Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376332 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been looking for this game on and off for a few years now, but never had any luck. It's probably something really obvious but I could just never find it. I'm like 80% sure it was a Sega Genesis game, but I could be wrong and it's SNES instead. It was some sort of sports game, football I think, but it was mutants, monsters and such as players. The view was more like a side-scroll than a top-down which is what I saw of similar games, but you could do stuff like trap the field and mutilate the other team's players. It was kind of shocking at the time.

I guess that's about it. Props to whoever finds it, though I'm sure it's something really obvious and I'm just dumb.
Mutant League Football?
Not Mutant League Football. It was played left-right instead of up-down. It might actually be this, but it's medieval. Strange that I would make such a gigantic mistake, and I'm still not fully convinced, but I'll let it rest for now. Thanks for the help.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I remember a game where you controlled insects, there were many kinds, from spiders to wasps, each 'species' had it's own nest that would continously produce one of three tiers of units, you could take control of other nests by damaging them enough, the units were pretty crazy, with the most notable being a spider that had rocked launchers, i also remember the game being in german
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Oh man the Little Big Adventure games were great.

...Okay, here's TWO.  Macintosh games.

1)  I played it back in the black & white days, though it might've also been in color.  Side scroller, you are flying a weird spaceship along some really weird organic looking terrain, bombing and shooting things, standard side scrolling shooter.  Strictly left to right.  It looped after a while, you didn't just end the stage or anything.  It was notable because you controlled it with the mouse, and as you started to take damage, your ship controls started failing so your ship would be bouncing around in ways that made it hard to control in addition to an alarm klaxon.  Also, it had weird early-macintosh sound effects (like, you pick up one powerup and it says "Yum yum" in a deep male voice).  I played it in '93.

2) A Nibbles-like game, if Nibble was epic.  Macintosh, yes.  I played it in color, and it was uh...I think '94 at the very latest?  Anyway, you ate apples and stuff, but what made it epic is there were multiple screens.  So you could go off the border and explore more of a rather large world.  You had a health bar, instead of auto-death if you ran over yourself.  If you clipped your own tail, you would bite it off, lose a big chunk of health depending on how much tail you lost (which might still kill you), and the tail that fell off would turn into bones (which you could still eat to get a bit of health/tail back, though not as much as you lost).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This one's been nagging me for years, but that breeder/rancher game thread made me want to post it here. I saw a friend playing a game a long time ago, I think it was anywhere between the SNES/Genesis to Playstation era and I assume it's on one of those or a similar console (Sega CD etc less popular consoles). I didn't get a chance to play it myself so the details are pretty sparse. There was some kind of system for breeding or genetic mutation, and you basically had a monster that you would build up, fight, etc. The battles were SRPG-esque, the battlefield I saw was pretty much a flat, grey (metal or gravel?) arena. The only monsters I saw or remember were basic, run of the mill Slime/Blobs. It was pretty early in the game I think, starter monsters maybe. The characters were sprite but I'm not sure about the battlefield. Pretty sure it was Tactics Ogre style, but it could of been actual 3D.

This is a really terrible example of what the blob's design was like, but it's the best I could come up with; there were no arms, eyes, mouth or any other feature to it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was just a big ol' blob of slime, coming in a variety of colors (Red and purple were the two I saw). That's all I've got!

mechjk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I remember a game where you controlled insects, there were many kinds, from spiders to wasps, each 'species' had it's own nest that would continously produce one of three tiers of units, you could take control of other nests by damaging them enough, the units were pretty crazy, with the most notable being a spider that had rocked launchers, i also remember the game being in german
swarm assault

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, it's this game, I believe for the PlayStation 2, where you (I barely remember anything about this game) and this other guy have to escape this exploding/collapsing/something building, and I remember it was two discs long. That's all I can remember.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

This one's been nagging me for years, but that breeder/rancher game thread made me want to post it here. I saw a friend playing a game a long time ago, I think it was anywhere between the SNES/Genesis to Playstation era and I assume it's on one of those or a similar console (Sega CD etc less popular consoles). I didn't get a chance to play it myself so the details are pretty sparse. There was some kind of system for breeding or genetic mutation, and you basically had a monster that you would build up, fight, etc. The battles were SRPG-esque, the battlefield I saw was pretty much a flat, grey (metal or gravel?) arena. The only monsters I saw or remember were basic, run of the mill Slime/Blobs. It was pretty early in the game I think, starter monsters maybe. The characters were sprite but I'm not sure about the battlefield. Pretty sure it was Tactics Ogre style, but it could of been actual 3D.

This is a really terrible example of what the blob's design was like, but it's the best I could come up with; there were no arms, eyes, mouth or any other feature to it.
It was just a big ol' blob of slime, coming in a variety of colors (Red and purple were the two I saw). That's all I've got!
Monster Rancher. There's a variety of titles on a variety of platforms. I think the Playstation has the most of them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Monster Rancher. There's a variety of titles on a variety of platforms. I think the Playstation has the most of them.
No, that'd be WAY too easy. Monster Rancher had 3D polygonal creatures and the arena wasn't even remotely similar. I guess if I could add anything, I would say that the overall setting was somewhat more mature and dark (visually).

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kind of in the same note, I remember playing a game *like* monster rancher, except that you saw the monsters in a top down arena, and they were on hoverboards.  I only remember playing it on a demo-disk as it was an import, but I was never able to find it.  It was for the ps1.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember this game for the Nintendo 64 or the PS1. Either way, it was 2.5D(3D polygons on a 2D plane) and involved solving puzzles. It was a platformer. The levels themselves didn't fill the screen but they were made of blocks(Silver?) and the background was an eerie red and grey.

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not a game in particular, but the designer, I remember one of the games he had there were people in buildings, and you connected them and influenced how the relationships grew and died.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile

SEGA Genesis game with a modern/dark setting with magic. In the beginning you chase the villian and he stops you by turning things around you evil. At the beginning some dogs turn evil and attack you. And I remember going to a building at the beginning after the dog scene and the people in there turn into skeletons if you cast magic on them/go near them.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

swarm assault

Correct, thank you very much
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Not a game in particular, but the designer, I remember one of the games he had there were people in buildings, and you connected them and influenced how the relationships grew and died.
That might be Night Raveler and the Heartbroken Uruguayans, by the author Daniel Benmergui (who also did the pretty I Wish I Were the Moon that Max White here has an icon from, and the heart-touching Today I Die).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:54:24 am by AnalysisFailed »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 204