »

Fix the fortification-wall transition please :) (fortifications which are on top of a wall make adjacent walls to be transparent).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 20, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »

Look at those layers!
I know it's pedantic, but I wouldn't say accurate.  I'd give DF an award if it managed to handle plate tectonics properly by lifting and smashing layers together.  Currently it just kind of cheats by determining how close to the air the material is and uses some "cheap" smoothing algorithms if I recall correctly.  If/when I can see vertical/diagonal layers, then we'll talk about accuracy. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 20, 2009, 03:59:40 pm »

Follow up of problem...posted earlier...

Spoiler: log for non function (click to show/hide)
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 21, 2009, 02:33:19 pm »

So, how is the development of the next version (with the workshops and all) doing ?
Rule #1 of software development: Don't ask when it will be done unless you enjoy hearing "soon."

My current fort is why I want a 2x2 square of ramps to be pyramid shaped. I am building pyramids, and have cannot finish the top properly without them. Here's a pic:

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »

Very cool, almay.  Even without the pointy tops, it looks good.  Are those pyramids solid, hollow, or inhabited?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 21, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »

Damn... only way I can think of is to make them a tile wider on two sides. That's going to be a lot of work.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 21, 2009, 08:00:59 pm »

Look at those layers!
I know it's pedantic, but I wouldn't say accurate.  I'd give DF an award if it managed to handle plate tectonics properly by lifting and smashing layers together.  Currently it just kind of cheats by determining how close to the air the material is and uses some "cheap" smoothing algorithms if I recall correctly.  If/when I can see vertical/diagonal layers, then we'll talk about accuracy. ;)

Plate tectonics would be cool for world-gen, but I think at the fortress level just having local-scale synclines, anticlines and fault discontinuities in the rock layers would be enough to make the structural geologists giddy. Come on, Toady, don't leave all the fun for the mineralogists, petrologists, volcanologists, glaciologists and soil scientists! Geology is way more than just that!  ;)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:54 pm »

Look at those layers!

Plate tectonics would be cool for world-gen, but I think at the fortress level just having local-scale synclines, anticlines and fault discontinuities in the rock layers would be enough to make the structural geologists giddy. Come on, Toady, don't leave all the fun for the mineralogists, petrologists, volcanologists, glaciologists and soil scientists! Geology is way more than just that!  ;)
Why did I get the feeling I would start something like this?
Anyways, @ Andir: Minerals and such are defined as igneus extrusive, igneus intrusive, sedimentary, or metamorphic already.  I don't think he uses a "closeness to air" mechanism  ;)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 22, 2009, 01:12:59 pm »

Look at those layers!

Anyways, @ Andir: Minerals and such are defined as igneus extrusive, igneus intrusive, sedimentary, or metamorphic already.  I don't think he uses a "closeness to air" mechanism  ;)
Find me a plot of the world where sand exists below stone (without dwarven intervention)... then we'll talk. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 22, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »

I've had one which had soil as an inclusion (my last fort actually). It was on a sandy slope and only a few tiles from the exposed soil

It can happen with lava vents or pools and the obsidian that surrounds them, but that is completely besides the point that was made.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 22, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »

Very cool, alway.  Even without the pointy tops, it looks good.  Are those pyramids solid, hollow, or inhabited?
Response spoilered to avoid thread derailment.

Look at those layers!

Find me a plot of the world where sand exists below stone (without dwarven intervention)... then we'll talk. ;)
*Quickly mods dwarves into humans, plants a tower cap farm underground*
There! sand under rock with no dwarven intervention!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:37:09 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90