Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Drugs - Legalisation and such.  (Read 7222 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs - Legalisation and such.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »

And you guys know what?

Drug lords won't evade the taxes, because operating without the looming threat of the DEA hanging over you is cheaper.

If they were so worried about the looming threat of the DEA they wouldn't be in the business in the first place. The guys at the top don't have as much to worry about as the guys down the ladder and they will always be able to find somebody looking to take risks for a quick buck.

So, why do people have the right to become disgustingly obese? They're a greater burden on society than drug addicts.

It is a problem that needs to be dealt with. Just because it is ok to do one thing doesn't mean that everything else should be granted equal status. We have a enough problems already, making more is not a good idea.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »

I didn't say they were worried. I said that the DEA made their job expensive. You tell me, is smuggling highly illegal drugs across several nation's borders really more expensive than paying taxes to the U.S. government?

Yes. It is. And that was a rhetorical question.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:39 pm »

I didn't say they were worried. I said that the DEA made their job expensive. You tell me, is smuggling highly illegal drugs across several nation's borders really more expensive than paying taxes to the U.S. government?

Yes. It is. And that was a rhetorical question.

Then why are people still smuggling cigarettes across borders instead of paying taxes to the U.S. government? Are they on some kind of humanitarian mission to bring cheap cigarettes to the masses?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »

That's very few people. Most cigarettes are legally imported or made domestically, like drugs would be if they were legalized.

Remember how there were those crime rings smuggling booze during prohibition? And how that shit stopped when alcohol became legal, because running a legit brewery is cheaper than smuggling?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 10:48:56 pm »

That's very few people. Most cigarettes are legally imported or made domestically, like drugs would be if they were legalized.

Remember how there were those crime rings smuggling booze during prohibition? And how that shit stopped when alcohol became legal?

Very few people? It is a global industry with illegal cigarettes coming from many countries such as China and Canada.

The drugs that the government confiscate are barely scratching the surface.  Some of the the busts are meant to be found, the government can pat themselves on the back and show the masses what a difference they made by confiscating x million dollars worth of such and such drug and the growers can get the rest of their shit by with less trouble.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:50:56 pm by Wiles »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:22 pm »

I seriously doubt that illegal cigarettes comprise a large percentage of the cigarettes sold in America.

And seriously, you haven't addressed the fact that ending prohibition resulted in the sharp decline of those dangerous rings of bootleggers.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58:18 pm »

I haven't addressed the bootleggers because there is a modern example of a controlled substance that is smuggled and sold illegally. Illegal cigarettes are more prevalent than you think. It might not be noticeable in a middle class environment, but go to any poorer parts of a city and you will find someone selling cheap cigs.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:56 pm »

That has very little to do with the bootleggers. Making alcohol legal stopped a lot of crime. Legalizing drugs like marijuana and LSD would save lives, too.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 11:04:53 pm »

I don't follow. Making cigarettes legal didn't stop people from making cigarettes. Making drugs illegal won't stop people from making drugs.

I agree that legalising marijuana (which I am for, anyway) could potentially save lives, as in some areas you can end up buying stuff that isn't just marijuana and could pose serious health risks. However,  I don't think everyone will stop growing it and selling it illegally.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »

Far fewer people will do it illegally, and those who do will be less inclined to be brutally violent.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Far fewer people will do it illegally, and those who do will be less inclined to be brutally violent.

Ok - here is a pdf from cancer.org about that has info about illegal cigarettes.

http://www.cancer.org/downloads/AA/TobaccoAtlas17.pdf

It states that illegal cigarettes take up about 1/3 of the global market. That is a lot of cigarettes.

I would venture to guess that there would still be plenty of illegal drugs smuggled and sold.

Anyway, it's been fun but I have to get back to packing, I have to move tomorrow and have found it conveniently easy to procrastinate with this thread.  :D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 11:46:35 pm »

Remember how there were those crime rings smuggling booze during prohibition? And how that shit stopped when alcohol became legal, because running a legit brewery is cheaper than smuggling?

Just what I was about to bring up! Prohibition made Al Capone. the 'Drug War' made drug lords.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:05 am »

You mean the sharp increase that's been going on for YEARS?

In the US drug and alcohol use has been on the down trend for the last decade or so.

Not all drugs should be legal.

Some drugs are plainly dangerous and deadly in even 'controlled' amounts. Date Rape drugs have very few and niche consentutial use that can be achieved through other over the drugs that them being legal services no purpose but to help foster non con sex. For the US, I'm for having all consider illegal recreational drugs to go through FDA approval, to get a fair shot. I figure most of them would still be illegal but a few should get through. Possibly LSD and pot for examples.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:13 am »

Quick side thought:
Salvia Divinorum (I think that was the name) has a very unique hallucinogen which has never proven addictive or damaging. Used as a healing herb in medicinal practice in Mexico or something. The active ingredient is Unpronouncable-A, the world's strongest and possibly safest hallucinogen. It's legal and easy to obtain. My friend experimented for a time period and I learned a lot about drugs. The active compond has no nitrogen, or something like that. Very strange. The toxicity level for humans is estimated to be pointlessly high at a thousand kilos or something.

Give free samples of the compound to curios people as if you were running a honey-pot, labeling it and hiding it in forms to mimic other drugs. They think they're trying hemp or whatever, but instead are scared off from the dangerous drugs by this safe stuff. Why isn't it addictive? It's the strongest known hallucinogen. Piss your pants in fear from the out-of-control feeling it gives strong. Few people ever try it more than a couple times because it's downright scary to use.

Like a shock collar for potential druggies.

It makes a great antidepressant in very minor doses I'm told too. I didn't try his tea, but I believe him.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:48 am »

Quick side thought:
Salvia Divinorum (I think that was the name) has a very unique hallucinogen which has never proven addictive or damaging. Used as a healing herb in medicinal practice in Mexico or something. The active ingredient is Unpronouncable-A, the world's strongest and possibly safest hallucinogen. It's legal and easy to obtain. My friend experimented for a time period and I learned a lot about drugs. The active compond has no nitrogen, or something like that. Very strange. The toxicity level for humans is estimated to be pointlessly high at a thousand kilos or something.

Give free samples of the compound to curios people as if you were running a honey-pot, labeling it and hiding it in forms to mimic other drugs. They think they're trying hemp or whatever, but instead are scared off from the dangerous drugs by this safe stuff. Why isn't it addictive? It's the strongest known hallucinogen. Piss your pants in fear from the out-of-control feeling it gives strong. Few people ever try it more than a couple times because it's downright scary to use.

Like a shock collar for potential druggies.

It makes a great antidepressant in very minor doses I'm told too. I didn't try his tea, but I believe him.

So its an under tested hallucinogen with unsubstantiated claims that you trust friend who receive some of this information of its affect anecdotally?

By chance is your friend a bio chemist?

Salvia is legality is questionable in the US. Its illigal in new mexico, and I think Arizona.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6