Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376034 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #645 on: September 12, 2011, 10:28:02 am »

Okay I REALLY REALLY hope someone answers this. I have posted 3 requests and only 1 one them got done but whatevah! I trust you guys.
So this game was a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy. It was on the NES and I remember it had mind blowing graphics(battle sprites for enemies). IIRC it also was filled with surfer lingo.

This isn't much to go on.  Anything else you can remember?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 12, 2011, 11:43:15 am »

Okay I REALLY REALLY hope someone answers this. I have posted 3 requests and only 1 one them got done but whatevah! I trust you guys.
So this game was a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy. It was on the NES and I remember it had mind blowing graphics(battle sprites for enemies). IIRC it also was filled with surfer lingo.

This isn't much to go on.  Anything else you can remember?

I believe the story involved you looking for your girlfriend which was kidnapped by some evil monster. But then again this describes thousands of games on the NES.
Does anybody know a place with the RPG list of NES with screenshots? I could surely find it there.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 16, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »

Honestly there were very few RPGs back then.  Off the top of my head the only ones I can think of were Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Mother, Ys, Phantasy Star, and an obscure Japanese one called Sweet Home.  And I guess Hydlide.  Also the DOS Forgotten Realms games.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 16, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »

What? There were... a lot of RPGs back then. Especially on the NES. Not as many in english, but there is an unholy hell-load of them in japanese. There's still quite a few in english.

The number of (mostly crappy) DOS RPGs is pretty bloody staggering, too. Most of them have been forgotten (there were a lot!), or were never really noticed, but there were a not inconsiderable number.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xenoph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 17, 2011, 03:05:28 am »

The game I'm searching for was a 2D sidescrolling helicopter game, from the early 90's.

It had a wide variety of choppers to chose from, the ones I remember were: Defender, Blackhawk, Cobra, Apache. Non playable, there was a C-130 Hercules in certain missions which flew through the map and dropped something. There were also A-10 Thunderbolts, those could've been caled if needed, IIRC.
The weapons available were Hellfire for air-to-ground, two Air-to-air missiles and machinegun.

There were ocean, desert and "normal grassy" levels, each had probably a chain of missions. (I had the demo which let me play the grassy ones)

The in-game cursor was an interesting near-Tetrahedron, which rotated they way you moved it. It was either red, blue or green, can't remember.

You took off from an airbase, then you could fly either left or right.
After each level completed, there was a "Total Carnage so Far" screen where it counted the killed enemy buildings and units, each as an orange-ish demolition sprite.
The end score screen featured a black Apache tilted ~45°, shown from front.

This is all I remember. I loved this game and would be nice to replay it after so many years. Could you help?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:18 am »

Can't help you with that particular game, but you might want to take a look at the Choplifter series. Choplifter III on the SNES was pretty fun, although you need crazy evasion skills to fight some of the bosses.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 17, 2011, 03:35:35 am »

The game I'm searching for was a 2D sidescrolling helicopter game, from the early 90's.

It had a wide variety of choppers to chose from, the ones I remember were: Defender, Blackhawk, Cobra, Apache. Non playable, there was a C-130 Hercules in certain missions which flew through the map and dropped something. There were also A-10 Thunderbolts, those could've been caled if needed, IIRC.
The weapons available were Hellfire for air-to-ground, two Air-to-air missiles and machinegun.

There were ocean, desert and "normal grassy" levels, each had probably a chain of missions. (I had the demo which let me play the grassy ones)

The in-game cursor was an interesting near-Tetrahedron, which rotated they way you moved it. It was either red, blue or green, can't remember.

You took off from an airbase, then you could fly either left or right.
After each level completed, there was a "Total Carnage so Far" screen where it counted the killed enemy buildings and units, each as an orange-ish demolition sprite.
The end score screen featured a black Apache tilted ~45°, shown from front.

This is all I remember. I loved this game and would be nice to replay it after so many years. Could you help?

Were there also cities, bases and convoys of enemy vehicles to bomb and destory around? Because I think I know what that game is, just don't remember the name. But there were three landscapes and I remember that there were only grass places in demo :P I think it had 'tiger' in name, but good luck with that :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Xenoph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2011, 03:48:16 am »

Were there also cities, bases and convoys of enemy vehicles to bomb and destory around? Because I think I know what that game is, just don't remember the name. But there were three landscapes and I remember that there were only grass places in demo :P I think it had 'tiger' in name, but good luck with that :P

Yes, yes I'm pretty sure we think about the same! And it was a PC game, forgot to mention.

Update: Searched for "Tiger helicopter game" and yeah! http://www.brothersoft.com/games/tiger-s-bane.html

Tiger's Bane. Thanks, Haspen!  :D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2011, 04:08:11 am »

http://www.longbowgames.com/tigersbane/

Full version from original producer site :P Or at least I think it's full one.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:13 pm »

Okay, reviving this.

I'm thinking of a reealllyyy pretty obscure old, windows game I used to play. Here is a list of facts:

1) It was RPG-ish in nature, but combat was realtime. Sort of.
2) At all times, there were two sidebars with various information: one on the bottom, and one on the right.
3) The art was hilariously bad. This was someone's pet project.
4) There was a large world to traverse, and a level editor to make your own world.
5) Your primary form of alternate attack came in the form of a long list of spells. There were six or something opposing schools of spells. If you learned one your skill in the other would decrease, and vica versa.
6) The spells looked like badly done 2D particle effects.
7) One of the spells (on the "darkness" or "mind" or some sort of similar school) allowed you to tame a monster in battle. There was an elaborate pet simulator that used the monsters' battle sprites in the pet simulator window. You could raise your pet and send it into battle.
8) The game was not shareware, but you could donate something on the order of 20 dollars or something to the author for specific bonuses during online play.
9) The game had pretty identical online and offline modes. It was not really an "MMO" though.
10) When you died you respawned at some sort of shrine where the NPC who gave you the starting tutorial is.
11) You could choose your character sprite but I don't think it affected your class or stats.
12) There was some manner of joke class.
13) Most character sprites just sort of floated above the ground. All the battle backgrounds were prerendered. You could just click to move anywhere. In fact, most everything was done by clicking.

Anyone got anything? I'm surprised I remember this much. I don't remember the name, but it seems like it was "World of"... something. I might be wrong, though. Here, I drew a mock up of a screenie of the game completely from memory. It's been years since I played.

Spoiler: Battle mock-up (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »

Okay, reviving this.

I'm thinking of a reealllyyy pretty obscure old, windows game I used to play. Here is a list of facts:

1) It was RPG-ish in nature, but combat was realtime. Sort of.
2) At all times, there were two sidebars with various information: one on the bottom, and one on the right.
3) The art was hilariously bad. This was someone's pet project.
4) There was a large world to traverse, and a level editor to make your own world.
5) Your primary form of alternate attack came in the form of a long list of spells. There were six or something opposing schools of spells. If you learned one your skill in the other would decrease, and vica versa.
6) The spells looked like badly done 2D particle effects.
7) One of the spells (on the "darkness" or "mind" or some sort of similar school) allowed you to tame a monster in battle. There was an elaborate pet simulator that used the monsters' battle sprites in the pet simulator window. You could raise your pet and send it into battle.
8) The game was not shareware, but you could donate something on the order of 20 dollars or something to the author for specific bonuses during online play.
9) The game had pretty identical online and offline modes. It was not really an "MMO" though.
10) When you died you respawned at some sort of shrine where the NPC who gave you the starting tutorial is.
11) You could choose your character sprite but I don't think it affected your class or stats.
12) There was some manner of joke class.
13) Most character sprites just sort of floated above the ground. All the battle backgrounds were prerendered. You could just click to move anywhere. In fact, most everything was done by clicking.

Anyone got anything? I'm surprised I remember this much. I don't remember the name, but it seems like it was "World of"... something. I might be wrong, though. Here, I drew a mock up of a screenie of the game completely from memory. It's been years since I played.

Spoiler: Battle mock-up (click to show/hide)
Sounds like Well of Souls.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:17 am »

You got it bro. Thanks a million!

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »

Game like Diner Dash, but with cowboys instead of normal customers. It was set in the wild west, and your first customers were railroad constructors, I believe...
There was no console; it was PC.
The graphical style was cartoon-esque.
Year: I have no idea. :P My memory FAILS.
I think there was a wanted poster that came after a few levels, and a wanted cowboy would come in. If you caught him, you get points, otherwise you lose points because he robs you. Afterwards the poster changes. There was a free trial that let you go a few levels, and before closing it had a huge screen-wide banner that spoke of how many levels and stuff, mentioning a piano, I think vampires, the plot, and new saloons you could run.

Instead of cleaning up after the tables like in Diner Dash, the customers just chuck the stuff behind them and it shatters. (the stuff was glass bottles)

The plot was like this: your house burns down -> you make money using saloon -> find parents / something, I don't remember. But that's all I know, because I had played the trial.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »

Reposting this:

OK, here's one:

In this game, you play as a paladin (though I'm not 100% sure the game actually calls you one).

The game is played from a sprite-based, mostly top-down (maybe cavalier) perspective. The game is played in real time, but combat is turn-based. Moving around feels quite a bit like Legend of Zelda, in how you move from area to area and how you move around enemies. The graphics are better than Zelda though.

When you run into an opponent the game pauses, a combat window opens on the right with pictures of the relevant enemies, and it enters a turned based combat mode where you basically take turns swinging at each other. If I recall correctly, you clicked on the picture of an enemy to attack it. Killing enemies will net you loot and XP, as per standard RPG fare.

I don't recall much of the plot, but I distinctly recall fighting blood bats, and I vaguely recall something about an ice lich.

You have a health bar, and some sort of "faith" bar that works like mana (getting depleted from casting spells). You can recharge it once per level by praying at a church in the starting town (Doing so opens a text prompt where you walk with God or some such).

You also can buy new weapons and shields. Like at the very beginning of the game, I remember it was best to spend all of your money to trade in your dagger for a sword.

I actually first played it on a windows 95 system. I might have gotten it from a cd of old games - so it might conceivably be a windows 3.x game, but for some reason I have always had the impression it was a DOS game.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 204