Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19831 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:14 pm »

I don't think constructions will be destroyed by caveins, ever. A natural rock floor may appear on top of a wall, though. This is a desirable effect as the result is engraveable.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:44 pm »

Quote from: wiki
  Results of a cave-in

* Any creature caught under the falling material is crushed and killed.
    * Any item caught under falling natural walls is destroyed completely. Natural floors and constructed walls and floors do not destroy items.v0.28.181.40d
    * Anything standing on the area that caves in falls and may be wounded. The fall victim has a chance of being unable to walk away, somewhat proportional to the distance fallen but not set in stone. No pun intended.
    * A large amount of dust is generated. Any creature caught by the dust from the collapse is knocked unconscious and thrown a few tiles, which may cause them to fall off a narrow bridge fifty z-levels above the ground.
    * All buildings and constructions under and above the falling area are destroyed *
    * Natural terrain will remain intact during the cave-in; the only effect is they are revealed.
    * Constructions will deconstruct when they collide with solid terrain.
    * Any terrain crashes through multiple floors, and stops only upon reaching solid ground, where natural terrain piles up and constructions deconstruct.
    * Mined stairs and ramps will settle like unmined rock; Stairs down that fall onto previously empty floors will reveal the level below. If there's rock or floor above them, it'll cover the stairs.
    * Anything falling into a flow (like water) sinks to the bottom. Therefore, it is not a good idea to punch a skylight into your meeting area if you forgot that e.g. your gem pile was directly below and you had a magma tube three Z levels afterward... you get the idea.
    * If your dwarves, animals, items, or even the seven simultaneous goblin sieges at your door are unfortunate enough to be caught in a cave-in flow (which, by the way, travels up Z levels quite often) they will be pushed around and likely sucked into a lower level.

* This can be used to an advantage (i.e. drop a wooden floor such that the cave-in flow will push the invaders into your magma moat).

I believe what it means by above is that anything built on the part that caves in will be destroyed.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »

If you build a tower out of nothing but constructions, then drop the entirety of said tower 1 z-level, there will be nothing left but dust and smoke.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »

If you build a tower out of nothing but constructions, then drop the entirety of said tower 1 z-level, there will be nothing left but dust and smoke.
And the materials used to build the tower.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2009, 11:13:00 pm »

For the glass tower, you still need one side as a wall or you can't build a floor.  Just walk to that side and deconstruct/dig.  If you alternate which side has the wall you might still get the scare factor from above.

Stairs can support floors.
But then the goblins would just walk down the stairs. 
Firstly, the wall can be in the middle of the tower. 

Secondly, you can hatch stairs to prevent creatures traveling between levels.  Or simply seal the creatures in their own glass window rooms along the edge. 

The creature + glass window is a very good idea.  I'm just trying to see if it's possible to make the top z-level invulnerable. 

If no one knows the answers to what can be built there, I'll go do my own tests. 

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:07 am »

yeah I was aware the falling object gets destroyed but what concerns me is what it hits. If it hits a 'floor' with no wall below it it will keep going through. I wasn't sure if a constructed wall acted like this or as a stop for the collapse. my tests seem to show collapse so hopefully my vault will be protected from cave ins.

This vault should be interesting. I feel like it's going to be more work for me to construct than anything but we'll see. The location I chose for this has 3+ z-levels of aquifer so I have my hands full getting everything I need constructed around it properly.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2009, 01:51:59 am »

For the glass tower, you still need one side as a wall or you can't build a floor.  Just walk to that side and deconstruct/dig.  If you alternate which side has the wall you might still get the scare factor from above.

Stairs can support floors.
But then the goblins would just walk down the stairs. 
Firstly, the wall can be in the middle of the tower. 

Secondly, you can hatch stairs to prevent creatures traveling between levels.  Or simply seal the creatures in their own glass window rooms along the edge. 

The creature + glass window is a very good idea.  I'm just trying to see if it's possible to make the top z-level invulnerable. 

If no one knows the answers to what can be built there, I'll go do my own tests. 
No, they could get lucky and have several levels of goblins hiding behind the support pillar.
Using stairs will work though because we can place locked hatches over them.

-

Suspending the tower over a bottomless pit would prevent the creation of cast walls. Suspending it without ruining the lowest floor's design seems to be an issue but since it was originally going to be on flat ground anyway you only need most of it over the pit- the corner could be normal ground with so little room for lava that creating obsidian there accomplishes nothing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2009, 03:57:15 am »

Starting work on a nasty Full Deconstruction vault.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2009, 05:15:19 am »

You can obsidian cast it.  It just needs both magma and water pumps to be on at the same time.  As long as the obsidian appears next to your tower or the edge of the pit, it will "stick".  You'll get a massive number of cave-ins and it'll result in a strange funnel shaped bottom but whatever'll get you in...

#############################################

#####
#G#G#
##P##
#G#G#
#####

# - Window
P - Wall
G - Scary creature of choice

Simply wall in the creatures into the edge via windows and viola!  no more wandering creatures. 

###################################################

Well, I'd be damned.  Looks like it IS possible to make the impregnable tower. 

You CAN place windows on the top floor. 

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:24 am »

I think I know of another way to make an unreachable vault... I will try to make it, but if i get bored, or if I fail, I will post what my idea was.

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:37 am »

I am going to give the first one a go but I'd like to stick to the same rules as the OP. Just wondered what counts as an exploit, does using fortifications in the edges of maps for drainage count? How about using bridges to atom smash things?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:26 am »

How about using bridges to atom smash things?

Again, I don't see how that would help.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2009, 08:36:11 am »

Again, I don't see how that would help.

If I can use bridges in this way I can bypass the need to use pumps to get to the statue garden.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:55 am »

If I can use bridges in this way I can bypass the need to use pumps to get to the statue garden.

Oh yeah. I forgot that they destroy water.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2009, 05:51:28 pm »

From Mandaril: Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân [Full Deconstruction]
Victory!
Number of Urists Killed: 0
Number of Seasons Taken: 1.5
Number of Reclamations: 1
About the Fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't sure if it would count as an exploit but I carved fortifications on the edges of the map and used it to drain the water. I wanted to see how quickly I could get in so I broke in through the ceiling also.

This is the first time I've used the DFMA so apologies if I did anything wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12