Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Beginners Mafia - Game over!  (Read 71986 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia - taking sign-ups!
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »

In mafiascum they put 2 IC's in every newbie game... 9 players total... 7 newbs 2 ICs to guide them... they ICs may still be scum but should try to help the players as much as possible...

web: mafia MUST have a Roleblocker to prevent a cop claim...
Wouldn't the night kill and the fact that you could be trying to trick the doctor into protecting the mafia be enough?  Although yeah, I agree, there should be a mafia RB.

By the way, I'll be away from Tuesday - Friday, so I may not be able to play this round.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:45 pm »

Hey, Web, Alexhans, Josh, do you like my idea of us making day-by-day statements to release at the end of the game?
ok....
I'm thinking maybe vets who are familiar with the principles but less inclined towards lengthy analysis (Inaluct, for example) might be better for the people who are an actual part of it.
You've got to be kidding me...  ::)  Inaluct lurks and has never shown much inclination to scumhunt...
Wouldn't the night kill and the fact that you could be trying to trick the doctor into protecting the mafia be enough?  Although yeah, I agree, there should be a mafia RB.
No.  If there's a cop that claims and no one counter claims (knowing there is a doc) then the claimed cop is town and will be protected.  If mafia counter claims, all they can do is trade a mafioso for the cop (unless the mafioso gets lynched, and scum is screwed). 

In any way.  If there's no threat to the cop's claim it's in town's best interest to make him claim and then get protected. 

Mafia can't trade 1 for 1.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2009, 11:39:40 pm »

Not inaluct.

And good call Alex. I seem to have forgotten that.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2009, 04:21:35 pm »

I'll join in.  Been years since I played any form of mafia and reading the entire set of Para matches got me interested again.  It's also a good way to get intros out of the way as well *newbie waves*.

Meanwhile, if you are looking to keep it purely simple, I'd say 1 doc would be enough to get the players used to power roles (town wondering who is out there, mafia having a direct target, and doc fearful for their life) without a chance at breaking the game.  Newbies tend to hang on to the cop roles to save the town more than anything else: leaving them out is enough to keep the focus off power roles.

Other roles can be used easily, like the roleblocker and even a vig.  Once the cop or other investigative role comes in, the game needs to be more complicated to cancel them.  Nothing wrong with a nice healthy set of power roles though, imo (i.e. Para 1 without the Aliens). 

Of course making sure no one knows what the game will have beyond the # of mafia is enough to curb ALL issues: you could even do a 1 doc/1cop since we won't know that's how it's set up (note mafiascum had to change that because they kept running the same roles over and over, so everyone knew what was comming..you won't have the same problem here).

*that'll be a trip: seeing the role list from Para 4 but it ends up being 1 cop 2 mafia and rest townies :P*
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:38:42 pm by dakarian »
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:52 pm »

Hey, Web, Alexhans, Josh, do you like my idea of us making day-by-day statements to release at the end of the game?

Sure Pandar, I'd be up to do this!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2009, 12:26:07 am »

Awesome, all of us are on-board for that, then.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:41 am »

Ok, since Leafsnail will be out for a good chunk of the week dakarian can have his spot.

I'll update the first post with the possible roles I'll be allowing (cop, doctor, godfather), and I'll get the game set up and running sometime today.

I think I'll let Webadict be in the game as a coach (just be nice to the newbies, Web ;) ).

Web, Panda, Josh, and Alex (if he likes), can all do day-by-day summaries once the game is over to help everyone see how they did. Should be very useful for everyone. And remember, it's constructive criticism, so don't feel too bad if missed stuff or made mistakes. Everyone does, even veteran players.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:49 pm »

Ok, since Leafsnail will be out for a good chunk of the week dakarian can have his spot.

I'll update the first post with the possible roles I'll be allowing (cop, doctor, godfather), and I'll get the game set up and running sometime today.

I think I'll let Webadict be in the game as a coach (just be nice to the newbies, Web ;) ).

Web, Panda, Josh, and Alex (if he likes), can all do day-by-day summaries once the game is over to help everyone see how they did. Should be very useful for everyone. And remember, it's constructive criticism, so don't feel too bad if missed stuff or made mistakes. Everyone does, even veteran players.
Don't worry. I'll be nice, and I won't yell at them even if they make a really big mistake. But if they make a really huge mistake, I might have to give 'em a good talkin' to. And no pming, or what?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia - closed - will start soon
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »

Correct, no PMing unless you're mafia. And then only to each other.

I'm going to be a bit busy tonight, so I'll get the game started tomorrow morning. Probably around 10am Pacific.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:42 pm »

Correct, no PMing unless you're mafia. And then only to each other.

I'm going to be a bit busy tonight, so I'll get the game started tomorrow morning. Probably around 10am Pacific.
Sounds good. What's the setup?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:12 pm »

7 Townsfolk, 2 Mafia. Possible roles are Cop and Doctor for town and Godfather for Mafia. There will be 0-1 of any given power role in the game. So, pretty much your standard beginner set-up.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia - Day 1
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2009, 12:01:48 pm »

There has always been a mafia presence in this town, but until now it was quiet. Something to be tolerated, if you couldn't get rid of it easily. Now, though, now they've crossed the line. The Mayor and the Chief of Police have been found dead, and the town is in a panic. You 9 have decided to do something about it. The only catch is, you're sure that 2 of you are the mafia members behind all of this. Therefore, each day you'll vote to lynch the person you think most likely to be mafia. If you choose wisely, the town will be saved. If you choose poorly, the mafia will be able to take complete control of the town.

Ok, Day 1 has started. This day will go until ~10am Pacific Thursday. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the rules.
Come play Mafia with us!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32:01 pm »

Let the hunt begin. I Inny minny miny mo'd my lynch in Vector. What's your story?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »

Scratch that, Unvote. Vector hasn't been on in 3 days and i'd like a response sooner rather then later. Next on the list is Free Beer who also hasn't been on in 3 days. Next is webadict and I don't think Meph would make the experienced person here a mafia so back to the top of the list with Jim Groovester. What's your story?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »

For reference:  All mafia game moderators distribute roles randomly... Using Excel spreadsheets, random.org or some other tool so that everyone has the exact same chances of getting each role. 

If you ever mod a game.  You should do this.  It's only fair and it will avoid having players trying to outguess the mod instead of scumhunting.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48