Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419504 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10770 on: July 28, 2011, 04:19:40 pm »

Quote from: Notch
(they stop being peaceful if you look straight at them)
You may now resume excreting construction materials.
*Hugs*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:27 pm »

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Go deep, deep underground, and never look up from the stone you mine.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »

Well, there goes the rest of my reasons for playing on anything except Peaceful. Dear god notch, your game already scares the shit outa me D:

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:26 pm »

But it's not as fun on Peaceful! Breaking into a dark cave (and especially dungeons) is one of the most fun parts of Minecraft! I guess that's why I'm looking forward to the Adventure update so much.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:12 pm »

But it's not as fun on Peaceful! Breaking into a dark cave (and especially dungeons) is one of the most fun parts of Minecraft! I guess that's why I'm looking forward to the Adventure update so much.
Same here, I never really liked the idea most people have about minecraft being a giant virtual lego set. I have been waiting for the adventure update since indev and infdev had their first release.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:32 pm »

I hate playing Minecraft like legos. I hate building things in general (Well, usually.). I get freaked out easy though; the sounds of skeletons behind a wall make me pull out the TNT.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »

On the contrary, my favorite part of Minecraft is the building. I prefer building giant mega-constructions over fighting monsters.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »

So isn't it glorious that it caters to both playstyles
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: July 28, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »

On the contrary, my favorite part of Minecraft is the building. I prefer building giant mega-constructions over fighting monsters.
Odd how I really dislike people who get their tighty whities in a twist over some minor gameplay or server featore or not having some hard to add feature, yet still have a bit of resentment for Creative Mode 2.0 not being out already. Gimmie my creative with lighting and new blocks Notch.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: July 28, 2011, 05:51:50 pm »

So isn't it glorious that it caters to both playstyles

Yep, single tear.

Would be cool to see a server where players built up huge sprawling dungeons, and other players adventured in them but never dug or built (including torches and ladders etc). I've been jonesing for Eye of the Beholder lately though, so maybe it's the dungeon crawl that I'm hoping for.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:28 pm »

double obsidian walls with magma sources in between would be kinda hard to get through.

Assuming no server mods, mine the outer layer of obsidian, then rapidly place a dirt block behind it to kill the magma source block there. Mine out said dirt block, and IIRC no magma should be capable of flooding out. At which point, you can mine the inner wall, add a dirt block above your new tunnel to stop magma falling on your head, and volia, a safe tunnel. Expand from 1x1 to 2x1 and you're in! Multi-layer magma might be harder, but only a bit.

Alternately, come in through the roof. Only needs a 1x1 hole, and best of all, you're totally safe from magma while digging it! (Plus, if all you want to do is grief the house, not steal its items, letting magma in through the ceiling is pretty much all you'd need to do. No fancy engineering or buckets required!  :P )

Alternately alternately, figure out how you get in. Iron doors are cute but easily destroyed. Redstone circuits to open them, meanwhile, can be traced - if they're outside the house, you can bypass them, and if they're inside the house, you can follow the circuitry inside. And if you have to use your own diamond pick to overcome your own defenses, then you're making your own life a lot harder in exchange for a minimal level of protection.

So, no. Unless you've got block-protection server mods, there's no way to delay a griefer for more than a few minutes. The best you can hope for is that a griefer sees your house and goes, "Nah, more fun to be had elsewhere" instead of "Wow, that house is well protected. Must be really valuable stuff inside!"

Well, if you want to just delay them for a while, spam lava sources at sky limit above your house and enflug it in several layers of lava, then they will have to destroy the lava sources at the top and wait for the lava to finish descending to reach your house, giving time for someone to notice. As for the entrance, have a combination lock that will turn off a lava flow in front of your door.

The Endermen are peaceful. If you look straight at them, they freeze and look at you. When you look away again, they run fast. And teleport.
I want 1.8 NOW!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: July 28, 2011, 06:04:05 pm »

Well, if you want to just delay them for a while, spam lava sources at sky limit above your house and enflug it in several layers of lava, then they will have to destroy the lava sources at the top and wait for the lava to finish descending to reach your house, giving time for someone to notice. As for the entrance, have a combination lock that will turn off a lava flow in front of your door.
Or dig up underneath it.
Or build a descending diagonal roof tunnel toward the house and piercing the lava flow.
Or dropping water up against to solidify the lava flow into cobblestone to create a safe roof, then mining through the lower part.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: July 28, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

I think spamming lava from the top of the world would probably just end up getting you marked as a griefer.

As well as leaving you unable to get in yourself
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: July 28, 2011, 06:15:47 pm »

You can make a relatively safe bunker from griefers so long as there is no marker of a bunker being there. The tricky part is having a door of any kind, as literally anything you could possibly have that isnt stupidly obtuse to open yourself can easily be bypassed with your fists and\or redstone torches.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: July 28, 2011, 06:19:22 pm »

redstone torches.
If your mechanics are exposed to the outside, you've got bigger problems.
Doors can be positioned to be locked when powered, but they're quite visible, and can be broken.

Piston-based hidden doors work decently, provided you also sufficiently obfuscate the opening sequence.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1380