Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15389 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »

Also, I just ran into a Hitchhiker's Guide reference. I laughed so hard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 12:08:28 am »

Always save before traveling. There's a deadly random encounter that inflicts upon you a deadly effect.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2009, 06:07:12 am »

Are you kidding me? That encounter gives you the best meat-shield ever.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:00 am »

Are you kidding me? That encounter gives you the best meat-shield ever.

How do you suppose one can deal with the bad effects? I can't imagine it unless playing a pacifist. If you fire a strong weapon with those effects you are very likely to kill yourself (or, lose half your hit points and the enemies finish you on their turns).

Plus the thing's coded with a cowardly AI - it runs away in battles. How can it shield you?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:08 am »

Eh, I always used luck as my dump stat, and I got along just fine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

Eh, I always used luck as my dump stat, and I got along just fine.

No way... I dare not to try luck under 5. I tried Jinxed and low luck before, and the amount of critical failures is very difficult to cope with. Like ammo exploding dealing heavy damage plus losing all ammo I have left in the chamber.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 09:27:05 pm »

Actually, it didn't summon them. They used to be a pair of missiles.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2009, 01:06:05 pm »

So I'm walking around New Reno. I walk into this big, one story house. Talk to some folks. I find out that the place is the home of some mob family. Now, I'm nearly broke. I don't have much in the way of ammo or money or stimpacks or pretty much anything. So I think to myself: "Let's ask the boss for a job."

So I talk to his guard, because I'm not allowed to go in and talk to the guy. After passing a speech check, he says "Okay, you can go in. But watch it. The boss is in a pissy mood." So I go in. The mob boss pulls a gun out and shoots me in the face.

Two hours of real life time later, I leave new reno a smoking crater, loaded to the gills with ammunition and caps. Also, I am covered in surtures and stimpack puncture marks. Today was a good day, on reflection.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2009, 07:59:17 pm »

So I'm walking around New Reno. I walk into this big, one story house. Talk to some folks. I find out that the place is the home of some mob family. Now, I'm nearly broke. I don't have much in the way of ammo or money or stimpacks or pretty much anything. So I think to myself: "Let's ask the boss for a job."

So I talk to his guard, because I'm not allowed to go in and talk to the guy. After passing a speech check, he says "Okay, you can go in. But watch it. The boss is in a pissy mood." So I go in. The mob boss pulls a gun out and shoots me in the face.

Two hours of real life time later, I leave new reno a smoking crater, loaded to the gills with ammunition and caps. Also, I am covered in surtures and stimpack puncture marks. Today was a good day, on reflection.

The New Reno mobsters are a good source of money and experience. You can do all quests except the last one for all of them, then wipe two of them off the face of the planet. Then you do the last quest for the remaining one.

If you are the boxing champ, you will get much better reactions from them. You are famous, tough and mean, and they like that.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2009, 09:15:42 pm »

I downloaded the unofficial patch. Everything is much harder now. Hee!

Although I'm murdering everything in a single shot thanks to my ludicrous crit rate.

EDIT:

Spoiler: About the final boss (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:40:49 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:59 am »

I've been thinking about getting a fallout game, but I have to ask, where could you buy them? I haven't seen anything but Fallout 3 anywhere, and I figure I should try playing the other fallouts first. So, where could I get a copy, by chance?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2009, 11:45:52 am »

Try bargain bins at vg shops in your local mall. That's where I got my copies of Fallout Tactics and Fallout 2.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2009, 11:55:21 am »

I've been thinking about getting a fallout game, but I have to ask, where could you buy them? I haven't seen anything but Fallout 3 anywhere, and I figure I should try playing the other fallouts first. So, where could I get a copy, by chance?

GoG

Digital downloads.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]