Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325852 times)

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1185 on: March 07, 2010, 06:23:13 pm »

Wow, that embark is great! Mind posting your gen and location?
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1186 on: March 07, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50596.msg1070013#msg1070013

Check the bottom of the OP. I have all the info and location right there. And it shoud also provide some awesome names. May require the Carippo Mod (included in post) in order to get it though.

Feel free to contribute your experiences with these beasts on the page.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:57:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1187 on: March 07, 2010, 07:21:10 pm »

When's the next release? I have an awesome embark location, but I can't see it in Visfort due to incompatibilities. :(

Note: Using d18

1. Get 40d16
2. Copy your save to 40d16 save folder
3. Run DF 40d16
4. Run Visual Fortress
5. ? ? ?
6. Profit!
Thanks alot.

Here we go:
Spoiler: Full Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lab Design (so far) (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

"Projectile vomit" takes on whole new meanings in Dwarf Fortress.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 07, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »

"Projectile vomit" takes on whole new meanings in Dwarf Fortress.

And lo, from above the Carp Dragon did pierce the clouds,
Floating above the great seas,
And battling the Great Indigestion our Lord the Carp Dragon didst hurl
Spewing the Land forth from his innards.

And the Lord spoke,
"What the.. when did I eat that?"

And so it was good.

That circular rise that's formed by the river's curve is pretty awesome. Great-looking site for a fort.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1190 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »

Gearholes: because nothing says Dwarven security like increasingly decisive trap corridors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sanity is for the weak.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:15 am »

Looking for a bit of help here. I'm about ten minutes away from being completely done with Undergrotto forever - I just need to take some VF screenshots. And I still can't get VF working.

I don't really know what's wrong. No matter how much time I give it, I can't get past the 'creating blocks' or whatever line. I know it's not my save, my copy of DF, or my copy of VF, because I tried genning a new world in a brand-new copy of DF and rendering it in a brand-new copy of VF and got stuck trying to load a 2x2 perfectly flat embark. I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium, but I had the exact same issues on a friend's computer with Windows Vista (I think premium as well). I haven't changed any settings or anything, and attempting 'compatibility mode' didn't help either. Yet my old computer, a 6-year-old laptop running some version of XP, was able to load a 288x288x98 map in a minute or so. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong here? I just want to take my screenshots and put this four-and-a-half-month-old fort away forever.

Kaelem suggested that Oracle Sun Virtual Box program a while back, but it seemed really really complicated and I don't even know if it addresses whatever my problem is. If someone else thinks it's worth another try, though, I'll have another go at it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 11, 2010, 12:11:12 pm »

Windows 7 Home Premium

I think this might be the issue.  I remember seeing something about VF not liking the "Home Premium" versions of Vista and Windows 7.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1193 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:37 pm »

There's always the option of sending the Undergrotto save to someone who can get Visual Fortress to work and have them take screenshots as per your specifications.  Hardly the ideal solution, but it's better than being left with no options at all.
Sanity is for the weak.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 11, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »

Windows 7 Home Premium

I think this might be the issue.  I remember seeing something about VF not liking the "Home Premium" versions of Vista and Windows 7.

That would make sense. Okay, I'll try again on a different friend's computer. Thanks! :D

There's always the option of sending the Undergrotto save to someone who can get Visual Fortress to work and have them take screenshots as per your specifications.  Hardly the ideal solution, but it's better than being left with no options at all.

True. I really hope it doesn't come to that, though; there's a lot of very specific shots I want as I'm doing a big write-up (yeah, I'm gonna be one of those my-fortress-demands-a-thread types :P) and I want to follow the tour I've written. I'm ready to post and upload everything as soon as I've go those last screenies, so with luck that Home Premium business is the issue.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 11, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »

Windows 7 Home Premium

No problems with it on my copy of W7 Home Premium (64-bit, no less).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:55 am »

Yeah it works fine on my Vista Home Premium (64-bit also.)

One thing you should never try to do though, Gen a town in Adventure mode (Unless you turn on show hidden) it crashes cause so much is hidden thanks to trees and the interiors of houses.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:41 am »

Despite you guys having Home Premium versions working, I wasn't able to get anything going until I tried my friend's W7 Professional. But regardless it worked and I have screenies! I won't be posting them here, but I'll come back with a link when I'm done. (edit: I did! Link in sig)

Aside from that, anyone have any new screenies? The last interesting thing we had in here was Gearholes, but that was a little while back.

One thing you should never try to do though, Gen a town in Adventure mode (Unless you turn on show hidden) it crashes cause so much is hidden thanks to trees and the interiors of houses.

I didn't even think of using VF in Adventure mode :O but I don't use it that much in general, so shows what I know.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:05:26 pm by Retro »

tea_mug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 12, 2010, 01:18:31 pm »

Aside from that, anyone have any new screenies?
Well, I hadn't planned on posting until I had a big megaproject ready to show off, but I've lurked long enough and there has been a dearth of images...

So, I present a lesser megaproject: Ragplunges, the desert oasis fort.

What I learned from this fort:
When you fill a surface pond with water, turtles will appear, even if you're in a desert and miles away from any other body of water. I've since learned that vermin (including turtles) will spontaneously generate whenever a suitable habitat appears, but for a while I thought my fort was causing turtles to come into existence because it was just that awesome.
1:4:9

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 12, 2010, 05:34:29 pm »

Ragplunges features a waterfall-fed pond and shield walls to block the hot desert winds. Ragplunges exists primarily to give caravans and other travelers a place to rest and restock food and water.

Cool! I really like that you designed it with dwarves in mind to block wind and provide rest and so on. Looks quite nice too. And yeah, turtles are basically magic. No wonder dwarves named their currency after them.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 90