Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477374 times)

Charlatan

• Bay Watcher
  • you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2235 on: January 21, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »

Crime is the backbone of the Freedom City economy.

Also, in case you guys did not know, we are having the first annual Freedom City Regatta, a boat race. First prize: probably a yacht, but not sure yet. Only runabouts allowed. Hit me up in the game if you are interested.
when all you have is a knife, everything looks like an old person

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:02 pm »

I got my ass handed to me by the karnivores. I think I need better bullet soak armor. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:56:39 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2237 on: January 22, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »

Yeah, they can still take me down, iron liver is basically the only reason I stand a chance.  Plus I've gotten my HP up to 50 by buying endocrine boosters whenever I pass the store in corpclave.   Being able to heal 6-12 every tick when drunk makes even bullets less scary.  Plus, chugging a plastic bottle of gin in combat is good for a full heal.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2238 on: January 22, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »

Man, sucks this is multiplayer. That pretty much ruins it. It's an interesting world/idea but it since it's multiplayer it just becomes a great big rape fest to anyone who tried to get into it. That and the god awful impenetrable MUD system doesn't help. I tried to play this a while ago and after finally learning the 700 hundred commands needed to do anything and navigating through the hundreds of lines of text that pop up every 3 seconds (along with constant nagging and ads from other people) I wandered into the world and was promptly stabbed then raped. 

There's an interesting game in there somewhere but I can't be assed to remember a billion commands (most of which don't follow the general text adventure format) as well as fend off the unending hordes of assholes that populate these sorts of things. Maybe if this was single player I could tolerate it, but the combination is horrifically annoying.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:31:14 pm by piecewise »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Just started out, and have a great WHORE story:

Well, some guy contacts me and asks if I want to join a corp.  Of course I do, so I ask a bit more.  Then, I ask which corp he's recruiting for, and says WHORE.  I politely ignore him from then on...

About an hour later, this same person sets off a bomb in Anyport, while several players are inside...

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2240 on: January 22, 2010, 06:12:26 pm »

About an hour later, this same person sets off a bomb in Anyport, while several players are inside...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And @piecewise, this is the first MUD/MOO I've played for more than about minute and a half and have found it pretty intuitive.  I'd say there are a few dozen commands that you actually need to learn (more game concepts, than anything) to play efficiently, beyond that you can examine anything to find out what command is needed to do something specific if the obvious commands don't work.  There are basically only a handful of people you really need to worry about fucking with you unprovoked, unless you are outright idiotic on chatnet... then I'm all about joining the gang-rape as well.  Which reminds me, I haven't seen zach_tgm on in awhile.

But yeah if occasionally dying through means beyond your control, whether through murder or hilarity, bothers you, it isn't the game for you (for reference sake, I've been player-related killed under ten times in over a month of playing).  I wouldn't really see the point of this being single-player, since interaction in the absurd environment is basically the biggest draw of the game.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:14:14 pm by jashman »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2241 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And @piecewise, this is the first MUD/MOO I've played for more than about minute and a half and have found it pretty intuitive.  I'd say there are a few dozen commands that you actually need to learn (more game concepts, than anything) to play efficiently, beyond that you can examine anything to find out what command is needed to do something specific if the obvious commands don't work.  There are basically only a handful of people you really need to worry about fucking with you unprovoked, unless you are outright idiotic on chatnet... then I'm all about joining the gang-rape as well.  Which reminds me, I haven't seen zach_tgm on in awhile.

But yeah if occasionally dying through means beyond your control, whether through murder or hilarity, bothers you, it isn't the game for you (for reference sake, I've been player-related killed under ten times in over a month of playing).  I wouldn't really see the point of this being single-player, since interaction in the absurd environment is basically the biggest draw of the game.

I'm getting rather pissed off at this thing, considering it seems like either the FAQs are outdated or I'm doing something very wrong

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 22, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »

Yes, the parser has some problems with spaces. Try only using part of the item you are trying to exam, like donation or bin. Or, if you insist on using the full name, put it in quotes. "donation bin". Some things like recipes you have to do that with, especially when buying from the bookstore.

But yeah, really the only people to watch out for are Lorde_Doome, GRU members, and maybe a few others. Almost everyone else is actually fairly helpful, and even if you get killed and they rob you will probably give you your stuff back if you do something amusing for them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 22, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

Just be cool with everyone and you'll really have no problem. If people kill you/judge you to be 'an scrubbe' and take your text items, that's just your chance to show them that you're chill. And yeah, for the donation bin thing, use 'l bin' or 'l donation' instead of the whole object name.

Charlatan

• Bay Watcher
  • you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »

I tried to play this a while ago and after finally learning the 700 hundred commands needed to do anything and navigating through the hundreds of lines of text that pop up every 3 seconds (along with constant nagging and ads from other people) I wandered into the world and was promptly stabbed then raped.

A Dwarf Fortress guy is complaining about the game being confusing and impenetrable?

Try perusing the wiki at hellmoo.org, joining a corp with some of your B12 friends, etc. After you learn the basic mechanics it's really a surprisingly interesting game with some depth. If you have a problem being stabbed and raped, however, it's just going to make you cry.
when all you have is a knife, everything looks like an old person

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2245 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:43 am »

I tried to play this a while ago and after finally learning the 700 hundred commands needed to do anything and navigating through the hundreds of lines of text that pop up every 3 seconds (along with constant nagging and ads from other people) I wandered into the world and was promptly stabbed then raped.

A Dwarf Fortress guy is complaining about the game being confusing and impenetrable?

Try perusing the wiki at hellmoo.org, joining a corp with some of your B12 friends, etc. After you learn the basic mechanics it's really a surprisingly interesting game with some depth. If you have a problem being stabbed and raped, however, it's just going to make you cry.

I learned DF pretty much on my own, only looked at the wiki about 3 times and this thing still gives me problems. I have no problem getting killed, unless of course it wastes hours of my time, but you want a run down of what happened as I played just a few minutes ago?

Appear in orphanage
Walk up stairs
get beaten to death by a random kid
respawn
walk up stairs
walk into dining room
The_nacho screams at me for money then shoots me
respawn
Nacho walks in and shoots me again
respawn
random kid stabs me

I have no problem with a learning curve, in fact I like one because it means the game has a lot of depth, but I'd like to be able to walk 3 feet before being killed over and over and over again. This is why I said it would be better single player, like DF adventure mode. The combination of rampant assholes and real time text fighting means that I have on more then one occasion checked the wiki for a command and in that time been shot to death.  I really want to try and get into it but god damn if it doesn't seem to be trying to keep me out. 

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 23, 2010, 01:22:13 am »

If Nacho killed you twice so quickly, that may be a problem. Consult "help grief". I'm not sure if those rules apply to orphans, but once you grow up, your free from major camping for a bit.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2247 on: January 23, 2010, 01:31:39 am »

Yeah, I knew the orphanage had to be a major camping spot for some reason (it's like that in all mmos) but honestly It just doesn't seem worth it. DF at least you have some feeling of accomplishment but this just seems like stat grinding in a shocking environment. Is there really anything to do besides murder and loot?  I mean, I really like this sort of idea of allowing you to do anything, from bomb houses to rape bricks, but the format just seems so utterly broken and ill advised. I mean, real time text combat? I've never seen something like that. Except sort of in typing of the dead.

It really does make me wish this was single player, or that there was something else like it out there. This with a few bits of DF adventure (namely minor visualization, key pad movement and "turns") would be perfect.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:41:37 am by piecewise »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 23, 2010, 01:39:56 am »

Pillage, rape, plunder, craft, steal, fly, repossession, hack, rob.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2249 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:05 am »

Pillage, rape, plunder, craft, steal, fly, repossession, hack, rob.
so basically Loot, attack, loot, make things for others to loot, loot, fly, loot, attack and loot?

I'm stuck between my love of chaos and brutality and my hate of player run organizations, which seem like a necessity to survive. So much awesome and yet so much utter idiocy in design.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:04:54 am by piecewise »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 311