Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423441 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18690 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:59 pm »

I'm using the cloning mod to populate the single-player world I'm currently using to make my videos. Putting in an actual player's name when you make a clone gives the clone that player's skin as well, so I was just collecting names of people who might want to appear in the videos and be part of my town.

The first video is done, but the only clone included so far is my mother. Next video coming pretty soon. (Link to my YouTube in my signature -- it's the most recent video.)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18691 on: September 10, 2014, 02:29:10 pm »

But, 2 billion dollars? How will they ever make that money back?

50 million current minecraft players * $40 for the first expansion pack = $2 billion

Release a new expansion pack every year. Plus revenue from ads placed on the loading screen.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: September 10, 2014, 02:57:23 pm »

Or yanno Minecraft Realms?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18693 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

Guys, I have an idea.

Let's raise three billion dollars and buy Minecraft ourselves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18694 on: September 10, 2014, 03:26:25 pm »

Guys, I have an idea.

Let's raise three billion dollars and buy Minecraft ourselves.
But then we'd have to deal with the minecraft forum.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18695 on: September 10, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

Microsoft just likes to own things, as far as I can tell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18696 on: September 11, 2014, 12:53:45 am »

Well at least it's not Google. ...Never thought I'd say that, but eh.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18697 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:23 am »

Honestly, I think Google would do better owning Minecraft than Microsoft. At least Google tries to look nice and friendly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:38 am »

Someone on /v/ pointed out an old tweet by Notch saying "give me 2 billions and I'll endorse your bullshit". I don't have the context but I suppose, by logical deduction, that it was a rebuttal to a big company of sorts trying to get into minecraft.
By extension we can suppose that it's where the article fished the pricetag.

With no confirmation from either and lack of verifiability from the article (because paywall), I find this claim dubious.

The biggest cause of doubt bullshit in that story is the friggin price. $2 billion? Wikipedia gives Mojang an annual net income of roughly 100 M€ (2013). At that rate microsoft would need twenty years to turn a profit on the operation. Twenty. Years. That's assuming there's no impact on sales.

TL;DR I think this story is fake.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:41 am »

Mojang doesn't merchandise as well as, say, Pokemon, which is less popular.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:39 am »

So i wonder what mojang made on actual lego?

The price tag has got to be bullshit because disney payed a mere 4 billion dollars, which It can easily make back from the next trilogy (not counting actual pricetag of the film plus half a billion dollars advertising).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:57 am »

SO. Anyways. Customized worldgen stuff. Anybody been mucking around with it? I've found that hitting the 'randomize' button while on the advanced parameters page tends to produce tall cliffs and such.

Spoiler: I call it fjordworld (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18702 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:43 am »

Damnit Vorthon, now I'm nostalgic for the Alpha world generation!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:54 am »

Well, at least you can get back to single-biome worlds now. I'm currently wandering through a world that's exclusively mega taiga in single player. Just got enough materials to build myself a moss stone cottage, really.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18704 on: September 11, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »

re: all the MS/Mojang $2 billion talk, I call bullshit until it is heard from the horse's mouth.  The Wall Street Journal is owned by News Corp., which also owns FOX; nothing they say can be taken at face value.  The article being cited is behind a paywall _and_ doesn't name its source.  Clickbait of the first order, and the entire gaming industry is playing ball.  Pathetic.

Bloomberg reported this too, roughly at the same time as WSJ.

As to the price tag, yes I think $2B is rather high, but not by as much as you might think. Given that minecraft has sold 54 million copies across all platforms, and has various other endevors going on (such as that movie, which was apparantly initiated by notch, not microsoft), I would like $1.5 billion would be a more realistic valuation. Then again, Snapshot got valued at 10 billion, so everything is overpriced.
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 1380