Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Total War mods  (Read 8291 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire: Total War, Siege battles
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 09:09:16 pm »

Odd how noone has even mentioned the mess that is naval battles...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »

I don't really play them, mainly because it gets REALLY laggy for me.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:13 am »

I loved Rome and Medieval2. Is this worth it?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:55 am »

I loved Rome and Medieval2. Is this worth it?

Honestly? No. While gunpowder units are fun they take away...how can I say this right...they take away the fun of commanding units. It's more about how well you micromanage you're line infantry than any real strategy. There's barely any unique units so it all feels so cookie cutter.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 02:54:08 am »

I agree. Unlike other Total War games, the appeal of this one runs out really fast. All the units are the same. Everyone uses more or less the same ships. The siege battles are so ponderous and random. Garrisoning anything is so stupid.

It's really blah. Medieval 2 is better by leagues.

Maybe they'll release an expansion pack that would make things more interesting, but I dunno.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:59 am »

They also force you to pay for extra units now.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 04:31:57 am »

Completely agree, it may be a good buy when the price goes down but right now it doesn't campare to Medieval 2 nor Rome. If you reall need some gunpowder action, try th Napoleonic: Total War 2 Mod for Rome Total War. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 04:35:32 am »

just a question... during a siege, when you asked the enemy to surrender, did they ever accept?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 05:51:48 am »

just a question... during a siege, when you asked the enemy to surrender, did they ever accept?
Never seen it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:59:20 am »

Completely agree, it may be a good buy when the price goes down but right now it doesn't campare to Medieval 2 nor Rome. If you reall need some gunpowder action, try th Napoleonic: Total War 2 Mod for Rome Total War. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Huh. That looks good. have you tried it? What's it like? I'm currently playing the 4th age. It's really good actually, as long as you can take control of enough areas quickly enough as Gondor, lest you go under and lose buckets of money.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 08:46:36 am »

Huh. That looks good. have you tried it? What's it like? I'm currently playing the 4th age. It's really good actually, as long as you can take control of enough areas quickly enough as Gondor, lest you go under and lose buckets of money.

I've never been able to play 4th age.  You always drop into massive debt in a couple of turns.  It's interesting how these nations which have lasted for hundreds if not thousands of years Have apparently done so with a constantly crashing economy,
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:11:08 am »

I've never been able to play 4th age.  You always drop into massive debt in a couple of turns.  It's interesting how these nations which have lasted for hundreds if not thousands of years Have apparently done so with a constantly crashing economy,

I  may not play on VH/VH but I have no problems ever in third age with economy.

Then again I have been playing Total war for BLOODY AGES so I may have picked up on something along the way.

Early gondor campaign, getting about 5k a turn with 1 half stack army I'm using to gain lands and one nearly full stack I'm using to secure a city against Mordor invasion.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:13:55 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:53 am »

Then again I have been playing Total war for BLOODY AGES so I may have picked up on something along the way.

Early gondor campaign, getting about 5k a turn with 1 half stack army I'm using to gain lands and one nearly full stack I'm using to secure a city against Mordor invasion.

3rd age?  Are you talking about the Rome mod or the Medieval 2 mod?  I'm talking about the Rome mod, 4th Age Total War.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »

3rd age?  Are you talking about the Rome mod or the Medieval 2 mod?  I'm talking about the Rome mod, 4th Age Total War.

What I did for the 4th age was immediately set all taxes to very high, disband any units I didn't need and pillage and burn that town east of Osgiliath. The result was immediate, I started to make over 1000 bucks a turn for about fifteen or so turns, until I built up my army more and moved into Mordor. Basically, you need to go on the warpath as soon as possible. Each town you take gives you maybe twenty or so turns in which to take another and after a while you stabilize. Also, I own the sea. That helps too.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 06:24:38 pm »

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=654

Third Age Total war for M2:TW.

Though I also play stainless steel, a bit and my baby Europa Barbarorum for RTW.

Hehe if you have financial troubles in m2:TW mods try almost any faction except Romani in EB, 90% of them start with a -5k a turn debt.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4