Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Vehicles?  (Read 1878 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
New Vehicles?
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:34:03 pm »

There is a raws file for wagons and what about if I add something in there? Or is it hardcoded?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: New Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:53:23 pm »

They are in the raws under creature_equipment.txt. Not sure what kinds of things you can do with them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:45:50 pm »

This has been discussed many times. You can't add cars or any nonsense, but you could potentially change the carrying capacity of a wagon, or maybe even give it fireballs. Why would you do this? For teh lulz.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

I was hoping to make caravan guards ride wagons, and armored wagons so they can't get killed while driving during a "accidental" magma incident.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:23 pm »

Riding is probably impossible, but if you want to armor them, you can change their material/racegloss to something more fireproof. Something like this should work:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[EQUIPMENT_WAGON] is a bit weird, though, so I have no idea what kinds of oddities or conflicts might pop up.

Also, unless you replace them with iron versions or change their temperature settings, the pack animals pulling the wagon won't be magma-proof.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:22:17 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think maybe making the wagon out of solid iron would slow it down considerably.

I have no idea if it takes the weight of the wagon into account for speed, I think I will test this when I get home

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »

A creature's speed isn't affected by its weight, and I've seen wagons made out of extremely heavy wood(6000+ SOLID_DENSITY) move as normal speeds, so I don't think it matters.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »

Would a metal wagon deflect arrows and bolts?
P.S.I need an answer quick!

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:44:06 pm »

No. As far as I know, being made of a material doesn't really offer any special advantages other than increased resistance/vulnerability to temperature.

You could give them ridiculously high DAMBLOCK, but that wouldn't do anything for the rest of the caravan.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:47:18 pm »

I had a thought recently and this seems the right place to mention it. Can't you mod dragon stats onto a wagon, or add a 3x3 tile size to a pre-existing dragon to create a proper dragon?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:09 pm »

BEHOLD THE DRAGON!!
Sir that's a wagon.
Dammit

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »

I had a thought recently and this seems the right place to mention it. Can't you mod dragon stats onto a wagon, or add a 3x3 tile size to a pre-existing dragon to create a proper dragon?

The 3x3 size seems to be part of EQUIPMENT_WAGON, which adds a lot of stuff that normal creatures don't have, so you'd probably end up with a green wagon with dragon body parts and fire breath.

...Which actually sounds more terrifying than the current dragon.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 08:04:35 pm »

So if I put a bronze colosuss there I would end up with a transformer?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 08:34:31 pm »

The 3x3 size seems to be part of EQUIPMENT_WAGON, which adds a lot of stuff that normal creatures don't have, so you'd probably end up with a green wagon with dragon body parts and fire breath.

But changing the look of the wagon is easy enough. Basically make it green or red and use a different symbol for the parts of it. It wouldn't be perfect, but at least it would make dragons bigger.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »

The initial results are a bit worrying.

I got this message immediately after entering a region with a modified dragon.

EDIT: I found its corpse. It was apparently running the town I entered. It spawned inside the door and didn't fit, so I guess it was crushed.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:16:45 pm by LOSNR »
Pages: [1] 2 3