Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: APB (All Points Bulletin) The Cops and Robber MMO  (Read 23405 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: APB (All Points Bulletin) The Cops and Robber MMO
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2010, 02:38:05 am »

Oh, well, looks like I do have money for EVE. I still know nothing about it, it seems.

Pathos

« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:10 am »

Not the best wording there, on my part.

Either way, doesn't EVE have like 5 expansion packs now? Guessing they go for around 30 each.. I was planning to upgrade my computer soon. And yeah, my rant a little bit up doesn't make much sense, kinda got lost in the moment. =P

No, they got for free with the main client. Which can also be downloaded for free.

Pretty much that. EvE can't charge for expansions, because they'd break the community up and that would be a very bad thing.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:17 am »

I have no idea what I said last page. None. I think I may need some sleep.

Looked like a case of pre-buyers remorse, with a bad case of over-hyped-syndrome, which is very strange seeing as how it's now completely passed and I feel like an idiot already now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:44:08 am by Dr. Johbson »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »

I find it highly dubious that any more than a small handfull of people are going to be able to pay for their subscriptions with their in-game created content. It seems like a marketing thing of "yeah sure, you can play for free, honest!"

First of all, most people who play games like this do so for the editors. Loads of people seem to get into games like CoH entirely because of the editors, and being able to customise their guys. Paying someone else to do it is like paying someone else to shoot the bad guys for you. Wheres the fun? I don't think theres enough game there behind the editor to justify paying someone else to make you a custom leather jacket. Especially since you don't use subscription time when your using the editors, which would be the only reason I could imagine for something like this taking off.

Second of all, RPS compares it to second life for the in-game items for subscription economy. The key difference being that creating things in second life is more than just cosmetic, its modelling and coding behaviors (as far as I understand it anyway). If you could make a gun in APB that shot further, or a car that handled better, then I can see a market. But for pretty graphics?

Anyone who's in a guild (or APB equivalent) is going to have free access to user-made content. Anyone is going to be able to make their own stuff too, sure it may not be as high quality as other stuff, but at least it's yours, which is kinda the whole point.

The only way this subscription thing is going to be worthwhile for anyone, is if the devs continually support the game with monthly updates after release, Asherons Call style.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »

Paying someone else to do it is like paying someone else to shoot the bad guys for you. Wheres the fun?
Trust me when I say people will pay for near anything in MMOs...
I personally have had (cumulative) thousands of dollars, real life USD, pass in and out of my bank account for in-game transactions regarding anything from purely decorative crap to 'leveled' characters (accounts).

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2010, 01:37:52 pm »

Paying someone else to do it is like paying someone else to shoot the bad guys for you. Wheres the fun?
I personally have had (cumulative) thousands of dollars, real life USD, pass in and out of my bank account for in-game transactions regarding anything from purely decorative crap to 'leveled' characters (accounts).

The difference being that those are in MMOs.

APB isn't an MMO. Its a shooter with an editing suite. Also usually those things people pay for in MMOs are things that they would otherwise have to grind for. If they could aquire them right off the bat (without even using their subscription time) I think you'd find them a little less willing to shell out cash.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

The difference being that those are in MMOs.

APB isn't an MMO. Its a shooter with an editing suite. Also usually those things people pay for in MMOs are things that they would otherwise have to grind for. If they could aquire them right off the bat (without even using their subscription time) I think you'd find them a little less willing to shell out cash.
It all comes down to opportunity cost. Everyone values his or her time differently. While you may not think the few minutes to make your own design is worth anything, someone else may. I personally would rather buy a T-shirt than take the time to weave it myself. Some people may prefer to buy a 'digital' t-shirt than take the time to design it themselves. You don't consider that process as part of a 'grind' but some people do.
Take for instance Battlefield Heroes. There are some purely decorative clothing items available for sale. People buy them. Sure, maybe not a lot, but some.
It has nothing to do with MMO or shooter or rts. You need to keep in mind that some people value money differently than you may. I personally would rather spend a couple hundred $ to buy a 'finished' Ultima Online account than take the time to do it myself (In fact, I have). As such, I can see myself rather spending a few dollars on some decorative stuff, even in a shooter, than making it myself. My time is worth more to me than the couple dollars something might cost, not to mention the creative skill I may lack.

Just because you are spending time in an editor and not 'using subscription time' does not make it less of a grind (to some).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:26 pm »

People will also pay for any crap.

Take a look at furcadia (a furre game of sorts that I love dissing) for example. People pay 100 bucks for pixels. Literally. Like 32 frames of like 50x50 pixels... 100 bucks..

Having played APB twice, I can say it's fun and I really don't see where this not-an-mmo is coming from. The areas are big enough, altho there are only 2 of them, not counting the social area. You see 100 people around you, that's normal for an instance in any mmo. You have lots of missions. The npc factions do have some storylines to them. The items you wear -do matter-. It's a mmo alright, there were a few thousand people online in the beta, the only difference is that you gotta aim.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2010, 12:27:59 pm »

New podcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr5BfKLkq3k

Woops, fixed the link. Hopefully youtube will stop being annoying and let people see it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:03:10 pm by Soulwynd »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »

Having played APB twice, I can say it's fun and I really don't see where this not-an-mmo is coming from. The areas are big enough, altho there are only 2 of them, not counting the social area. You see 100 people around you, that's normal for an instance in any mmo. You have lots of missions. The npc factions do have some storylines to them. The items you wear -do matter-. It's a mmo alright, there were a few thousand people online in the beta, the only difference is that you gotta aim.
Doh I never said it isn't fun (though its fun in a way every online game is, having fun with people, game alone quickly gets boring), problem is that amount (or rather lack) of content (seriously, Battlefield Heroes has more to offer) doesn't deserve full retail price + monthly fees + pseudo micro transactions. Its just not right to charge for content that may or may not be there at some point in time (my assumption, because I see no other explanation why its so expensive for what it is) . I might check it out when this content actually makes it into the game.

Ps. This podcast is on BETA site so only few chosen can see it  :-\.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:45 pm »

I assume the lack of content is due to it being a beta. I know they probably wont throw in another district before release and I was sad about the monthly fee. I think the micro transaction will work nicely if they give some of the currency as bonus for people who pay for hours/monthly, that way you can boost your player economy a little more.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

I was in few beta's myself and that's not how it works. Beta is stage where you polish what you already have and squash bugs. Sure some things may change but not drastically like adding brand new activity like lets say street racing everyone and their mom wants. Though I hope I'm wrong and developers will start cranking out awesomesauce.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2010, 03:15:48 pm »

I might buy it if the price gets cut on the box (or removed, it's happened before like with EA game Battleforge or EVE Online). Also, they should have free access to like a practice district (even make it a clone of a current district) where you can't earn XP or cash/items. Should be easy to implement.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »

I was in few beta's myself and that's not how it works.
Nah, things get added and taken out in beta quite a lot. That includes content. I've been (partially, at least I brought it up then people followed as a mad rabble with pitch forks and torches) responsible for that in two betas I've been in. Course, that doesn't happen in mmos being americanized, since they're pretty much already done.

I still doubt an area would be added in beta in this case, they seem to have been quite polished as it is. But I do think they will add more missions for each area, as right now, there are only a few and they barely use the entire area of the city.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14