Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19828 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »

I have a full-deconstruction vault I'm working on that I hope to be finished with soon. Good thing I have a new computer, or else relocating this magma pipe would take forever...
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 01:14:57 am »

Mkay... since apparently I have a retarded DF, I'm just gonna upload the whole expletive thing.

Here is all you need before you send your dwarves to your doom in an impenetrable vault; or possibly make me look like an idiot.

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »

Mkay... since apparently I have a retarded DF, I'm just gonna upload the whole expletive thing.

Here is all you need before you send your dwarves to your doom in an impenetrable vault; or possibly make me look like an idiot.
It's not retarded, it just didn't get along with the 40d vanilla. I also hope you make me lose dwarves as it'll make it all more interesting.  ;D

To reiterate to everyone, please make sure to DL the v0.28.181.40d vanilla DF without any mods installed prior to making your Vault.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 03:56:26 am »

I really like this idea and would love to try out the Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân myself, is there a save knocking about?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 04:29:06 am »

Nice to see that my vault wasn't a straight "just dig in" -job :)

I really like this idea and would love to try out the Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân myself, is there a save knocking about?

Yes, sorry. I completely forgot about that. Here should be a link to the file I sent to Dakira.

http://www.filefront.com/14155677/region1.zip

That map is on an unmodded latest release version of the game (v0.28.181.40d, 6.9 MB, posted September 6, 2008).

I'll update this to my original post about that place.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:44:52 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 10:47:14 am »

I have a question about the Impenetrable Vault challenge. Would you be willing to allow for smoothed walls to be considered 'off limits' for deconstruction/digging. Having to encase a vault in constructed walls to prevent a 'dig in' would be unnecessarily time consuming.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:48:51 am by Slogo »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:04 am »

Won't they stop building the floors a few tiles out from the windows?
Yeah, but a tower around the outside tower then using pump projection of liquids to cause obsidian falls over the area where the invisible bridges are, should neatly deconstruct/melt them.  If not, an obsidian tower from bottom z-level to the top z-level could easily be smelted and the roof accessed anyway. 

######################################################

It gets harder with no magma.  You need to bridge-a-pult military dwarves and construction supplies across the 10-tile gap that the invis-a-bridge generates on the top level.  I'm estimating kill numbers at... say 50?  at a conservative estimate.  Probably nearer 100. 

######################################################

Could someone look at what can be built at the top z-level?  In particular, things that block dwarves and arrows:

I know walls can't... but:
Windows (IIRC no, but maybe...)
Raising Bridges (and retracting ones too for that matter)
Statues?
"natural" obsidian walls?

If raising bridges can be created at the top z-level, then I guess I'll have to concede and say it's possible to make an impregnable tower if the map has no infinite magma source. 

With magma, I see no way a prospective tower-cracker can't simply encase the entire tower in obsidian then walk across to the top level and drill down. 

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 11:30:11 am »

I would guess (just a guess) that windows could be built at the top z-level since they're an item like a bed more so than a construction like a wall.

Otherwise Raising bridges or statues would probably be your best bet.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:13 pm »

For the glass tower, you still need one side as a wall or you can't build a floor.  Just walk to that side and deconstruct/dig.  If you alternate which side has the wall you might still get the scare factor from above.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »

Just use 2x1 for the interior of the tower and have the monster in one spot (well free to wander after the cages are opened) and a support in the 2nd spot.

I think the hardest part of the tower might be getting the creatures. Since invasion is off you can't use goblins and skeletal creatures have building destroyer. So you're going to need to gather up a lot of non-animal creatures I think.

If I'm not mistaken if you use animal creatures you could set your civilians to have hunting enabled and they'd approach without being scared?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:08:49 pm by Slogo »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 02:53:11 pm »

For the glass tower, you still need one side as a wall or you can't build a floor.  Just walk to that side and deconstruct/dig.  If you alternate which side has the wall you might still get the scare factor from above.

Stairs can support floors.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 04:01:48 pm »

Stairs can support floors.
But then the goblins would just walk down the stairs. 

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 05:46:21 pm »

I have a question about the Impenetrable Vault challenge. Would you be willing to allow for smoothed walls to be considered 'off limits' for deconstruction/digging. Having to encase a vault in constructed walls to prevent a 'dig in' would be unnecessarily time consuming.
You make a good point. For now I will treat all smoothed walls and floors as constructions.

Also Sensei, I don't know what's going on with the files but the DF folder isn't working either. I've tried adjusting files and placing the save into other DF versions but I'm coming up with errors every time.  :( I really wanted to see what you had built but it's not working out.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 05:55:32 pm »

Cool, I may just end up using constructed walls anyways I'm running some tests on cave ins now. I would hate for you to get by everything by staging a collapse.

But either way I got some pretty good ideas coming up that involve the death of many many dwarves (both in construction and in cracking).

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 06:18:01 pm »

Sorry for the double post but as a vault related question... if a constructed wall collapses onto a constructed wall will it cause it to be destroyed? What if a natural wall collapses onto a constructed wall? What about 10 z-levels of contructed walls?

I just want to make sure I don't allow for someone to circumvent all of my clever vault challenges.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12