Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Total War mods  (Read 8291 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Total War mods
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:43:54 am »

I've been searching desperately for videos of sieges in Empire, because I can only play Rome on my pitiful laptop, and all I get is fort sieges, which whilst okay, aren't epic. Is this all there is? Have they scrapped city sieges from Empire? Those were, and still are, my favorite places to fight. Epic city sieges never ever bore me. But I can't find any city siege videos of Empire. Anyone have any? Or know any? Or can simply confirm that there are city siege battles in Empire?

EDIT: This thread is now about total war mods.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:55:09 am by Jackrabbit »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Empire: Total War, Siege battles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:22:06 am »

Short Answer: There is none like Rome:Total War.

Long Answer: Instead of walls, you build a ring of forts around the city.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:28:50 am »

Err... hmm...

Siege battles in Empire are practically nonexistant. The times you actually get to defend a fort make you want to puke from the horrible AI pathfinding and aiming issues. So it's not actually that interesting.

The game is good, but sieges are not one of its highlights.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:43:21 am »

I found the AI in Medieval2TW to be worst, the AI literally walked past my city plaze several times.

The AI + pathfinding and aiming issues are the worst flaws in all total war games
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:04:30 am »

God dammit. I love sieges in Rome: Total War.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:32:35 am »

in empire: total war, city sieges are like fort sieges, just that the fort is bigger. and that is all.

when you defend, you can laugh at invaders walking under you fort's walls before finally trying to climb up on the other side.... after you had fun shooting at them.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:09 am »

City sieges are out, there's just a little more (completely useless) garrisonable buildings then normal. Fort sieges are contests about who's troops glitch out the first while the opposing side waits the battle out or walks to the square unopposed. Siege weapons are out, every infantry unit is now equipped with grappling hooks that allow them to scale any part of a fort they want. Walls can be demolished with cannons but it doesn't make any difference as climbing over the rubble takes exactly the same time as scaling the walls and sometimes your troops ignore that and just throw their grappling hooks into the air, scale an invisible slope and use the sky as platform. The content of forts has been downgraded to consists of 2 garrisonable buildings, both of which offer absolutely 0 extra defense as even though they can fit 160 men each, only 10 of them will ever fire. They won't rotate to reload, they just stand there untill they die and then one of the 150 idiots who have been doing nothing replaces them. They also collapse when a cannoneer sneezes at them, instantly killing everything inside.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:00:28 pm »

Sounds like a job for a patch.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »

Sounds like a job for a patch.

There's been two, not much has change.  :-\
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:58:25 am »

Yeah even mods have done little to help, you are not missing much frankly. Empire is underwelming in general IMO, but the 'sieges' are unforgivable on many levels, poor AI is just one aspect. I hope the expansion, if and when it comes, will do something to make battles and sieges fun..I think the basic Total War engine/rule system works much better with low tech civs, I pray the company goes back and remakes Shogun or Rome for their next project.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:24:26 pm »

Plus, the unit diversity is crap. :(
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »

I don't get why everyone spams line infantry though. Riflemen and irregulars combined with a good cavalry force ftw! ( I love the maratha cavalry. )

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »

I don't get why everyone spams line infantry though. Riflemen and irregulars combined with a good cavalry force ftw! ( I love the maratha cavalry. )

I personally spam cannons and grenadiers. I just never use cavalry since they pathfinding for them is more trouble then they're worth. Plus have you ever tried to hold a star fort garrisoned with mostly cavalry? It's like trying to direct a hoard of cracked out monkeys.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 08:44:49 pm »

I personally spam cannons and grenadiers. I just never use cavalry since they pathfinding for them is more trouble then they're worth. Plus have you ever tried to hold a star fort garrisoned with mostly cavalry? It's like trying to direct a hoard of cracked out monkeys.
True.
Also, I found a thing to unlock most factions! It's a lot more fun starting out with a 1 province micronation ( I'm Savoy and I just defeated Genoa in the closest battle after, after which I made their last province, an island, my protectorate ).

http://www.2shared.com/file/5031762/3bd7dd1a/unlock_factions.html
click on the Save file to your PC: click here at the bottom of the screen.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 08:50:35 pm »

I'm playing a campaign with the Knights of St. John in Malta. Quite difficult! I just took over the middle barbary state and currently attacking the one closest to the Ottoman Empire. Do you guys name your units? I tend to, but with names of where they are stationed for inexperienced unit and when they get experienced I name them after where they got their experience. (I.e. 1st Afrika Korp.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4