Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325359 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2009, 07:10:26 pm »

smjjames, 40d11 isn't either of those two supported versions.

Anyway, yeah, the camera movement's working as normal now, so I can move around and look at my stuff and report some bugs.

First, some stuff I constructed out of granite is showing up as red in the visualizer. It appears that the area I built it in used to be part of a bauxite cluster, which might be throwing off the utility somehow.

Second, it looks like up/down stairs in strange locations aren't showing up right. It appears that the up stair portions won't show up if there's solid rock above them, and the up/down stairs in general create empty space for the stairs to go in below them where there should be more solid rock.

You'd think it would be supported though.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »

TTOOAADDYone!!!

If in-game dwarf fortress looked like this... everyone here would never see the light of day again (not to mention the millions which would suddenly not be turned off by the UI)

(and have a "classical mode" for all the ascii lovers plz... (or the poor of graphics card peeps)  ;D )
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 07:35:39 pm »

Nice touch, adding the subtle random heightmap to the terrain. Makes things look a lot more organic.
Also, I'm curious about what kind of FPS I'm getting in this thing. Any way to add a FPS counter?

esluts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 07:46:21 pm »

i wonder if we'll ever be able to have something like this running realtime, and you just use the ascii interface for designating then watch it all on the other monitor.

esluts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »

Nice touch, adding the subtle random heightmap to the terrain. Makes things look a lot more organic.
Also, I'm curious about what kind of FPS I'm getting in this thing. Any way to add a FPS counter?

similar to this, would it be possible to solve the ramp problem by randomizing, adding some bumps and things etc. ala warcraft 3?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 07:53:59 pm »

i wonder if we'll ever be able to have something like this running realtime, and you just use the ascii interface for designating then watch it all on the other monitor.

Lifevis ran in realtime and would update every second or so to show your dwarves moving around.  It wasn't very pretty for a visualizer but it was a cool proof of concept.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:35 pm »

Attempting to use the default Ctrl+R to dump from DF caused a crash.

Nice to see you thought to include snow for those Up North forts.  I recommend including the touch that the trees and boulders are snowy, as well, it'll look real neat.  It'd also be nice if furniture, the wagon, etc showed up in the visualization.

One graphical thing I don't like, is that smoothed floors and the like seem to still have the heightmap noise applied, which is great when it's rough-hewn, but not so much after smoothing.

Some materials are showing up the wrong color, as well.  Case in point: red sand is showing up black in the visualizer.

Remember, everything I say may sound like nitpicks and the like, which it is, but it's ALSO to help implant ideas into your head to help make this thing even better than it is now.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 07:59:53 pm »

How easy would it be to make it compatible with d11? there aren't a whole lot of differences and I really want to check this out, heh....

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 08:14:55 pm »

Wow, this is the nicest looking visualiser I've seen so far for sure.

Now all we need is for some 3d modellers hiding in the DF community to suddenly reveal themselves and start building some proper models.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »

My god...

so beautiful...

too beautiful...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 08:38:06 pm »

I'm getting a terrain load error. I'm not sure what's causing it but I really want to use your app it's so... sexy
Does it say 'Failed to load Terrain material' by any chance? That usually means that the terrain shader program has failed to compile. There may be a reason stated in the log file (sometimes the driver gives a useless message though).

I'm getting this error as well.  If it helps, the log says this:

Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
No anti-aliasing available
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 2
Loading vertex shader 'Default.vert'
Loading fragment shader 'MatGlossBlend.frag'
Shader compilation failed for MatGlossBlend.frag: ERROR: 2:62: 'f' : syntax error parse error
Failed to load shader Default.vert:MatGlossBlend.frag
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »

How easy would it be to make it compatible with d11? there aren't a whole lot of differences and I really want to check this out, heh....

He already addressed this in the thread. It's a matter of taking the memory mapping information already found for other projects and working it up in the format this tool uses. Should be available soon. I tried to figure it out myself but I didn't have complete memory offset information and it didn't work out so well. ;)

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 09:49:05 pm »

Either I'm an idiot, or it's not working. I tried using it on my regular program (the OpenGL 40d13), and it said it couldn't find a supported version. So I downloaded the version from the main page and tried again. Same thing. Is the version from the main page unsupported?  ???

*feels stupid*
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »

Now all we need is for some 3d modellers hiding in the DF community to suddenly reveal themselves and start building some proper models.
give me a list of what you want re-modelled the most

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 11:28:39 pm »

give me a list of what you want re-modelled the most

Beds,  tables and chairs, wells. Maybe workshops.

IN THAT ORDER
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 90