Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fight we did, and we died....  (Read 2609 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight or Not to fight
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »

For fun, may i suggest dwarven drop pods? Hatches with dwarves stationed over them , hooked up to levers. Beneath is a kitten. Kitten catches dwarf, breaks the fall. The Moutainhome's finest, reporting for duty! I plan to give this defense a try myself soon.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 08:10:03 pm »

For fun, may i suggest dwarven drop pods? Hatches with dwarves stationed over them , hooked up to levers. Beneath is a kitten. Kitten catches dwarf, breaks the fall. The Moutainhome's finest, reporting for duty! I plan to give this defense a try myself soon.

I can see it now....

Orc 1: Stunties got funny lookin' tunnels, eh?
Orc 2: I's seen dis before, watch out fer da magma!
Orc 1: nah, dey wouldn' do dat, dey gots a kitteh under it.... It is lookin' tasty

Orc 1 goes to nom on the kitty
The hatch drops open and out comes...

Urist McODST : PRAY TO ARMOK FOUL BEAST!!

Urist McODST: JUMP BROTHERS FOR ARMOK, LET THE BLOOD RUN LIKE WATER TODAY!!!

ya.... ill try it on a different fort first... this fort is to valuable... literally, silver EVERYTHING!!! it would cost me to do it.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »

Ok... My Dwarves will not TOUCH the cages to dump the items, they aren't even going to them, or showing up the job "Dump item"
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »

1. are you sure you have a garbage dump?
2. are the cages "outside"? if so you'll have to o->r->o to make the dorfs gather from outside.
3. ????
4. profit fun Fun
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:59 pm »

!! They are outside !! (No thats not on fire!) Man i didnt even think of that.... LOL time to get some nekkd orcs!
I fixed that up for you.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight we did, and we died....
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:39:46 pm »

They came, two groups, all riding Giant wolf spiders which is so unfair, all my champions got wasted and i recruited my civies to fight till the end..... and they are currently in the last stand of my temple to armok.... i dont know if ill reclaim.

Armok got his sacrifice, A sacrifice in dwarf blood. Did he plan it that way? I this god planning something more devious. I think a story is in line after this fort dies :P

Armok's war on the Dwarfs has begun, he wants the blood of them all and is using the orcs to get it!
I fixed that up for you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 05:38:30 am »

Ok, if you really want to fight with melee (after reclaiming) you can use this clever set up I found on another thread (not made by me).  The idea is that you make a large area of outside in this pattern.  If you do this, a sniper will never be able to fire at something more than one square away, which should hopefully negate them.  Orcs are also powerful melee warriors, but worry about that when it comes to it.
X = Wall
_ = Empty space

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X
_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_

And so on.  And remember the quick reference guide for weapons:

Piercing - Usually causes death by getting a stuck in then twisting for pain.  Good against one big enemy that feels pain (megabeast, your character in adventure mode).  Hitting an organ is unlikely, due to stuck ins, but possible.
Slashing - Usually causes death by removing limbs and sometimes throat.  Fairly good all round, although not great against enemies with multiple arms/ legs.
Clubbing - Usually causes death by flinging the opponent away and making them collide with an obstacle, or making a body part collapse.  Not so great against big enemies, as the chance of causing a large enemy to fly away is fairly remote.
Goring - Usually causes death by extreme pain and heavy bleeding.  Good against lots of small, preferably lightly armoured creatures, as a couple of whips can incapacitate them.  Fairs poorly against large enemies, enemies that resist the pain and heavily armoured enemies due to low attack power.
Projectiles - Usually cause death by massive organ damage.  Good against pretty much anything, although slashing may be preferable against forces of nature such as Bronze Collossi and Fire Men due to their apparent lack of need for their internal organs.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 08:18:26 am »

They came, two groups, all riding Giant wolf spiders which is so unfair, all my champions got wasted and i recruited my civies to fight till the end..... and they are currently in the last stand of my temple to armok.... i dont know if ill reclaim.

Armok got his sacrifice, A sacrifice in dwarf blood. Did he plan it that way? I this god planning something more devious. I think a story is in line after this fort dies :P

Armok's war on the Dwarfs has begun, he wants the blood of them all and is using the orcs to get it!
they're actually using the things? Damn, you're lucky, mine only ever arrive on foot.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 11:28:00 am »

Woah what, there are orcs in this game?  I thought it was just humans, elves, and goblins...  I've been away from this game far too long!

And wait a second, when were orcs put in the games?  Are there any other invasions by races that I haven't listed?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 11:32:09 am »

They're from the orc mod. It's a pretty popular one, adds orcs to the game, along with some beasts they can use as mounts.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 11:43:58 am »

The orc mod is popular due to the challenge that the orcs bring, and the potential high reward for taking their stuffsies.  Don't try to take an orc siege head on though, and watch out for Dire Wolves in adventure mode if you install it.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 02:39:30 pm »

I went into my fort as an adventurer and raped them.... was REALLY tough though... Wolf spiders are cheap ass mounts
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:57 pm »

If they use wolf spiders, I would suggest making a row of spike traps to at least kill the mounts before they can close. Never had to deal with them (un)fortunately, so I wouldn't know how effective that is.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »

they avoid traps, my first orc siege had the leader riding one and he walked right on the traps with it and it did nothing, the others were on foot, got em all cuz i removed trapavoid.
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 07:01:13 pm »

Spike traps are activated by levers though-they CAN'T avoid a giant spike shooting up from right under their feet. ;) works wonders for thinning them a bit before they get to you, because even with 5 or so tiles of ten-spike traps with exceptional mechanisms all hooked up to levers, some will probably be able to survive one or so, and get through-and sometimes they're fast enough to get past all of them. The entire squad never survives in one piece, at least, and you would have been able to deal with them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3