Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bling?  (Read 2669 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bling?
« on: July 26, 2009, 02:10:50 pm »

So I've had my dwarves sparring naked for some 3 decades now. They're using only masterwork steel bucklers and masterwork weapons that I periodically switch out, just on whim.

I have a legendary armorsmith churning out the most exquisite plate armor ever.

So why are they naked?

Because when they equip the armor, my craftsdwarves will no longer be able to decorate it while its being worn.

So they've been decorating this mountain of masterwork armor, adding bling to it.

For 3 DECADES.

And my military dorfs are still naked. The steel plate is just insufficiently decorated. It will probably never be full decorated either. I've halted production of all other items, and my workshops have been focusing on adding decorations for two full decades. Twenty years. I still have plain, unadorned military equipment.

HALP  :(

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bling?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:15:00 pm »

I applaud your dedication to a 30-year fort dedicated to making images of the history of naked dwarfdom. And cheese.

I can only imagine that if these were ever used or stolen, the entire fortress would explode from art defacement.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:18:34 pm »

Nah, they've got so many masterworks that I regularly chuck inferior quality items into the magma pit and the legendary craftsdwarves are still ecstatic.

I'm also running into a similar situation with furniture. I've made masterwork, custom metal furniture for all of the metalworkers and jewelers, to to each of their own personal tastes. However, they're still sleeping on the floor in the barracks because I've been decorating their furniture for some 20 years, and its still not decorated enough.

How much bling is too much bling?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:21:58 pm »

Planepacked has to much bling.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »

Also, most of the decorations appear to be of either tentacle demons (thanks, Urist McDungeonmaster  ::)) or of elves being killed by humans.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:02 pm »

I have two images in my head.

In the first, the dwarves are using needles to place tiny gems into the existing decorations, making a fractal progression. This is followed by dwarves using Scanning tunneling microscopes that run on magma.

In the second, they can't move the items out of the workshops, because they have all turned into balls of gems and bone and cloth and metal that don't look anything like the original object.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

Urist McSoldier:What is that?
Urist McCraftsdwarf:Your armor.
Urist McSoldier:Hell no im not wearing that.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:34:00 pm »

You can speed up the process of decorating -just- the armour and nothing else by locking it in a room with a workshop, and things to use for decorating with.

Besides that, you can never have too much decorations.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 02:34:51 pm »

OR CAN YOU!?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:47:13 pm »

I've got 4 full time legendary metalcrafters and about 20 legendary bonecrafters. Four magma furnaces and 8 crafts workshops, all churning out stuff around the clock.

I have 4 different types of metal I'm decorating things with, and my bone farms are producing an unlimited amount of dog, wolf, fox, and grizzly bear bone, plus the various goblin bone "donations" that arrive once a year, along with occasional fish bones from traders.

This means that every piece of armor must be decorated at least 8 times. Anything less is unacceptable!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »

*knocking*
THIS IS THE HUMAN POLICE SURRENDER YOUR BLING

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:12:38 pm »

You gotta do this to all the bolts too. Everyone who escapes alive and with some arrows stuck to them would be rich!

Your armours got jewels that got jewels that got jewels that got jewels that got jewels that got jewels.
This is true bling.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

I think your problem might be that they're adding ALL your bling to the few closest armors. Try locking away the armor that is sufficiently decorated (at least while you bring the other stuff up to snuff), not to emtnion thigns that you want undecorated.

If you don't know how to do that, here how: Forbid the sufficient armor, stockpile everything unforbidden by the workshop, and then lock that stockpile, and make another stockpile for the forbidden armor, which you should unforbid. Maybe that's a terrible explanation. Too bad.

Also: Phantom, have you ever made a useful post?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:48:08 pm »

Sometimes but I have to be in the right mood.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »

I think your problem might be that they're adding ALL your bling to the few closest armors. Try locking away the armor that is sufficiently decorated (at least while you bring the other stuff up to snuff), not to emtnion thigns that you want undecorated.

If you don't know how to do that, here how: Forbid the sufficient armor, stockpile everything unforbidden by the workshop, and then lock that stockpile, and make another stockpile for the forbidden armor, which you should unforbid. Maybe that's a terrible explanation. Too bad.

Also: Phantom, have you ever made a useful post?

But I want bling on EVERYTHING;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4