Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Unusual Artifacts  (Read 8879 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Artifacts
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »

A while ago, when I had just started playing DF, I got a Turtle bone Bed. Its name was "The Altar of Whoring." I nearly burst my lungs laughing.

Could kick myself for not screening it. I wasn't a member of this forum at that time, so I really had no one to share it with.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:29 pm »

I've only gotten one artifact so far: An Emerald Floodgate.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 12:07:08 am »

to the guy who said the material does not matter with artifact weapons - it does. it does a lot.

the artifact bonus damage is added to whatever the original material damage is

(Where are you getting this?  Would you care to explain what you think you mean by "artifact bonus damage", please?  (Because it ain't from anything I've ever seen.)

If you have any hard evidence to back this up (i.e., not just "casual observation", but something from the game code or files), it will be the first this community has presented publicly.

Afaik, no one said "it didn't matter" - they (I included) said "we just don't know if it adds, or how".)

How many times do you need to nest your post? That was a bit ridiculous and unnecessary.

As to where the information is from, likely he got it from the Wiki article on artifacts which says:

"Artifact armour and weapons have a high damage/protection modifier, at least greater than a similar iron item of basic quality, though even steel artifacts will not surpass basic quality adamantine items. Note that the material of a crossbow, artifact or not, only improves its damage in melee, while the quality of construction improves both melee damage and ranged accuracy."

AFAIK there is no 'hard evidence' as we cannot currently by any method actually measure how much damage is done. All we know is shit dies fast whether its an artifact wooden hammer or an artifact adamantine hammer.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 11:03:29 am »

Or just a *superior iron weapon*.  Shit dies fast no matter what.  It's that "overkill" thing you've seen mentioned so many times in this context.

How many times do you need to nest your post? That was a bit ridiculous and unnecessary.

(Whenever I'm addressing either just a specific part of a post, or a post that is not in the immediate chain of conversation.  And then just the part that matters to my response, so others can follow the exact context of that response.

Is that so new or confusing? You having a bad day, or what?)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:06:37 am by Albedo »

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:15 am »

I got a Turtle bone Bed. Its name was "The Altar of Whoring."

Raviaric cancels Browse Forum: Interrupted by Artifact.
Raviaric has suffocated to death.

And now, to stay on topic. My first artifact was a Jadeclobbers, a Claystone bracelet. I can't remember the specifics, but it had a picture of itself on it. It was a useless bracelet, but I still got a legendary out of it. (A miner got the mood, too. :D)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:20 pm »

I got a poopy legendary wooden bracelet and a marble millstone. In my last fortress,my dwarves kept making legendary gloves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »

Some time ago I was playing with the Legendary Lands mod, and my armoursmith got himself into a mood. Now, for those who don't know, one of the metals Legendary Lands adds to the game is celestrium, which has a base value of 300, which is pretty high, and no damage/block perc value, so 50% effectiveness. I've got three bars of said celestrium. The dwarf was working at his forge at the time. What does he do? Walks over to the smelter, gets one, two, three bars. Starts constructing.

Comes out with a gauntlet worth 180,000,000. A GAUNTLET. As far as I can remember, it was encrusted with images of itself and two other artifacts, both of them querns. Why anyone would bother encrusting a priceless peice of armour with images of bits of smoothed phyllite - albeit well-smoothed phyllite - I don't know. How could the dwarfs even tell them apart? Eh? And what's going to be done with the gauntlet? It's so expensive that I'm probably going to get seiged in the next five minutes, and for all I know the first dwarf who picks it up will probably be able to win the battle purely by holding the thing in front of his face.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:08:37 pm by 3 »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 06:27:20 pm »

Doesn't Adamantine have a value of 300? So it was worth the same as it would have been had it been made of Adamantine, but had only 10% of the defense value?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 06:36:38 pm »

Smelted adamantine... yeah, you're right. Damn. Even if it was made out of adamantine, it'd still be pretty useless.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »

Smelted adamantine... yeah, you're right. Damn. Even if it was made out of adamantine, it'd still be pretty useless.

Actually it would be quite awesome; if it was made of Adamantine then even a Gauntlet gets a massive damage resistance.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »

Obviously, but so long as an enemy didn't hit your hand it'd be useless.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 08:13:49 pm »

In my megatower fort I got a turtle bone trap, a fox bone mace, and a fox bone cap. In my most recent fort I've gotten a hoary marmot leather thong ( :o) and a lignite crown with a picture of the thong on it, and it menaces with spikes of clear glass!

Weirdest/most awesome ever though has to be the raw adamantine quern I got shortly after a blind dragon with a bruised spine picked a fight with the humans on my trade depot. It menaced with spikes of raw dragon leather and had decorations in platinum and elf bone.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:37 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd call this an unusual artifact per se... It's pretty standard as an artifact. However, it is named:

And the dwarf who made it:

She named the artifact after herself. That's a new one.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd call this an unusual artifact per se... It's pretty standard as an artifact. However, it is named:

And the dwarf who made it:

She named the artifact after herself. That's a new one.

That's different.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:10 am »

one of my best artifects are named after the maker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8