Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376032 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #615 on: September 02, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell:_A_Cyberpunk_Thriller
http://www.giantbomb.com/the-x-files-game/61-22/

Maybe one of those two?  I tried searching for point and click games set in DC and they seem like the most likely candidates.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 02, 2011, 06:31:34 pm »

I've got a tough one, but if anyone would know it's you guys.

When I was a wee lad in the 90s I had a point and click adventure game. It came on 4 discs and the case featured a guy in all black ziplining I think. I think it was set in Washington DC, and the first "mission" had you in some museum.

That's all I remember. First to answer correctly gets any five dollar game on steam they want!

Traitor's Gate?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 02, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »

Here's a doozy.

Ignore the bit about the wizard- I remember playing a game with a character sprite that looked just like that whale, and every time I see this ad it reminds me of it. It's maddening!

From what I remember, you were a marine creature eating smaller creatures and avoiding bigger creatures in the food chain. I do not remember the purpose. I'm pretty sure it took place in a maze? I remember there were difficulty levels that determined what creature you were- whale was easy mode since everything was smaller than you, medium was a dolphin or something and I don't even remember what hard was- probably a krill or something.

I also remember that there was either another game or another mode of the same game that took place in the wilderness instead of the sea. You could play a bear, wolf/fox/something, or a rabbit. My clearest recollection is of being a bear, eating berries and running from hunters.

It's probably not as good as I remember, but hey, I just want to scratch that nostalgia itch.

Actually, while typing this I remember another game I used to play. It was a Star Trek point and click adventure thing- I remember that the copy protection was that the plot required you to warp to the right star system at the beginning, and you could only figure it out using the star chart/decoder whatever thing that came with the game. If you warped anywhere else you were attacked by Klingons or Romulans, and they would pretty much always kill you.

I don't remember much more because I only found the right system by chance once, and I got stuck shortly after beaming down. I don't even remember whether it was TNG or TOS (I'm leaning TOS.) Mostly I want the whale one answered, but this might be worth a revisit as well.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 02, 2011, 08:03:21 pm »

From what I remember, you were a marine creature eating smaller creatures and avoiding bigger creatures in the food chain. I do not remember the purpose. I'm pretty sure it took place in a maze? I remember there were difficulty levels that determined what creature you were- whale was easy mode since everything was smaller than you, medium was a dolphin or something and I don't even remember what hard was- probably a krill or something.

I also remember that there was either another game or another mode of the same game that took place in the wilderness instead of the sea. You could play a bear, wolf/fox/something, or a rabbit. My clearest recollection is of being a bear, eating berries and running from hunters.

It's probably not as good as I remember, but hey, I just want to scratch that nostalgia itch.
Was it a grid-based game where everything else moved one square when you did, and you needed to cross from the left side of the screen to the right?
Because I definitely remember playing a couple games like that, including a forest one with a bear, fox, wolf, rabbit and others I think. The other one I had was the dinosaur version which was awesome, and I remember an underwater one being advertised but not available in my version.
I just looked it up and apparently it was called "Animal Quest".

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 02, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »

Was it a grid-based game where everything else moved one square when you did, and you needed to cross from the left side of the screen to the right?
Because I definitely remember playing a couple games like that, including a forest one with a bear, fox, wolf, rabbit and others I think. The other one I had was the dinosaur version which was awesome, and I remember an underwater one being advertised but not available in my version.
I just looked it up and apparently it was called "Animal Quest".

Holy crap, how did you do that. You are my new hero. And now I have a burning need to find the dinosaur version. Thank you.

Star Trek ones....

This?

Full list if you want to check everything ;p

Wasn't that one, but a brief perusal of that list (and a quick youtube search later) reveals I was thinking of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. Thanks!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in need of a serious nostalgia binge. You guys are internet superheroes.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »

http://www.alivesoft.com/edgam.html
Apparently the dinosaur one was "Dinosaur Predator". Have fun. :D

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:54 am »

I've got a tough one, but if anyone would know it's you guys.

When I was a wee lad in the 90s I had a point and click adventure game. It came on 4 discs and the case featured a guy in all black ziplining I think. I think it was set in Washington DC, and the first "mission" had you in some museum.

That's all I remember. First to answer correctly gets any five dollar game on steam they want!

Traitor's Gate?

You win, PM Me your steam name. Mine is FatMasterRex

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:43 am »

Okay, this one is a weird one.
It was a java based mobile game. It was a post apocalyptic RPG with isometric(topdown?) graphics. The creator of the game also made some other games with the same gameplay as this one but a bit more fantasy. Also, the game's ending had you attacking some kind of alien ship. The game also had minigame based lockpicking and hacking.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2011, 02:49:55 pm »

There was this old game I use to play when I had GameTap. You were in command of a village of vikings. There were huts you assigned them to live in and they would breed new vikings. I remember there being longboats, elves, runes and magic. All I can remember really, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Populous: The Beginning?
Nope it wasn't 3d. It was Top Down 2d Isometric if I recall.

Cultures?  Or at least one of the ones in the series?
Nope I took a look and that's not it.

Thats Saga: Rage of the Vikings.

You play one of several different races, with Vikings being the main campaign one if I remember correctly. You could assign people to their huts and they'd breed, giving you more population. I also remember you could either kidnap or buy other races, so you could for example get a female troll and assign her a viking husband and they'd make you some trolls for fighting ;)

DwarfyDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Of course it's not safe! What are you, an ELF?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 09, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

This has been irritating me for a week or so. I vaguely remember a game where you have to build a base around a core that you have to protect, and you can summon people and weapons through pods from space(and I remember buying tens of crabs (because they were free)and bombing enemies with crab corpses). I need help remembering, so I can play it again

Edit: aaaand nevermind. I remembered the name right after asking. (for those of you wondering, it was Cortex Command)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:40:44 pm by DwarfyDwarf »
Small elves in your beard. The STD of the Dwarven world.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 10, 2011, 01:37:53 am »

(and I remember buying tens of crabs (because they were free)
Even if you hadn't thought of it, this was a dead giveaway.

Anyway, there's this chess game, it's either for DOS or one of the earliest windows games, and the pieces all had weapons which they used to kill each piece they captured. The bishops had staves with hidden knives, and I think the queen had an RPG launcher, and the king a colt or some other powerful pistol.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:06 am »

Anyway, there's this chess game, it's either for DOS or one of the earliest windows games, and the pieces all had weapons which they used to kill each piece they captured. The bishops had staves with hidden knives, and I think the queen had an RPG launcher, and the king a colt or some other powerful pistol.
Sounds like Battle Chess http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess , although I vaguelly remember there being more iterations of the same idea at the time. Still, the bishop with staff-hidden knife sounds like something from BC.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 10, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »

yeah, but there were no guns in battle chess.  the queen used magic, and the king always had some trick up his sleeve, like a bomb or magic shrinking dust, or a weapon hidden in his scepter.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 11, 2011, 09:30:56 am »

Does anyone know of a browser game, might be in kongregate or Newgrounds, or some site like those two, where you play as a traveling trader?  You buy supplies and goods in one city, travel across the desert ( where you can encounter bandits, law enforces, treasure chests ) until you reach the city you're aiming at.  At that point, you would sell the goods for a ( hopefully ) higher price.  The combat was awesome, you could have just played as a bandit forever. 

Help? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 204