Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 9187 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:40 am »

there is NO way you can make unicorns serious

I don't know man, the unicorns in Overlord were pretty hardcore, slaying dwarves left and right

In DF, they hunt the elves.
They are the enemy of an enemy for the dwarves!

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:04 am »

Would'nt that heal enimies instead of hurting them?

depends on what legend you read about them, some say that unicorns can heal with the horn, but some also say that they are really just huge dicks that use the horn to spear anything that attacks them

i even read a series of fiction books that say the unicorns can heal people, but they have to pierce the heart with the tip of the horn first for it to work. the main enemy of the series was a girl who had that happen, but when the horn was in her, the unicorn was killed by a hunter and the tip of the horn was broken off in her heart. so she constantly is getting stabbed and gets waves of huge pain, but the horn keeps healing its own wound. side effects are that she is immortal though she wants all unicorns in the world destroyed now as revenge

Could you post the title?

already did. its at the top of page 2

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 10:40:53 am »

I don't know man, the unicorns in Overlord were pretty hardcore, slaying dwarves left and right

Enemy of my enemy is my dinner?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »

Do unicorns have to be herbivores?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

Somewhere, I actually did hear about the concept of carnivorous unicorns, but I'm afraid I forgot the source. Might be an interesting addition to the evil biomes.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »

I remember having nightmares about unicorns. *shdder*
Though the concept of "Dark Unicorns" for evil biomes is interesting, would their horns be horribly poisonous?
Urist, woodcutter, cancels fell tree: being eaten by unicorn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 03:29:45 pm »

Naw no Evil Unicorns

If we need an Evil Horse-like creature then lets just stick to Nightmares

Giant Horses that Breathe Fire.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 03:40:24 pm »

They're also an enemy of the dwarves.

The unicorns we have are evil enough. They struck down poor Cilob who was just doing his job: killing them then bringing the corpses back for food and leather.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 06:01:12 pm »

They're also an enemy of the dwarves.

The unicorns we have are evil enough. They struck down poor Cilob who was just doing his job: killing them then bringing the corpses back for food and leather.

Well, there *is* an inherent element of risk in hunting a creature with a very potent natural weapon that it can use in self-defense.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2009, 06:43:46 am »

Would'nt that heal enimies instead of hurting them?

depends on what legend you read about them, some say that unicorns can heal with the horn, but some also say that they are really just huge dicks that use the horn to spear anything that attacks them

i even read a series of fiction books that say the unicorns can heal people, but they have to pierce the heart with the tip of the horn first for it to work. the main enemy of the series was a girl who had that happen, but when the horn was in her, the unicorn was killed by a hunter and the tip of the horn was broken off in her heart. so she constantly is getting stabbed and gets waves of huge pain, but the horn keeps healing its own wound. side effects are that she is immortal though she wants all unicorns in the world destroyed now as revenge

Could you post the title?

already did. its at the top of page 2

Didn't see that, thanks.

I like the idea of evil unicorns, or maybe something similar but evil and are enemies with unicorns.
...bi- or tri- something?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:53 am »

Might be an interesting addition to the evil biomes.

Who said anything about evil biomes?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2009, 10:48:42 am »

Well, if you want an idea of what the unicorns might look like...here's an animal that might be responsible for the legends of the zhi, or the chinese unicorn.

But good biomes...that's not generally where you expect to find things that make you scream "OHGODIT'SEATINGMYFACE! GETITOFFGETIFOFFFFFFF!". That's for evil/lovecraftian biomes.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2009, 02:03:51 pm »

Lovecraftian biome?

Yeah, having a creature that makes all dwarves insane on sight would actually be a pretty FUN idea...

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 04:09:35 pm »

Lovecraftian biome?

Yeah, having a creature that makes all dwarves insane on sight would actually be a pretty FUN idea...
Actually, that gives an idea for a variation on HFS.  The three present HFS monster species, I understand, are merely just very strong in combat (and resistant to many of the means DF players use to dispose of annoyances without combat).  Imagine if there was a fourth kind of HFS, which had only kobold-level combat stats, but drove dwarves berserk on sight.

Unless traps were allowed to work on it, the only way to fight it would be to send your military dwarves one at a time, and hope that when the dwarf inevitably goes nuts, he randomly targets the demon.  Sending several at a time makes it almost certain that they will badly hurt each other before randomly swiping at the demon.

And if one gets among your civilian dwarves, hilarity ensues because any soldiers you send are going to join the demons in whaling on the civvies.  For even more Fun, make it invisible at first, like a raccoon.

I wouldn't compare [My Little Pony pilot] to a bombing raid on a Smurf village...you mislead me! You vile fiend! HAVE AT YE!

I probably should drop this, but I've found a version of the pilot on YouTube.  It's not in English, but neither is the Smurf commercial.  So you can compare for yourself...

UNICEF bombs the Smurfs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MAYrF1PDks

MLP part 1/3 - the fireworks start at 2:08 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUdE_HIShs

MLP part 2/3 - a different sort of Nightmare Fuel at 1:20 - 2:00 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjztjB5ZgI
(Although I imagine the DF reaction will be "I want one of those bags!"...)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »

Sorry, but they're still not very comparable. The Smurf UNICEF video had more explosions. And death.

They're both dark...and that's...kinda it.

Anyway, make it cause all kinds of insanity: berserk, melancholy, and babbling.

It'll either make your whole fort into blood-thirsty maniacs, emos, or conspiracy theorists. Or a combination of all three.

Oh! And make it cause a fourth kind of insanity that only it can cause!

But what should it be...?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6