Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620785 times)

Spectral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.4.2 10/26/09 see first post)
« Reply #540 on: February 01, 2010, 06:57:10 pm »

I personally hope he ignores you completely.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 01, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »

There were also people who thought that identity theft was something that people should not be punished for...

One person stole a woman's identity and then taunted her for almost a year because there was no law against it.

There are also people who believe murder should not be a crime...

People have different opinions on lots of things...

You can think how you like...  However, I persist in my statement, that IF he does not want to add to confusion and IF he does not want it to look like he is up to no good (Just appearances, I really hope he is not and this was just a mistake how he wrote things out.) he will change things.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:12:14 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 01, 2010, 07:21:55 pm »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2010, 07:34:21 pm »

Anyone care to give reasoning or is this just going to be like the crazy zombies *and several thousand other dead people* that voted for "hope" and "change".

Or are you all the same person just with a bunch of accounts trying to be funny?

I have already given evidence to prove my point, how about some acceptance or debate... Rather than empty statements saying he should ignore me.

Unless you wish to deny the existence of people posting in his thread because the believed it to be this thread.  If somehow you can prove they do not exist, I will agree that you should say he should ignore me.

Please Prove these messages do not exist:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.msg953731#msg953731
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.msg963400#msg963400
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.msg965673#msg965673
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.msg1005439#msg1005439
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.msg1005670#msg1005670
*note he even was confused about the version numbers as he calls it the "old version of Dwarf Therapist"

Now... While I can imagine there may be usefulness from a DT DFhack blend I dont know I never tried it... I still contend the main post is confusing.   And I happen to have a bit of evidence on my side as people seem confused and call it Dwarf therapist.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:53:21 pm by profit »

Spectral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 01, 2010, 08:09:32 pm »

Your argument is "because he didn't use BIG RED FONT to advertise the fact his version is modded and people are using his thread for support he has a strong connection to a malware writer."

Firstly, big red font. Are you serious? If you use visual aids and require such things don't force them on other people. If someone posting in that thread can't be bothered to read the entire first post because "its a wall of text" that is NOT the fault of the threads poster! To suggest so is ridiculous.

Secondly, people using his thread for support. Maybe they are using his modded version? Would you expect chmod to provide support for his OPEN source program and EVERY iteration and fork of it? Do debian provide support for ubuntu? Even if people are asking him questions about the original DT its still not something to throw your hands up in outrage over. From all accounts chmod has been mia since early December. Someone who can write a (working) mod for his program obviously knows its in and outs pretty damn well and would be well qualified to help these people. Would you deny them help because its not 'authorised'? Who the hell are you to say so?

Your accusations are pretty unfounded and disrespectful. I think I'd feel pretty hard done by if the same thing happened to me.

My account is new because I've been playing dwarf fortress for about 2 weeks. My friend got me onto DT to help manage my dwarfies. Now as an ubuntu user the base DT only goes upto an older version which has significant bugs. After running into some issues I had zero help from any parts on the DT site. Then i discover someone has pushed the code a little further and has managed to get a newer (and so far working) version going on my machine I couldn't get before. I also discovered your rather scathing posts in BOTH threads.

I have no connection to anyone on this forum including either chmod or Belal. I simply found your posts offensive.

xrogaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Notoriously depraved
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 01, 2010, 08:36:40 pm »

Note that : the dfhack lib was commited into the source code by James.F.Hester.

There, the revisions :
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/source/detail?r=345
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/source/detail?r=346
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/source/detail?r=347

That branch isn't yet released.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »

Your argument is "because he didn't use BIG RED FONT to advertise the fact his version is modded and people are using his thread for support he has a strong connection to a malware writer."

Firstly, big red font. Are you serious? If you use visual aids and require such things don't force them on other people. If someone posting in that thread can't be bothered to read the entire first post because "its a wall of text" that is NOT the fault of the threads poster! To suggest so is ridiculous.

Secondly, people using his thread for support. Maybe they are using his modded version? Would you expect chmod to provide support for his OPEN source program and EVERY iteration and fork of it? Do debian provide support for ubuntu? Even if people are asking him questions about the original DT its still not something to throw your hands up in outrage over. From all accounts chmod has been mia since early December. Someone who can write a (working) mod for his program obviously knows its in and outs pretty damn well and would be well qualified to help these people. Would you deny them help because its not 'authorised'? Who the hell are you to say so?

Your accusations are pretty unfounded and disrespectful. I think I'd feel pretty hard done by if the same thing happened to me.

My account is new because I've been playing dwarf fortress for about 2 weeks. My friend got me onto DT to help manage my dwarfies. Now as an ubuntu user the base DT only goes upto an older version which has significant bugs. After running into some issues I had zero help from any parts on the DT site. Then i discover someone has pushed the code a little further and has managed to get a newer (and so far working) version going on my machine I couldn't get before. I also discovered your rather scathing posts in BOTH threads.

I have no connection to anyone on this forum including either chmod or Belal. I simply found your posts offensive.

See now that is more like it!!!!! At least you are showing some emotion, and even if I find your logic lacking it is at least something.

#1. I never said he was a malware writer, I stated that fact mutliple times.  He simply used things accidently or on pourpose that many malware writers do use. However you just completely proved my point that people never carefully read things.

#2. Wall of text is valid, because you misstated what I did already.  If you feel you are fairly intelligent and miss read what I posted, in small posts, how can you expect someone of normal intelligence to catch little things in a huge post.

#3. (looking for tech support argument) They may well have been using his modded version. Actually I am certain they were... But to me it looked like they believed it to be an official next version since they refered to it as Dwarf Therepist.. Maybe one of those people was using it for shorthand rather than calling it +Dfhack but I am betting most were not.  From what I see most of the problems look were caused by the melding of the two programs but you are right, perhaps he could have provided tech support somehow, but I contend this is more likely a case of mistaken identity than a legitimate tech support request.

#4. I actually said you were acting like a zombie..  Only offering the alternative of the same person with a bunch of accounts if no one responded with a decent post.  I feel this is important enough that a simple "ditto" response is not acceptable.  I wanted to see some logic, either agreeing with me or not agreeing with me.

#5. I am pleased you think the program is an improvement and it is a work on the code base.  However, I have never argued one way or the other for the program itself *something else I have stated in my messages you apparently did not read or you missed, Once again backing up wall of text theory*  The merits of the program are  moot, I am arguing that with his post it LOOKS (to me) deliberately misleading (I SAID LOOKS! I AM NOT SAYING IT IS IT JUST LOOKS LIKE IT!)

#6. Thank you for at least taking the time to draft a response.  I am sorry you find it offensive, but I find posts that look like they are trying to capitalize on something else's popularity for their purposes HIGHLY offensive (Not to mention dangerous if they do it for the same reasons many on the internet do).. Once again I am not saying it is done on purpose.. It might be an accident as I have stated over and over again...another part you missed... (wall of text argument again...)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:53:27 pm by profit »

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »

Sending a polite PM to belal, voicing your concerns, would've been a much better way to approach this than accusing him of fraud.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

Hmm... You know.. I honestly forgot this forum has a PM function.... You are right.... I should have.

I still contend the same things I was contending.. but yeah this should have been private unless he didn't respond to me.

xrogaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Notoriously depraved
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »

And, belal as the right to do what he want, the way he want with the source code. Because therapist is released under the MIT license who said:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

That's freedom, you should learn it. And if you belive belal is doing shit, just prove it. Don't come without basis.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »

And, belal as the right to do what he want, the way he want with the source code. Because therapist is released under the MIT license who said:
MIT Licence text

That's freedom, you should learn it. And if you belive belal is doing shit, just prove it. Don't come without basis.

#1. Never said what he was doing was illegal or not within the freedom granted to him. Matter of fact stated as such, just it was not a nice use of an open source program
While the Dwarf TheRapist is open source, I would like to point out this is a confusing and underhanded way of releasing a merged verison of it.
(You really do have a problem catching small things in messages =p)
* further note, I have edited that out of my original message that because it was accusatory and I have to accept this could have been a mistake on his part and not be intentional to mislead people.

#2. I had a basis and I believe I proved it. My basis was "His post was written in a confusing manner that appeared consistent with an intent to appear as a legitimate Dwarf Therapist release"
 *Side note: How on earth could you have missed this as my basis!?!?*

But Petrix was right, I should have PM'ed him... Just forgot the forum had that feature.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:33:20 pm by profit »

Spectral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2010, 09:44:42 pm »

Although I don't agree with the way you initially went about it I can see where you are coming from profit.
For what its worth, sorry for being overly abrasive in my first few posts, I probably shouldn't post on forums when I am fresh out of bed and a few minutes from heading to work.

At the end of the day all i really want to see is DT's continued development. Its a great program and I think we'd all be sad to see it go the way of the dodo.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »

Yeah.. it's alright.. I don't agree with the way I initially went about it either... It is a serious concern and I think I degraded the argument by making accusations out of the gate.   I should have stuck with a more neutral tone, even if I have seen similar things many times used in a malicious way... I just kill viruses and malware for a living and you start to see things very differently after learning how they tricked people into getting them... Perhaps it is changing me and not for the better.

I want to see DT developed as well.  I would also hate to see it "go the way of the dodo"

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2010, 06:17:17 am »

Sadly timezone differences mean I wasn't able to respond last night (for me) but here goes.

Lets go back and address your edited post in the Dwarf Therapist - DFHack Edition - Updated *v0.0.5* thread.

Many people are obviously in the mistaken belief that:

1. You are the author of DT

2. This is an official DT release.

You may wish to put some nice red text at the beginning clarifying your post is not official.

Edit: Removed accusatory tone.  Should be more careful with my words. Sorry bout that.

Here's a summary of the unique posts prior to yours:

Users who did not explicitly state knowledge that DT:DFHE is a fork: (7)
Taritus, KaelGotDwarves, niche, happydog23, Djohaal, LoopyDood, Spectral

Users who explicityly state knowledge that DT:DFHE is a fork: (7)
Slink, Buddybud, Implaer[WrG], Grath, peterix, HideousBeing, Hugo_The_Dwarf

So 50:50 split at worst. However, Taritus, KaelGotDwarves and niche registered at least 6+ months ago. I would be willing to stake a bet that, although they did not explicity state it, they are aware of DT:DFHE being a fork. Further more Spectral is and was clearly aware that he was dealing with a fork. Certainly I think that a proportion of people would not feel the need to say "nice fork" or "interesting modification" before posting a query. But on the basis of registration date I'd would revise the above to:

Users who are likely to be unaware that DT:DFHE is a fork: (3)
happydog23, Djohaal, LoopyDood

Users who are likely to be aware that DT:DFHE is a fork: (3)
Taritus, KaelGotDwarves, niche

Users who are aware that DT:DFHE is a fork: (8)
Slink, Buddybud, Implaer[WrG], Grath, peterix, HideousBeing, Spectral, Hugo_The_Dwarf

Edit: Although quoted correctly above, I incorrectly stated that Profit used the word most which he clearly didn't from the quote above. Original text is spoilered.

I would still argue the case that 3 users could still not be considered as many, in this case it is quite literally, a few.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. I never said he was a malware writer, I stated that fact mutliple times.  He simply used things accidently or on pourpose that many malware writers do use. However you just completely proved my point that people never carefully read things.

No you never explicitly stated it, however it is clearly implied in the language you use.

Maybe it really was all accidental... but everything basically looks like it was taken from a page of how to get people to download malware instead of their intended program.... *not saying it is Malware, just that the same types of trickery they use to get people to download their crap instead of legitimate applications was used for that*

Still that kind of trickery is something used by malware writers, even when it is obviously not the correct version when you compare the numbers side by side, alot of humans only remember the final set of numbers not the entire thing and malware writers prey upon that.

The only thing in question is if it was intentional or not.. I suppose it could have been an honest mistake, it just does not appear like that to me.

#2. Wall of text is valid, because you misstated what I did already.  If you feel you are fairly intelligent and miss read what I posted, in small posts, how can you expect someone of normal intelligence to catch little things in a huge post.

~40% of the first post refers to the alternative version. With several clear and explicit references which I have quoted previously. They are not little things.

It is also clear from this that Belal has made it a priority to avoid confusion.

Incidentally, in my role as a web-dev, we tried 32pt red text about 12 years ago to minimise the number of people who didn't understand what to put in to a field described by the text "Enter your name as it appears on your credit card." We only experienced a drop of 10% in the number of Mr Mastercards and Ms Visas shopping on our site. We ended up having to use field validation to prevent it.

#3. (looking for tech support argument) They may well have been using his modded version. Actually I am certain they were... But to me it looked like they believed it to be an official next version since they refered to it as Dwarf Therepist.. Maybe one of those people was using it for shorthand rather than calling it +Dfhack but I am betting most were not.  From what I see most of the problems look were caused by the melding of the two programs but you are right, perhaps he could have provided tech support somehow, but I contend this is more likely a case of mistaken identity than a legitimate tech support request.

Edit:
Clearly, as only 3 people may have been unaware this does not apply. Again your incorrect usage of "most".

To recap:

It is clear to anyone of moderate intelligence that DT:DFHE is not DT.

Belal has clearly made a great effort to make this clear by dedicating at ~40% of the first post to making it clear, including making it clear in the title.

Edit:
Only 3 posters may have not have been aware that DT:DFHE was a fork.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suspect your job is tainting your perceptions, I know it certainly is with me. Essentially I now assume that the general public are of sub-average intelligence coupled with no commonsense and that everybody is out to hack our websites and network. :)

Feel free to PM me if you want to carry on the debate.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:48:38 am by dephelis »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 124