Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Drugs - Legalisation and such.  (Read 7228 times)

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
Drugs - Legalisation and such.
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

Here's something for you to stew over.

First, I don't do drugs and I never have.

Recently here in Ireland a mild altermative to hash, whose name escsapes me, has been banned. There was no real justification behind the ban other than "It's a drug!!! OH SHIT!!!"

Now, on the subject on drugs as a whole, I think it's ridiculious that a government can ban any kind of drug. Banning a drug only gives it a "forbidden fruit" kind of appeal, that many will fall victim to. I think that it is an infringement on our liberal rights that the government can remove one drug and keep another, for reason other than a link to a more dangerous drug or a bad reputation.Cigarettes remain legal because of their heavy taxation that brings government profit, so why not follow suit with other drugs?

My idea for drugs is:
1:Make all recreational drugs legal. Heavily tax them.
2:Use additional funds to setup helplines for any who become addicted. It's easier to admit to an addiction when the substance is legal. Ads to help quit smoking are broadcast on television, for example.
3:PROFIT!

I wait for your opinions.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs - Legalisation and such.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

Barbarossa supports GruffyBears' sentiments.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:26:26 pm »

Barbarossa supports GruffyBears' sentiments.

This is acceptable.
- T.S Eliot

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »

Then you can dump all the profits back into rehab programs and the medical system to deal with the sharp increase of 12 year old methheads. Great idea!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »

You mean the sharp increase that's been going on for YEARS?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:35:37 pm »

And so the camelnose arguments show themselves already.  Awesome!

Ironically, I just capped off a public speaking class with an appeal for legalizing marijuana.  Not because I have any love of the stuff, but because I think the United States has better things to do with 250 billion dollars a year besides shutting down dispensaries and incarcerating 3% of the population.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »

Then you can dump all the profits back into rehab programs and the medical system to deal with the sharp increase of 12 year old methheads. Great idea!

Thanks!

First of all, you clearly did not read stage two of Operation:Lucy in a pie with spices.

Second: Like legalised drugs at the moment, there will be age restrictions, and yes this goes back to "forbidden fruit" blah blah, but it's easier to deal with because of more help.

And if someone is addicted to an illegal drug, it's legal status will mean little to them. Wouldn't you rather the government had the money, rather than drug lords?
- T.S Eliot

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:53:37 pm »

Age restrictions don't help a lot. How many kids do you see smoking just off school property? How many kids sneak out to the woods to drink the beer they payed an older guy to buy? How often do you see little Jimmy doing lines of coke in the boys locker room? I'd say the first two happen a lot more often. Increasing the accessibility of dangerous drugs is a very bad idea. And I don't think the "drug lords" would be very happy with the government cutting into their profits and would operate illegally regardless, but since the drug has been legalized it makes the process for them just that much easier. For example; cigarettes are legal, yet there are still people selling cigarettes illegally all over the place.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »

For marijuana, I can understand legalisation.  But with cocaine, crack, heroin, LSD, ecstasy, methamphetamine, and just about every other controlled substance, not really.  That stuff will, to put it very bluntly, fuck you up.  Most of it is horribly addictive from its chemical - much more addictive than cigarettes.  Marijuana is only addictive in the same way TV can be, in that you don't get withdrawal without taking it again.  Cocaine, on the other hand, can get you hooked after just a few doses, and heroin, I think it is, gets you hooked the moment it gets in your system.

Seriously, marijuana is the odd man out as far as illegal recreational drugs go.  It's the only one that doesn't screw with you too badly.  At worst (which is when it is smoked), it gives you the same toxins as cigarettes and messes with your short term memory, if you smoke it with great frequency, which you wouldn't because it has no chemicals that are addictive by nature.

Every thing else on the US list of illegal recreational drugs truly belongs there.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:36 pm »

Idea: ban meth and angel dust and heroin and all that shit. Legalize things like LSD and pot. LSD users don't even display signs of addiction and dependency and all that.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:41 pm »

Idea: ban meth and angel dust and heroin and all that shit. Legalize things like LSD and pot.
Bold:  That stuff is actually pretty bad for you.  It'll stay in your system for pretty much your whole life, occasionally causing flashbacks of trips, including bad trips.  Like I said, marijuana's the only thing that doesn't deserve it's status.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:38 pm »

Age restrictions don't help a lot. How many kids do you see smoking just off school property? How many kids sneak out to the woods to drink the beer they payed an older guy to buy? How often do you see little Jimmy doing lines of coke in the boys locker room? I'd say the first two happen a lot more often. Increasing the accessibility of dangerous drugs is a very bad idea. And I don't think the "drug lords" would be very happy with the government cutting into their profits and would operate illegally regardless, but since the drug has been legalized it makes the process for them just that much easier. For example; cigarettes are legal, yet there are still people selling cigarettes illegally all over the place.

No there aren't. I have quite literally never ever seen that. "doing lines of coke in the locker room"? Cocaine is a Class-A drug. I wouldn't legalise that. Smoking and the beer are both from "some older guy" or irresponsible parents. Thats "the human factor" in action. It's the reason communism struggles and crashes most of the time.
No plan is infallible because its enacted by a fallible species. And the drug lords would sell their produce to pharmaceutical companies for legal profit, so there'd be no need for illegal trading.
- T.S Eliot

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »

And the drug lords would sell their produce to pharmaceutical companies for legal profit, so there'd be no need for illegal trading.
Tax evasion.
Just so I remember

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »

Every time I comment, 3 other replies have popped up. It's very hard to stay on top of.
- T.S Eliot

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »

And the drug lords would sell their produce to pharmaceutical companies for legal profit, so there'd be no need for illegal trading.
Tax evasion.

Dammit, Man! ( Sorry, not about the question, just the pile up.)

It'd be a lot easier to track though, as they'd have more information on the drug lords, as they'd want to appear to be paying taxes. Also they wouldn't pay very many taxes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:07:31 pm by GruffyBears »
- T.S Eliot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6