Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425974 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #13815 on: November 09, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: November 09, 2011, 12:18:31 pm »

Am I the only one who has ever thought about using a diamond sword for everything? Swords seem to damage all blocks faster then your fist, and while not being as fast as the specicfic tools, only takes up one space when compared to the 3 spaces the specific tools take up.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13817 on: November 09, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »

You'd have to check that a diamond sword could succesfully mine certain blocks that normally need a diamond pick.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: November 09, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »

You'd have to check that a diamond sword could succesfully mine certain blocks that normally need a diamond pick.

I doubt you can so I guess not everything, but for mass clearing and adjustments to your house it is useful.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »

Swords take double damage when destroying blocks, so you'd burn through your diamonds pretty quickly.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »

But they only cost 2 diamonds to make, so you'd only burn through 33% more diamonds than using picks/axes. 300% more diamonds than using a shovel though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:38 pm »

Well since your replacing 3 items, it would be 2 out of 7 diamonds. But Once you use up that first diamond sword, you have to make another. So I guess the question is, can 3 diamond swords break as many blocks as a pickaxe, shovel, and axe do?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:23 pm »

... No. Diamond tools all have the same durability. Using a sword for anything but killing mobs results in a double-durability loss, so a sword will break half as many blocks as the appropriate tool before wearing away. But 'half as many blocks' is still rather a lot, so you wouldn't have to carry three swords all the time.

(Honestly the only reason to use diamond tools anyway is for the extra speed or damage, so I don't see the point in using a sword for mining... Isn't it about the same speed as a stone pick?)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: November 09, 2011, 02:12:45 pm »

God it takes ages to get Dark Matter now. First dark matter item to get.. Watch of Flowing Time.

Got 4 collectors making mobius fuel and another making gunpowder from glowstone dust. With the PS two gunpowder = 6 glowstone dust, rinse and repeat until rolling in glowstone dust.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:37 pm »

Collectors? Is that some new item in the 1.8 technic pack?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: November 09, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »

Collectors? Is that some new item in the 1.8 technic pack?
Nope. Item in the newer EE, changed a bunch of stuff.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: November 09, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

Aye the new version of EE, v5.x has changed how everything works.

There are no aggregators anymore, you have collectors, condensers and antimatter relays. I like how it works, it's a slow burner which I like but once people start to think of ways to make farms with BC it'll get quicker.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: November 09, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »

... No. Diamond tools all have the same durability. Using a sword for anything but killing mobs results in a double-durability loss, so a sword will break half as many blocks as the appropriate tool before wearing away. But 'half as many blocks' is still rather a lot, so you wouldn't have to carry three swords all the time.
For Pickaxe: 1[pickaxe] * 3[diamonds] = 1563[blocksDestroyed]  (it is one durability per block?)
For Swords: 1563[blocksDestroyed] = 2[swords] * 2[diamond] ==> 4 diamonds per same amount of blocks as a pick, so you waste 1 diamond per 1563 blocks by using a sword.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: November 09, 2011, 03:15:32 pm »

For Pickaxe: 1[pickaxe] * 3[diamonds] = 1563[blocksDestroyed]  (it is one durability per block?)
For Swords: 1563[blocksDestroyed] = 2[swords] * 2[diamond] ==> 4 diamonds per same amount of blocks as a pick, so you waste 1 diamond per 1563 blocks by using a sword.

Nah you waste more then that. You would have to compare it to all the tools which means the shovel.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: November 09, 2011, 05:01:44 pm »

Nah you waste more then that. You would have to compare it to all the tools which means the shovel.
Meh, I considered it based on stone since that's what I end up breaking all the time, but sure.  It's much worse than with a shovel, but the pick/axe are the same ratio.

Using : Instead of appropriate
Sword Diamonds : Pick/Axe Diamonds => 4:3
Sword Diamonds : Shovel Diamond => 4:1
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1380