Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325414 times)

Ryusho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 11:29:23 pm »

Whenever I try to start this I get "This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." I don't get it.....

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 11:41:33 pm »

Yep I just DL'ed and got the same message.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 12:17:00 am »

VisualFortress.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to starte because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may mix this problem.

Now what?
Oops. I deliberately used an older compiler because almost everyone already has the DLLs. You just need to download the DLL and drop it in the Visual Fortress dir. Google turns up some sensible results http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MSVCR71.dll&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a. I'll also include it next time I upload, bit of an oversite to leave it out really.

There's your solution, Cross and Ryu. Download the .dll and paste it in your Visual Fortress file.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:26:33 am by Lemnx »
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 01:35:10 am »

Loaded this up and took a look around my fortress, it looks great but.. man the stairs come out looking unreasonably steep with the default settings

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 01:55:59 am »

Looks quite awesome! That is one heck of a dam - Indeed, I might just have to do the exact same thing. Been looking for a challenge for a while, anyway.

But there's a problem, unfortunatley. She crashes on load! The message that pops up reads "Failed to load terrain material". The log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that I'm using Windows XP (SP3, Tablet PC Edition 2005), have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM... I'm not sure what else you need.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:57 am »

Wow, this is the nicest looking visualiser I've seen so far for sure.

Now all we need is for some 3d modellers hiding in the DF community to suddenly reveal themselves and start building some proper models.
give me a list of what you want re-modelled the most

Beds,  tables and chairs, wells. Maybe workshops.

IN THAT ORDER

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1278

on the bug side, I have a problem where many polygons on the trees appear pitch black, possibly due to normals.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:30 am »

Best. Visualizer. Ever.

now just let us play directly from it ;)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:25 am »

an idea for visualizing dwarves.

just a thought. :D

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 03:34:38 am »

an idea for visualizing dwarves.

just a thought. :D

Am I the only person who immediately thought of Paper Mario? :P

Nice modelling skills, btw.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 04:26:30 am »

I can do some pretty good modelling, however I do not know how to get them saved in a good format, and I'm less skilled whit texturing in ways that are good for game applications like this. Also, I dosn't know when I'll get the time to do it, but it shouldn't be to long if it's simple models.
What kind of polygon count is a good target?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 04:29:51 am »

Not sure what I can do about it crashing in Wine, I have no way of testing it. Does the log file indicate that it crashed at a particular point during initialisation?
He said there is no log.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 05:55:17 am »

Nice bed! The polygon count is must be less than 1000, but the lower the better really. High poly counts are OK for some models (statues for instance) as long as in general they are kept fairly low. The lower the poly count the longer I can make the draw distance.
EDIT: .obj files are ideal. Technically the app already reads them, though I convert models into an internal format to speed up loading/reduce package size.

I've uploaded a minor revision, just bug fixes for the most severe problems really:
- d9 & d11 now supported
- Fixed slice crashing bug
- Fixed crash bug when loading map with different dimensions to previous
- Fixed bug 'Could not load Terrain material'. This was weird, I'd made a mistake in the shader but it still compiled one all both my test systems so I didn't notice.
- MSVCR71.dll now included
- Corrected some texture assignment mistakes
- Fixed fortification missing faces
- Fixed stair placment bug
- 'Trees/rocks/shrubs' toggle now works
- Quick fix for Ctrl-R bug (the key was also assigned to Reset Camera, which crashes if no map is loaded - I haven't fixed that yet)
- Added arrow keys as second default camera controls

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272

Either I'm an idiot, or it's not working. I tried using it on my regular program (the OpenGL 40d13), and it said it couldn't find a supported version.
It could be that you're an idiot AND it's not working. Just kidding :). I have no idea what the problem is, which OS are you using? You don't happen to have another window called Drawf Fortress open do you?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:29:12 am by Baboonanza »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 06:05:42 am »

d9 & d11 now supported

Thanks! :)

Edit: The typos I mentioned earlier are still there, just saying.

Edit2: It definetly looks pretty good, although my fort isn't much to look at atm. Also, some of the unrevealed sections don't show up with the slice for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:30:42 am by smjjames »

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 06:25:03 am »

Yeah, I didn't read the typos post until after I'd recompiled. I'll fix them next time. I quite like Fackwards though, it should definitely be a word!

Another long one...

One graphical thing I don't like, is that smoothed floors and the like seem to still have the heightmap noise applied, which is great when it's rough-hewn, but not so much after smoothing.

Some materials are showing up the wrong color, as well.  Case in point: red sand is showing up black in the visualizer.
- I'll fix this, I meant to do it before and obviously forgot.
- Have you modded the stone raws by any chance? If so try running (from the terminal/cmd) 'MatGlossDump [path to DF directory]'. This should rebuild your matgloss file from the DF raws.

First, some stuff I constructed out of granite is showing up as red in the visualizer. It appears that the area I built it in used to be part of a bauxite cluster, which might be throwing off the utility somehow
Usually this either works or it goes catastrophically wrong :). If you've modded the stone raws see above then try again, if not could I have the map please?

1. The slice sliders didn't do anything when frustum culling was disabled.
2. Input strangeness: pressing the shift key while moving the camera to speed it up stops it from moving entirely. You have to release and then press the movement keys again to get it started moving. Also, the controls aren't smooth, mirroring a problem I've also had writing an OpenGL program using C++ and GLUT. When you hold down a movement key, it appears to be read once, then there's a pause, and then the key is continually read, finally resulting in smooth motion.
3. I got a program crash when trying to move the camera around, after playing with those sliders and buttons and maximizing the window. Sorry for the vague details, I couldn't really reproduce it. When the crash came up, I hit the debug button, but nothing happened.
1- Yeah, I forgot about that. I'll add it to the list
2- Strange. I did have problems like this when I was using a wireless mouse and keyboard (to much input seemed to overwhelm it), but I can't think of anything else at the moment...
3- I think this is the same as the bug described by someone else. Now fixed.

Loaded this up and took a look around my fortress, it looks great but.. man the stairs come out looking unreasonably steep with the default settings
I know. The problem is that things in general look better if each square is taller than it is wide, but this leads to very steep staircases, plus I'm also trying to limit the amount of geometry in each stair. I'll probably improve it at some point.

I tried to navigate around my fortress, and it was very confusing. Stairs that dwarves get down fine in-game lead into solid walls, the ramps faced the wrong direction, and my smoothed basalt walls looked like they were made from clay bricks.
That's not a very useful criticism. If you provide screenshots (DF and VF) or some additional information I might be able to fix it.

Not sure what I can do about it crashing in Wine, I have no way of testing it. Does the log file indicate that it crashed at a particular point during initialisation?
He said there is no log.
Well crap, it could be anything then :(. The best thing to do would be to get a Linux version going, and the only real problem there is the memory reading as the rest of the app is more-or-less cross platform already. Ideally I'd like to use Khazad/peterix's DFExtractor instead of mine, his code's really nice and he's definitely better at that side of things than I am, but the inter-relationship between DFExtractor/DFMap makes that difficult.

Re: Real-time - With a quad-core this might just about be possible, though I'm not going to do it myself. The real problem is that since the program is external to DF it has no way of knowing when a block has changed, so has to re-load the whole map all the time. That's why Livevis had a restricted view range.

Re: Snow on trees etc. - This is more difficult than it sounds, mainly because of the dynamic paging/billboarding system. I'm considering using a similar system to shadow mapping (Snow Projection if you will), but it may require too large a depth map to be practical.

Re: FPS - There isn't really an FPS, it only updates when necessary (this means you should be able to have it and DF open at the same time without it eating your CPU). I'll see about measuring the frame time and extrapolating.

And I want to see more pictures please :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:25 am »

Would it also be possible to make the tower cap trees look like, well, tower caps?

The thing about the slice not always showing all unrevealed areas is not a big deal for this particular fort and I have no idea why it's doing that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 90