Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2365198 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18360 on: June 14, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »

The MAIN issue with all this that Sealy was addressing is that you can't have 'premium players', or anything like that. Which, yes, you can easily paint as evil - but they're what run a lot of servers. I know a pretty large number at least have things like limits on how much land you can apply grief-protection plugins to, or how much you can chunk-load at once. You know, things which - in greater amounts - put greater strain on the server. You can play fine without them, but having them is nice for more dedicated players. This isn't "10 bucks to access the nether", it's "10 bucks to use up enough extra memory on our server that we need your 10 bucks".

Most servers will be fine, yeah. But minecraft servers benefit from a large player base. Thus, they benefit from allowing people to play for free, because it enhances the experience of the paying players. This removes their ability to actually encourage paying in any gameplay-significant way, even IF the core experience is left alone. Will this shut down tons of servers and spell the end of minecraft or something like that? No, of course not. But it is banning something that a lot of very good servers need to cover their operating costs at the standard of service they currently provide.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18361 on: June 14, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »

It sounds like a fix on as much of the bad as possible, but its certainly not a cure-all, after seeing dragnar's point. They've got to put a line between gameplay feature (buckets, nether, etc) and extra server strain (most bukkit-based features, probably) somewhere.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18362 on: June 14, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »

... This isn't "10 bucks to access the nether", it's "10 bucks to use up enough extra memory on our server that we need your 10 bucks".
..... But it is banning something that a lot of very good servers need to cover their operating costs at the standard of service they currently provide.

Those servers will have to find a different way, because Mojang says tiered players isn't okay.  Plenty of alternates for revenue from which to choose.

As I said above, Mojang is being incredibly chill about all this.  They don't have to play nice on these matters, legally, but they are.  People shouldn't forget that.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #18363 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »

Ok, question. Any servers that are friendly running either resonant rise, yogs complete, or something else huge on mods?
I run a lan server for my brothers, but wanna find something with other people that's possible, as i can't portforward..

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: June 15, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

Ok, question. Any servers that are friendly running either resonant rise, yogs complete, or something else huge on mods?
I run a lan server for my brothers, but wanna find something with other people that's possible, as i can't portforward..

From the mods thread:
You could play on spelltek, its resonant rise 2.8.3.8 right now; has plenty of the magic mods like ars magica and witchery and thuamcraft and lots of other neat stuff like galacticraft and computercraft and such, no whitelist or border, been linked in this thread before but its changed address and I think owners and admins since then; I'm now an admin (http://www.atlauncher.com/downloads/) (s41.hosthorde.com:25879)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »

There's nothing now that I know of, but Forsaken's supposed to be starting a modded server sometime soon, I hear.

On a nonsequitur, REEED STONE.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:38:55 pm by Remuthra »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #18366 on: June 15, 2014, 08:41:19 pm »

thanks, will check that out and watch for updates by forsaken

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:03 am »

I might be trying a mods server again (a very small one, but large on mods) soonish, but I'd second forsaken if he gets one going; he's pretty good at running them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #18368 on: June 16, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

I might be trying a mods server again (a very small one, but large on mods) soonish, but I'd second forsaken if he gets one going; he's pretty good at running them.
Oooh, like how many lots of mods  :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: June 16, 2014, 03:21:59 pm »

Oooh, like how many lots of mods  :D
Its untested so far (and unplayable at the moment, I must acquire more ram to actually run a modserv on here, and then test if it works, etc), but I've been compiling a list here (list subject to random changes, silliness, etc until its settled, MC 1.6.4), since I haven't played mods in ages and am figuring out what the recent ftb packs are made of by looking everything up. Its not going to be on its own server or anything, just a desktop.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:24:11 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18370 on: June 16, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »

I recommend biomes o' plenty, as well. It's a good mod.

Just make sure to change one of the config files so that BoP biomes can be found in Default mode.
There might be less conflicts that way.

I would also like to see Tinkers Construct.
And (maybe) Thaumcraft, as it seem to be compatible with BoP.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18371 on: June 16, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »

Top of my list would be things like Witchery and Blood Magic.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18372 on: June 16, 2014, 05:43:06 pm »

Witchery seem to be quite interesting, don't know much about Blood Magic tough.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18373 on: June 16, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »

I would also like to see Tinkers Construct.
And (maybe) Thaumcraft, as it seem to be compatible with BoP.
You would see it if you refreshed the page :P
The whole point of it being in dropbox (instead of a forum post) is so that it updates (more or less) as soon as I add to it, if you refresh the page so it grabs the updated text.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:07:31 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #18374 on: June 16, 2014, 10:23:57 pm »

Any word on mekanism or roaterycraft?
Also, thoughts on just running a premade pack, or only custom?
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1380