Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423567 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18630 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:20 am »

Ah, I knew I had seen somewhere that they replant crops, but I guess it was not for this version. It's okay, I managed to find a second village with both potatoes and carrots, hooray! Silly that the only way to get those is to 1. find a rare NPC village and 2. have the good luck for them to have fields. They should be obtainable in other ways.

Now that I've been using mods for a while, vanilla Minecraft just seems so... Blah. It feels like the demo version of the game. Just a tiny taste of what should be in there. Then, when I hear that they're still updating vanilla -- and the updates STILL fall short of mods that have been out for years -- I get very confused. This professional team has had years to make the game spectacular, and yet they have hardly changed the game in years, while volunteer modders working in their spare time have overhauled the game and added a plethora of new mechanics, items, and activities in a fraction of the time. Such a strange sort of imbalance. I mean, I'm only using 1.6.4 of vanilla because that's where all my favorite mods are.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18631 on: September 02, 2014, 06:55:52 am »

Which doesn't help if you play on peaceful. : )

I'm still looking for a way to get slime. I have sources for string and bones and rotten meat, but no slimeballs. That peaceful pack mod doesn't seem to work on my version (1.6.4)... Anyone know of a way to mod in slime in peaceful?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: September 02, 2014, 07:14:00 am »

I'm still looking for a way to get slime. I have sources for string and bones and rotten meat, but no slimeballs. That peaceful pack mod doesn't seem to work on my version (1.6.4)... Anyone know of a way to mod in slime in peaceful?

Slime islands! Not sure what mod adds them.

You might get lucky and find an island with a tree on it. Get some saplings and some slime blocks and you can grow all the slime you might want.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:12 am »

Villagers doing farming/harvesting stuff is getting added in vanilla 1.8 (tomorrow!), no idea if it's been done already by mods.
Uh guys.
1.8 is out.
Doors and fences in any wood type! Bunnies! Villager slavery!
Buttons on the cealing? Madness.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: September 02, 2014, 07:54:57 am »

You might get lucky and find an island with a tree on it. Get some saplings and some slime blocks and you can grow all the slime you might want.
I think its tinker's construct that adds them. It uses what the slime islands drop anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18635 on: September 02, 2014, 08:06:53 am »

I think its tinker's construct that adds them. It uses what the slime islands drop anyway.

Yup, it appears to be tinker's construct. Presumably it won't help my already-genned world, though; I'll just have to spawn in a sapling and go from there I guess.

I've also just discovered the CloneCraft mod. This is going into my world, as long as it doesn't crash. Mini-Minecraftians! Huzzah! And easy transplanting of NPCs to wherever you want them! Wheeee!

I had been looking forward to 1.8, but now... All my mods are on 1.6.4. So it'll probably be a while before I even try it. I *would* like buttons on the floor and ceiling, and armor on my skin, but those are hardly better than thaumcraft and buildcraft and harvestcraft and all those other delightful things.

EDIT: Has anyone spent any time with Thaumcraft 4? When doing the research, it seems there is a finite number of research points you can get... I've already analyzed just about every item in the game, but I'm running out of research points, especially water. Is there any way to get more, other than wandering all over the world looking for nodes? Have I missed something? Is there a way to get research points from magical items or vis or something? Or a way to create new magical nodes?

I'm also noticing that, despite having buildcraft installed and the recipes show up in NEI, I have not found any of the new ores while mining. And I have mined a LOT. I have found plenty of redstone (still no diamond though), a few pieces of gold, and a surprisingly small amount of iron, but not a single block of copper or silver or tin or anything. Does buildcraft not play nice with underground biomes, maybe? I'm thinking maybe I need to get rid of underground biomes... I suspect that might be causing my problems with mining...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:37:38 am by Sappho »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: September 02, 2014, 11:10:01 am »

Are you sure you picked up the 1.6.4 version? As far as I can tell there are several sub-versions on this page under the 1.6.4 heading (I'm assuming the "b" in Version 1.1.6.4b stands for beta).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: September 02, 2014, 11:37:30 am »

EDIT: Has anyone spent any time with Thaumcraft 4? When doing the research, it seems there is a finite number of research points you can get... I've already analyzed just about every item in the game, but I'm running out of research points, especially water. Is there any way to get more, other than wandering all over the world looking for nodes? Have I missed something? Is there a way to get research points from magical items or vis or something? Or a way to create new magical nodes?

The deconstruction table has a chance of giving you one of the primal aspects that makes up what you put inside it. You can then use those to construct the compound aspects that you lack. You can use any item that contains aspects. For example, you have a chance of getting a point of terra or perditio (according to the FTB wiki, should be relevant in this case as well) if you throw in cobble. You can't automate it, however. Every time it generates an aspect, you have to click it before it will begin generating another.

I don't recall if there's a way to break down compound aspects, but it wouldn't surprise me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:40:08 am by Mephisto »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: September 02, 2014, 12:07:38 pm »

If you have running water/Lots of stone/Bookshelves/Crystal clusters of each type and a few other items near your research table; your basic aspects will get a little star on them which means they regenerate back up to one aspect whenever you drain them to nothing after a short period of time (based on how many of that aspected item you have near the table)
Bookselves will regenerate anything but incredibly slowly as I believe they rotate what they give each time, crystal clusters are once about every 15 seconds or so.  Building your tower out of cobble gives you earth and I believe ordis pretty rapidly.  Mess around with different configurations basically until they all have stars on them and presto, technically infinite if a bit slow research points.
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18639 on: September 02, 2014, 12:18:15 pm »

Well it seems that the deconstruction table requires quite a bit of gold to make. I think it's going to be a long time before I find enough.

I'm still having massive problems with finding resources underground. I'm very concerned that there seems to be none of the buildcraft ores at all, which means I can't make most of the buildcraft items. All resources, even iron, seem to be very rare, and this is the second world I've generated with this problem. The first one had only Life in the Woods installed. This one has most of the LITW mods, plus buildcraft, plus thaumcraft, plus NEI. What the hell is wrong here? Google is coming back with no answers. : ( I found such an amazing place to build my base, and now that I realize my ores are missing, I guess I'll have to regen the whole world. Maybe I'll try making a world without underground biomes... That's my best guess as to what's causing the problems.

FAKE EDIT: I just removed the underground biomes and genned a new world, and all my ores seem to be finally genning properly. So for some reason, that mod was messing up all the ore spawning underground. I really, really don't want to give up my beautiful base spot, but it's hardly worth playing knowing that I'll never find half the stuff I need.

Damn it, and I put so much time into carving a magical workshop in the top of a gigantic oak tree, on a cliff with a waterfall overlooking a field of lavender. It was PERFECT. Damn it damn it damn it. And all the research will have to be done all over again... I may have to cheat a bit on that. Thaumcraft research has got to be the most tedious thing I've ever seen added in a mod. Took hours to unlock all the aspect types...

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »

Villagers doing farming/harvesting stuff is getting added in vanilla 1.8 (tomorrow!), no idea if it's been done already by mods.
Uh guys.
1.8 is out.

Heyo! I got a 1.8 SMP server up and running. It's a small server of about ~10 people (mostly from gog.com) and if you'd like a friendly place to check out all the update goodness, we'd love you have you. :D

Check out our servers thread here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143158.msg5620139#msg5620139

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18641 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »

Oh, hooray, I entered the same seed to generate a new world, and it did come out okay! Same biomes in the same places. No giant tree on top of the mountain, but the waterfall is still there, and the field of purple flowers, so I'll just build a tower on top instead. I will definitely cheat through the research as much as possible, though. Once is enough for that stuff. So much work to go through just to access the most basic magic stuff! In order to research my very first thing, I had to get two fourth-tier aspects, which took ages to get to... And that was using a list of combinations! I can't imagine how long it would take without a wiki. You'd never be able to find enough research points...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18642 on: September 02, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »

Uh guys.
1.8 is out.

Yawn

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: September 02, 2014, 02:20:57 pm »

Oh, hooray, I entered the same seed to generate a new world, and it did come out okay! Same biomes in the same places. No giant tree on top of the mountain, but the waterfall is still there, and the field of purple flowers, so I'll just build a tower on top instead. I will definitely cheat through the research as much as possible, though. Once is enough for that stuff. So much work to go through just to access the most basic magic stuff! In order to research my very first thing, I had to get two fourth-tier aspects, which took ages to get to... And that was using a list of combinations! I can't imagine how long it would take without a wiki. You'd never be able to find enough research points...
It didn't seem too bad when I was doing it on the Magecraft server, but then again that had several other magic mod items with aspects of their own to scan, so I only had to look up one thing I was stuck on, and I was more interested in doing the research itself than actually doing anything with it.

BTW, does anyone know of any other mods that include some sort of researching aspect?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18644 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:41 pm »

I can't think of any, so there's a good chance it doesn't exist. That said, it depends on how in-depth you want the research. Ars Magica 2 kind of does it, with entries in your magic book being unlocked as you find/make new stuff, but research isn't the main mechanic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1380