Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325850 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1215 on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »

Having attempted a circular megastructure before, I must commend you on this impressive fort.

Although you dug instead of built the circles, but still, that had to be a giant pain.

Once it's dropped into the ocean will it be accessible? Is the ocean floor flat underneath it? If not does it just 'hang' on the shallowest part?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 16, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »

That's already epic, and it's not even done yet...

Why is everyone so much better at fortressery than me? :D
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

tea_mug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 16, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »

Although you dug instead of built the circles, but still, that had to be a giant pain.

Once it's dropped into the ocean will it be accessible? Is the ocean floor flat underneath it? If not does it just 'hang' on the shallowest part?

Dug? No, I built wall-frames which I then pumped lava into.  There will be no digging until I hollow it out after it's on the ocean floor.

Collapsing earth will fall until it hits more earth or a constructed wall.  It won't 'hang,' but will shear off to fit the land below it.
Code: [Select]
.XX          ...
... collapse ..X
..X   --->   .XX
XXX          XXX

The ocean floor is basically flat.  The ocean here is four z-levels deep, so the center section will reach the surface after the drop;  I plan to build a bridge out to the center and work from there.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:06:59 pm by tea_mug »
1:4:9

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »

Dug? No, I built wall-frames which I then pumped lava into.  There will be no digging until I hollow it out after it's on the ocean floor.

Wow... I assumed you cast a giant cube and carved the circle out of it. Now that I've looked at it again, that makes no sense at all with the exposed water between the circles.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1219 on: March 16, 2010, 06:51:14 pm »

Why is everyone so much better at fortressery than me? :D

Oh I wouldn't say that's the case.  Everyone has their own distinct style (or styles).  Really, just about any above-ground fort can be made to look impressive.  The impractical ones are the most interesting, sure, but even a practical above-ground fort can raise eyebrows.  Instead of belittling yourself, try your hand at designing a megafortress and don't worry if it doesn't match up to stuff like Undergrotto.  The idea is to have fun, not to outdo one another.
Sanity is for the weak.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 16, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

Just as a warning, Tea Mug, if you've dug out the interior of that, all the floors will collapse on each other when you drop it.  If you haven't dug it out, the flat ocean floor should allow it to remain intact.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 16, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »

Stage 1 of my big megaproject is complete.

This is Empireslabor (a pretentious name, but I tend to re-randomize my fort names until I find one I like, and I did like this one).  It is cast from one continuous block of obsidian.  It currently spans four z-levels vertically, and most of my embark location horizontally.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Empireslabor is inspired by some of the classical descriptions of Atlantis.  Following this, Stage 2 will be to drop the whole thing into the ocean, so I thought I'd post pictures while there was still something to see.
Impressive, but I'm curious... why do the forms have ramps?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »

Just as a warning, Tea Mug, if you've dug out the interior of that, all the floors will collapse on each other when you drop it.  If you haven't dug it out, the flat ocean floor should allow it to remain intact.

I'm pretty sure he stated he was going to drop it and then hollow it out.

tea_mug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 16, 2010, 08:35:22 pm »

Impressive, but I'm curious... why do the forms have ramps?

when I was building the first layer, I needed an external pathway to provide access to where I wanted to build the walls.  I decided to make this pathway out of ramps so that if two dwarves met going opposite directions, one of them could just duck up on top of the walls to pass instead of deciding to path the long way around (as they sometimes do).  Basically a sneaky way to get a walkway with an extra tile of width without any extra work.

That sounds clear to me, I hope it makes sense to you
1:4:9

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:40 pm »

It's been a while since a Flarechannel pic. Year 571 now. Still have to finish the underground - I'm about 2/3rds of the way done with digging it out - which will be followed by finishing touches there. Then if I have time I'll finish the artifact storage tower, bottomless pit tower and masonry storage tower.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:59 pm »

By finishing the underground, does that mean something like Retros Undergrotto? If it has something like that, I'm pretty sure it will take the prize of Most epic 40d fortress.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:05 pm »

Similar, but I doubt it will be as amazing. I never intended it to be the highlight of Flarechannel. It certainly won't have the attention to detail that Undergrotto has, unless I get inspired and somehow finish with a bunch of free time before the next release (seems unlikely)
What it will have is the Moon Temple (duplicate of the Sun Temple), the entrance into the deep passages portion of the fortress, some magma and water pools (where I'll probably dump goblins, elves, and my dragon). Not much else is planned though. It WILL be very big, which is something I guess.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »

It's been a while since a Flarechannel pic. Year 571 now. Still have to finish the underground - I'm about 2/3rds of the way done with digging it out - which will be followed by finishing touches there. Then if I have time I'll finish the artifact storage tower, bottomless pit tower and masonry storage tower.

Dear -ing god.  -Ing god.
 :o

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1228 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:25 pm »

Looks like Undergrotto has some above-ground competition.  Damn that looks sweet.
Sanity is for the weak.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 17, 2010, 01:16:27 am »

While I'm honoured, I don't think my cavern can compete with Flarechannel :P It's simply too ginormous and awesome. Even trying to comprehend how after all this time it's still not considered 'finished' is astounding. If anything, Undergrotto is on the exact opposite end of the scale as Flarechannel - carving out vs. constructing up. I don't think I'm really any good at constructing things anyhow,

Also, tea_mug, that's totally wicked! Aside from looking cool as-is, the idea of shaping an obsidian cast purely for the purposes of dropping it underwater and then hollowing it out is something that's never occurred to me and a really cool way of making your fort. Though this isn't the thread for it, Stonesense has translucent water, so if you want to visualize your fort post-droppage you can check that out; I know Silfurdreki's Silverwaters fort looked really cool that way (it was also underwater, but constructed-then-flooded).

Dear -ing god.  -Ing god.

Pratchett reference? I want to say... The Truth? >_>
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 90