Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325874 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1230 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:16 am »

It's clear Undergrotto has an immense amount of planning and care put into it - way more condensed into concentrated beauty than Flarechannel has, where I started projects more spur-of-the-moment (hence why colors & architecture often don't match). I would certainly take Undergrotto as inspiration for my cavern, if I didn't consider it pointless to even try : P (you may still notic one or two similarities though!)

Curious that you mention you prefer avoiding constructing things, I find carving out a cavern according to any plan too tedious to pursue. Even now, my mindset with my cavern is basically "dig out a huge room, then figure out what to build in it later". Having a complete and wholesome mental image of a giant cavern from start to finish is incredibly daunting.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:52 am »

Dear -ing god.  -Ing god.

Pratchett reference? I want to say... The Truth? >_>

I was going to put "****ing god" or just "***ing god" (I use 3 on the Kongregate chat to indicate that I actually typed the asterisks and its not the chat filter) and then went, "hey, I could do it like that one TP character" and did.

So.  Yes. :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 17, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »

Not as much planning as people think really went into it. The whole thing was really just a crappy sketch on a loose piece of paper >_>; It's easy to change things around to look nice if you spend enough time designating it anyhow. My mindset was very similar to the 'figure out what to build in it later' idea too, I just had a veeeerrry general idea of what I wanted each plateau to be for. From there it was just a matter of following up on my plans, plus a bit of trial and error. I imagine your style is something similar, with the end result looking very polished despite the process being like "eh, I could fit a temple there." Constructed stuff, though, I tend to build really bare - I have to do some Google image searching research to get a good idea of how I want to fill a building up, so I'm not fond of building them. I will be sure to take any similarities between Flarechannel's underground and Undergrotto, real or otherwise imagined, as an immense compliment though!

So.  Yes. :)

Glorious.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »

Pratchett reference? I want to say... The Truth? >_>
"The news spread through the city like wildfire - which spread through the city quite often since its citizens learned the meaning of the words 'fire insurance'" is one of the best book openings I've ever read - the only competition is:  "The building was on fire, and this time it wasn't my fault" (Jim Butcher's Blood Rites, of the Dresden files).  Strangely they both involve fire.  Hm.

Flare can be fire related, so I think I'd vote for that over Undergrotto.  But it'd be close.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 17, 2010, 10:50:23 pm »

Flarechannels is on a level above other fortresses, firstly for its age, also its size is monstrous. The stories give it a leg up also, My favorite being Catten and the Eagle. Who has modified their version to show axles and things? we are missing out on a lot of mechanics this fort has without it.

If there were a competition for greatest 3d-pre tissue fortress, I think Flarechannels would be it.

I am amazed that it doesn't have a wiki entry.

draugath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 20, 2010, 12:02:57 am »

A friend introduced me to the game, and I was wanting to play with d19.  I was disappointed to see that no Memory.xml updates had been done since d17, so I took peterix's modified file for d17 as a reference and I think was able to modify the latest file from dfhack so that the program should now work with d19.  I've only performed one test and it loaded, so that's all I know at this point.  If you want to give it a try, here it is.

Memoryd19-visfort.xml
Just rename it to Memory.xml

I also didn't strip it down nearly as much as peterix did.  Mostly because I was just trying to get Visfort up and running, and since I have no progress in the game I have no clue if leaving some of the stuff in that I did will affect it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:16:09 am by draugath »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »

Works for me in d19 on Windows 7, thanks.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 20, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »

Yay!

Works for me in Windows XP 32 bits.

You're an hero, draugath!

Edit: I can finally see my tower-cap forest!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:35:57 pm by MagicGuigz »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 20, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »

VFort still doesn't have a gigantic mushroom model for the towercap?   :(
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »

Visfort still doesn't *look* at the tree objects and has no notion of wood matgloss.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 20, 2010, 07:01:08 pm »

Visfort still doesn't *look* at the tree objects and has no notion of wood matgloss.
Yeah, I know.

I was saying it so nobody else would.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2010, 07:03:52 pm »

You're a bit late for that.  I commented ages ago that saguaro cacti were being rendered as deciduous trees.
Sanity is for the weak.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »

You're a bit late for that.  I commented ages ago that saguaro cacti were being rendered as deciduous trees.
I doubt people will read all 83 pages of this thread.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:08 pm »

I doubt people will read all 83 pages of this thread.
It's only 25 if you're viewing 50 posts/page.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

Back on topic (please?), does every species of tree really deserve its own model?
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 90