Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425009 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19575 on: August 26, 2015, 08:54:18 pm »

Either way, I just want to play on a small server with (mostly) magic mods. Preferably one populated by Bay12ers.
+1
I literally just need to find some people interested in playing, and make sure we all know what pack to use, because I have a friend who is willing to host it. Guh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19576 on: August 26, 2015, 08:56:48 pm »

As long as it's not hosted in Europe, because 600ms pings are not my best friend.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19577 on: August 26, 2015, 09:00:23 pm »

Any blightfall players have any advice on how to deal with taint swarms? Any area that used to have trees becomes very dangerous. Or perhaps I just suck at minecraft combat.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19578 on: August 27, 2015, 12:18:03 am »

Any blightfall players have any advice on how to deal with taint swarms? Any area that used to have trees becomes very dangerous. Or perhaps I just suck at minecraft combat.

If there's only one spawner nearby, you can do it with a sword. Just get close enough for the swarm to come after you, then let it get right in front of you and keep swinging the sword. You won't hit most of the time, but as long as you're swinging, they won't hit you, and eventually you'll get them down to zero. When there are no swarms left, rush in and kill that spawner as fast as you can - but be aware that more swarms can appear, so keep an eye out for them in case they pop up behind you. I've manged to take out quite a few spawners without any ranged weapons, although I haven't managed to take on more than one spawner at a time yet.

The swarms are hardcore. I had one follow me all the way back to my dome (after I had run quite a long distance and thought I had lost it), even after I had blocked the dome back off. It drifted up to the edge of the dome and just stayed there until I went out and killed it. Creepy, aggressive little bastards...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19579 on: August 27, 2015, 02:39:00 am »

What kinds of spawners are they? Do the mobs drop anything useful?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19580 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:09 am »

Thaumcraft taint swarm spawners. Its a fast, flying mob only visible by the particle effects it trails, and it has no drop. The reward for killing a spawner is simply a slightly less hostile environment - but any tree degrades into crusted taint and that creates more spawners, so many areas cannot practically be pacified.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19581 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:08 am »

So not really something I can turn into a farm, then. Bugger.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19582 on: August 27, 2015, 05:04:49 am »

I think they do sometimes drop the goo or tendrils which are needed for Blightfall quests and also the only practical sources of Vitium for Thaumcraft. But yeah, they are horrible, and between them and the chickens, going out into the taint is an extremely dangerous thing to do, especially in a former forest. However, if you can get close enough to throw down an ethereal bloom, the spawners will eventually die. On the other hand, the crusted taint that logs become when tainted turns into flux when "cleaned" by the ethereal bloom, so you have to protect the flower somehow so it doesn't get popped off the landscape by liquid flux and despawn.

Taint is serious business. And Blightfall is a serious challenge.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19583 on: August 29, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »

Anyone know where the netherwart is hidden? Preferably somewhere without tainted (hunters/botanists/thaumaturges/chickens).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19584 on: August 29, 2015, 11:19:20 pm »

How the hell do you get started out in blight fall?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19585 on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:49 pm »

Do you know what the ping would be if I hosted?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19586 on: August 30, 2015, 12:42:55 am »

It would be very high.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19587 on: August 30, 2015, 02:12:31 am »

I'd love to host but I'm on a very slow DSL connection with 10 kb/s max upload speed. I tried hosting a LAN game with my mom via Hamachi and she did nothing but rubberband for a solid twenty minutes before we gave up.

You can also find nether stuff in a particular spot on the map, andrewas. You'll get to it eventually if you keep following the scouting quests. (I haven't gotten that far myself so I'm not sure where it is, but I know it's on an island somewhere.) But yeah, you can also get it as a rare drop by getting seeds from the supplier, but you have to get very lucky. I wouldn't count on that unless you have loads of mission outlook to spare.

And I would guess you can probably also find some on other parts of the map, hidden away, but I don't know any off hand that have soul sand or nether wart.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19588 on: August 30, 2015, 04:26:22 am »

Soul sand was easy, but I can't find netherwart anywhere. So, I fed all my reputation to the random number gods and eventually got one. I just have to not die for a while.

How the hell do you get started out in blight fall?

Start in one of the easy domes. Alpha is good, but it doesn't matter that much because you can access the others easily enough.

Do Instructor quests, including the tutorial ones if you don't already know Tinker's Construct. You'll need to leave the dome to go to the swamp to get clay, otherwise you can get a solid start without putting yourself in any danger. If I were to do it again, I'd build my smeltery on the outside of the dome and knock a hole so I can access it, that way I'd have more room for farming. The smeltery isn't affected by taint. Your first goal is to get through the hard metal gate. Soft metal is easy, you can find Promethium below Alpha, but the only hard metal you can get below Alpha is Iron, and you can't make a vanilla Iron pick. So, you're looking for Bronze (copper and tin, all tech metals are very rare but when you find one ore, you can requisition ingots from the Jaded), or something called Oureclass or something which is below the swamp.

Anyway. Get armor, get a sword, do scout quests. Do not go to the later destinations, they tend to have humanoid enemies that can't really be killed yet. Even a hunter is a serious threat. Reputation feels cheap during this phase, but you'll hit a wall when you run out of scout locations, and the repeatable missions from the Colonist don't give you that much reputation considering what they want from you. Your priority now is probably thaumcraft research, though your tools can still be upgraded a lot without too much danger. And set up a varied farm, Spice of Life will heavily nerf your food otherwise.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #19589 on: August 30, 2015, 04:27:37 am »

I started a lan server (as I can't host online) for me and my brothers. so far, an interesting challenge. More I'm amazed I got it running on my mom's new pc with only 2.5 usable ram, most eaten by 64 os
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 1380