Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325292 times)

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #645 on: September 19, 2009, 02:33:27 am »

It will also load .ojb format, though it will ignore any .mtl files as there is a different system for materials.

I've fixed the water and ramps problems in my dev version.

Yea the water tends to act like, um, chunky jello when it's simulating a flow or waterfall. In VF I mean, not DF.
The chunky jello effect is unavoidable, as it's exactly how it is represented in DF. It's just less obvious in DF because the way in which it's represented hides the details. If you closely examine falling water you will actually find a stack of tiles some of which have 1-2 water and some of which are empty. Smoothing this out in and representing it in 3D would require a very clever and complex algorithm, though it should look better after I add mist in.

The problem I've fixed was the strange angle on water sides that you got when water flowed over a constructed floor.

Mist would look awesome, and perhaps if a chunk has empty space below it, it becomes bits of foamy water. I get your point about continuity, but if each tile faded out at the top and bottom it might look a bit sparse and stringy, but with mist it might be better than the chunks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:58:52 am by zxcvmnb »

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 19, 2009, 02:56:58 am »

Excellent.

I will now be baleeting 3Dwarf.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 19, 2009, 06:56:06 am »

I love how clear glass furniture is actually transparent. I couldn't actually find it at first it at first.  :D

This thing is absolutely awesome.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:00:03 am by Demonic Spoon »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2009, 09:26:12 am »

Just wondering here, but if you put magma or water in a glass box, will you be able to see the sides of the water? Or does it just show the top?

XXX
XWX
XXX      X=glass walls, W= water

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 19, 2009, 10:32:11 am »

Suggestion:

For fluids, such as magma and water, I think the program could benefit from removing unneeded water surfaced (such as those for a water block with another water block on top)

Code: [Select]

currently:

X~~~~~~~X
X       X
X~~~~~~~X
X       X
X~~~~~~~X
X       X
XXXXXXXXX

suggestion:

X~~~~~~~X
X       X
X       X
X       X
X       X
X       X
X       X
XXXXXXXXX

It would help greatly for viewing underwater/magma constructions, as well as assist with underwater navigation.

My second suggestion is to tint the screen blue/red when you are collided with a block of water/magma, as well as having a special 'fog' effect underwater. Both of these would be on/off/scrollbar options, and they wouldn't be strictly necessary, but making a city of atlantas, for instance, would have an added sense of realism.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 19, 2009, 01:23:30 pm »

Ah, the extra water layers you describe must be a bug I added when I last fiddled with it. I'll fix it.

I did always plan on adding a tint to the camera underwater, I just haven't got round to it yet.

And you won't be able to see magma/water through walls in the way you describe since a) walls aren't transparent and b) the sides aren't drawn anyway when they can't be seen.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 19, 2009, 02:51:08 pm »

Quantum:  :o
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 19, 2009, 03:15:55 pm »

that fortress is awesome... totally awesome... how many blocks did you use? it makes my fortress look so... tiny...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 19, 2009, 03:44:16 pm »

Hundreds of thousands of blocks probably, maybe even reaching into a million.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 19, 2009, 04:16:01 pm »

a) walls aren't transparent

I thought glass block walls were transparent.

Also, windows.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:18 pm »

Ah, answered my own question... Seems my giant glass towers with water/magma will be possible after all. :D

Edit: to elaborate on that, glass block walls are NOT transparent; however, the windows are (and to answer my earlier question, water is shown as a block, not just the top side). This means if you do build a transparent tower, there must be non-transparent supports.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:32:29 pm by alway »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 19, 2009, 09:02:57 pm »

Yeah this might not be much of a problem but, I cant get the .802 to work on vista ultimate with fresh download 40d and 40d16...after it says Creating geometry...lightens and gets killed by it....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:08:33 pm by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:25 pm »

I'm not sure if its a bug or something which just isn't implemented, but putting a 2 by 2 square of ramps down with no walls nearby makes the ramps not show up in visualizer. IMO, it should show up pyramid shaped. I think this may be a bug, since it does alter the texture of the wall under it from the smooth tile texture to the constructed wall texture (assuming it is built on top of a constructed wall).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 19, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »

Well... technically the ramps should only slope, if they lead somwhere so it would actually show up as four pyramids.

Having eight ramps around a wall makes for a good pyramid shape.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 19, 2009, 11:56:14 pm »

I did always plan on adding a tint to the camera underwater, I just haven't got round to it yet.

Perhapse just the surfaces underwater should be tinted, this way if the camera is in water and looks up through the waters surface the above water surfaces will be distinguished from those below.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 90